secretmessages
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
For 2009 entry, sorry if this has already been brought up, I've looked around but it's hard to search for. It's from the UCAS website:

If applicant achieves better grades than required for their firmly accepted offer, they may look for an alternative course that has places available whilst still holding their original choice. Full details of the process will be available closer to the time.
I'm not a 2009 entry but interested to note this change. Does anyone know anything about this?
RosiePosiePuddingAndPie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Surely it just means that in August, after results day, they can look on Clearing if they think they should go to a better university?
kingofgods
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by RosiePosiePuddingAndPie)
Surely it just means that in August, after results day, they can look on Clearing if they think they should go to a better university?

yeah but i thought u cant go through clearing if you hold a firm offer i think the OP is saying now you will be able to
Ariana123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
that's really unfair that they did this now, my brother had to go to quite a bad university in the end because they had to go on his AS grades (which he did terrible in), but then ended up getting AAB
secretmessages
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
It's never been done before though. Up until this year, your firm is the university you go to, if you get the grades... and now they're changing it :confused: Ah well, just wondering.
Melly West
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah I heard about that, sounds really good I think!

Especially for those who unfairly miss out on uni places purely due to volume of applicants but get the grades anyway, gives a second chance.
kcfch
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
it is changing. basically, if you do much better than expected, you can look at better unis and see if you can get a place there, whilst holding your firm offer. Even oxbridge will need to reconsider applicants that do better than expected. sucks for everyone else that applied this year and all years before that though :/
juicyfruit
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
But does that mean you can still go to your firm offer if that's what you want?
They won't make you choose a university with better grades will they?
I want to apply to a university with BBC, I believe I can achieve higher than that, but I just really like the university, the course, the location, atmosphere and everything about it, regardless of the asking grades.
thetoothfairy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
does this mean you can hold the offer while apply to other Uni's? Because that will help A TONNNNEE!!
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
This will only apply in 2009 not for 2008, and the process is yet to be published. The principle is that some people who get higher grades than they expected can - if they want to - look around to see if they can find something "better" while still holding on to the offer they already have. For this to stand any chance of working the window in which to do it is going to have to be very small - like a few days - all the more reason for the 2009 applicants not to be away from home on Results Day. IIRC the unis weren't too keen on this proposal but it was decided to go for it, on the assumption that there are *many* students whose grades are under-predicted and therefore don't aim "high" in their uni choices. Personally, I really don't see very highly ranked unis and/or really competitive courses being either able or willing to hold places for such students, so in practice I think this is going to be of limited value overall.
historography
Report 10 years ago
This is very true but not all universities will be available dpending on the course. Degrees such as law, medicine, civil engineering etc the very demanding subjects will definitely not be available in the top uni's someone i know got to do zoology at warwick after achieving three A's and predicted 3 c's at AS.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
3.85%
They might tell the bully (5)
9.62%
I don't think they'd understand (9)
17.31%
It might lead to more bullying (19)
36.54%
There's nothing they could do (17)
32.69%

Watched Threads