The Indecisive Society Watch

RoadWarrior
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by Oldspeak)
But guilty people are still entitled to be defended and fairly trialled, that I agree with.
What about lying and making up stories to reduce the sentence or even getting the guilty person away...Agree with that?
Oldspeak
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by RoadWarrior)
I have read and seen enough crime movies :p:

The crim tells you that he commited the crime, and you have to invent a story which either lets him get away with it, or reduces the punishment. That would be your job. You would have to lie to the judge and jury...still soul-cleansing?

No. The criminal tells me he committed the crime and I tell him to plead guilty, and attack any exaggeration that the prosecutor presents in their arguement. It makes everything fair
RoadWarrior
Rep:
?
No. The criminal tells me he committed the crime and I tell him to plead guilty, and attack any exaggeration that the prosecutor presents in their arguement. It makes everything fair
You won't be a good lawyer if you do that. You'll be "fair" but never successful. Being a lawyer is not black & white, right & wrong...life isn't...

(Jeez, I sound old!)
Oldspeak
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What about lying and making up stories to reduce the sentence or even getting the guilty person away...Agree with that?

I agree that guilty people should still be defended.
Look, some barristers do make up stories, I personally would not. As I said just a second ago, all I would do would be to make sure that the prosecutor wasn't twisting the facts and presenting the criminal in a disproportionately evil way. Especially if the guilty person had done something by accident. By soul cleansing I mean I want enforce the law properly and represent and defend people in the face of adversity and present their cases fairly.
RoadWarrior
Rep:
?
Yeah, but who would emply you if there was a lawyer who could lie and get their client away from prison?
Oldspeak
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You won't be a good lawyer if you do that. You'll be "fair" but never successful. Being a lawyer is not black & white, right & wrong...life isn't...

(Jeez, I sound old!)

Ok basically, when you defend someone who openly admits to being guilty, then it's not about being a 'good' lawyer and winning the case, it's just about representing them and ensuring the prosecutor doesn't go off on one and make the criminal look like a bin bag. When the person you're defending claims not to be guilty but is lying to you, then there really really isn't a lot you can do, though it's your fault for believeing them in the first place.
trance addict
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

(Jeez, I sound old!)
what about a murderer sitting on your table, imagine he'd murdered someones whole family a few weeks back and you still had to treat him and save his life

could you?
billet-doux
Badges: 2
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by trance addict)
what about a murderer sitting on your table, imagine he'd murdered your whole family a few weeks back and you still had to treat him and save his life

could you?
That would never happen. Legally, you wouldn't be allowed to treat him.
trance addict
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I agree that guilty people should still be defended.
Look, some barristers do make up stories, I personally would not. As I said just a second ago, all I would do would be to make sure that the prosecutor wasn't twisting the facts and presenting the criminal in a disproportionately evil way. Especially if the guilty person had done something by accident. By soul cleansing I mean I want enforce the law properly and represent and defend people in the face of adversity and present their cases fairly.
yep, innocent until proven guility
RoadWarrior
Rep:
?
what about a murderer sitting on your table, imagine he'd murdered sometimes whole family a few weeks back and you still had to treat him and save his life

could you?
That's absurd and unrealistic.
Oldspeak
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah, but who would emply you if there was a lawyer who could lie and get their client away from prison?

being a good lawyer is about keeping an innocent person away from prison. It is very very difficult to lie by the way because everything- timings, evidence etc is tested very precisely.
trance addict
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by piece_by_piece)
That would never happen. Legally, you wouldn't be allowed to treat him.
what if he was dying in prison or something?

and yeah i realised that so i changed the hypothetical situation
trance addict
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
That's absurd and unrealistic.
just answer yes or no haha

also 99% of medics our age ive seen want to do it for the cash
RoadWarrior
Rep:
?
Ok basically, when you defend someone who openly admits to being guilty, then it's not about being a 'good' lawyer and winning the case, it's just about representing them and ensuring the prosecutor doesn't go off on one and make the criminal look like a bin bag. When the person you're defending claims not to be guilty but is lying to you, then there really really isn't a lot you can do, though it's your fault for believeing them in the first place.
Why would someone employ you if some other lawyer could get the criminal a lower sentence?
Oldspeak
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
what about a murderer sitting on your table, imagine he'd murdered someones whole family a few weeks back and you still had to treat him and save his life

could you?
I presume you're going back to the doctor discussion? If you're referring to law, then all I would do would be to explain the reasons behind the murderer's actions. Explain his motive and as I've said so many times, make sure the prosecutor was being fair and not exaggerating. I wouldn't try to make him not go to prison.
billet-doux
Badges: 2
Report 11 years ago

Yes, I'd save him.
RoadWarrior
Rep:
?

no, but that means nothing.

Well, I guess I'm in the 1%, even though many people I know who wanna do it have either not thought about it, or seriously want to do it.
Oldspeak
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Why would someone employ you if some other lawyer could get the criminal a lower sentence?
How would they know that someone else could get a lower sentence? I WOULD get a lower sentence if the person deserved one.
Oldspeak
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

could you?
yes.
trance addict
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
How would they know that someone else could get a lower sentence? I WOULD get a lower sentence if the person deserved one.
either way its your JOB to defend that murderer, leaving all personal emotions aside i'd do my job as best as i could as far as keeping him out of jail if possible by defending him. morally thats bent but its what youre paid to do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads