The Student Room Group

Migrant Worker evidence

Hi, I’m a continuing EU student and my tuition fee loan as well as maintenance loan has been already accepted for next academic year. I have a migrant worker and independent student status. I used to send evidence in a form of a letter form the employer confirming that I’m working before every maintenance loan instalment. What if I’d change the job and the new employer would pay only cash in hand? I understand I’ll have to register for tax self assessment, but is a letter from employer still enough in this case or does SFE check with HMRC my work status? Should I consider registering as a self-employed, would it make it easier in case I’d be changing jobs during the year? And generally what’s the best way to do it all with keeping all taxes in place and keeping the migrant worker independent status? Thank you very much in advance!
P.
Original post by pineapple55
Hi, I’m a continuing EU student and my tuition fee loan as well as maintenance loan has been already accepted for next academic year. I have a migrant worker and independent student status. I used to send evidence in a form of a letter form the employer confirming that I’m working before every maintenance loan instalment. What if I’d change the job and the new employer would pay only cash in hand? I understand I’ll have to register for tax self assessment, but is a letter from employer still enough in this case or does SFE check with HMRC my work status? Should I consider registering as a self-employed, would it make it easier in case I’d be changing jobs during the year? And generally what’s the best way to do it all with keeping all taxes in place and keeping the migrant worker independent status? Thank you very much in advance!
P.

Hello,

If you are changing jobs then we would require evidence of your P45 and then contract of employment from your new employer. If you have an employer then they should be providing you with a payslip and you wouldn't be classed as self employed.

Regards, Duncan
Reply 2
Thank you!

Could you also advise whether a migrant worker student can or cannot be self-employed? If doing regular jobs throughout the term but reporting for tax purposes with self- assessment? What would be the evidence required? Some invoices?
Thank you
Thank you!

Could you also advise whether a migrant worker student can or cannot be self-employed? If doing regular jobs throughout the term but reporting for tax purposes with self- assessment? What would be the evidence required? Some invoices?
Thank you

Hi there,

Yes a Migrant Worker can be self employed, if you are switching from employment to self employment you will need to send us the following:
-P45 from previous employer
-Evidence of being registered as self employed with HMRC (UTR letter)
-Most recent invoices and corresponding bank statements
-Evidence of any business expenditure (if available)

Please send your evidence to:
EU Migrant Worker Team
Student Finance England
PO Box 89
Darlington
DL1 9AZ

Thanks, Ashley.
Reply 4
Hi
I was wondering how one would go about a case when being self employed and getting paid in cash? Are the invoices a sufficient evidence?
Thank you
Hi
I was wondering how one would go about a case when being self employed and getting paid in cash? Are the invoices a sufficient evidence?
Thank you

Hi there,

Is this to apply?

Regards,
Nihad
Reply 6
I’ve already been accepted as a Migrant Worker and sorted out the term evidence for the first instalment, just have been meaning to quit the job that pays me PAYE as their hours are not suitable for my full time course and just work as self employed (I’m already registered with HMRC) bartender where a small company provides flexible hours and but they pay only cash for they part time workers, so I was wondering if I can do that and what evidence to send for next term?

Thank you!
I’ve already been accepted as a Migrant Worker and sorted out the term evidence for the first instalment, just have been meaning to quit the job that pays me PAYE as their hours are not suitable for my full time course and just work as self employed (I’m already registered with HMRC) bartender where a small company provides flexible hours and but they pay only cash for they part time workers, so I was wondering if I can do that and what evidence to send for next term?

Thank you!

You will need to send us proof of your registration with HMRC as self employed (UTR letter or tax return) and your P45. For termly evidence, you need to send invoices and corresponding bank statements.

Regards,
Nihad
Reply 8
Thank you!
That information I did have before, however what I keep asking about is: is it okay if I only send invoices but without ‘corresponding bank statements’ as the company only pays in cash? Sorry, just need to be clear on that as I don’t want to have delays with any of my term evidence.
Thank you!
That information I did have before, however what I keep asking about is: is it okay if I only send invoices but without ‘corresponding bank statements’ as the company only pays in cash? Sorry, just need to be clear on that as I don’t want to have delays with any of my term evidence.

We would require both, but if you cannot produce one then you need to send a cover letter to the Migrant Worker Team to explain why and they will make a decision on what to do.

Regards,
Nihad
Original post by SFE Nihad
We would require both, but if you cannot produce one then you need to send a cover letter to the Migrant Worker Team to explain why and they will make a decision on what to do.

Regards,

Thank you, also do you think there would be a better chance of that being accepted if I’d send statements proving I’ve been regularly putting money that are mentioned on the invoices into my account myself? Or a letter from the company I do that self-employed work for confirming I regularly work for them?
regards
P
Thank you, also do you think there would be a better chance of that being accepted if I’d send statements proving I’ve been regularly putting money that are mentioned on the invoices into my account myself? Or a letter from the company I do that self-employed work for confirming I regularly work for them?
regards
P

I would still recommend sending the bank statements. I cannot confirm if they will deem this acceptable or not as they need to see it first.

Regards,
Nihad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending