The Student Room Group

Anxiety and getting fitter

For some background I am female and what you might call “fat thin”
I am at an okay BMI and bony in places like wrists and torso but have extra fat on my belly, thighs, hips etc and my butt and boobs could be firmer. I’m generally okay with my weight but would like to be more toned and build up muscle to increase my self esteem, get physically stronger (since I am weak) increase stamina and so I am generally more healthy, not needing to worry about diabetes or heart conditions. My diet is incredibly poor. I have about two meals a day and everything I eat is high in carbs and sugar so I’m not loosing weight from it. I understand my lifestyle is not good since I do 0 exercise and eat badly. My parents encourage me to eat more but whenever I want to exercise I have to do it in secret as they think I’m obsessing over my weight when in reality I do little cardio and focus on exercise to build up muscle. I don’t want to be thinner, I want to be stronger and more toned. Just healthier. I’ve started eating better and doing a few exercises when I’m home alone but am clueless and would like to either go to the gym or start swimming. The issue is I have bad social anxiety and there is a high chance I’ll see class mates there. I want to build up stamina at home first before I start that as to not embarrass myself. I just want to know what you guys suggest i do.
Reply 1
Original post by Claydo66
For some background I am female and what you might call “fat thin”
I am at an okay BMI and bony in places like wrists and torso but have extra fat on my belly, thighs, hips etc and my butt and boobs could be firmer. I’m generally okay with my weight but would like to be more toned and build up muscle to increase my self esteem, get physically stronger (since I am weak) increase stamina and so I am generally more healthy, not needing to worry about diabetes or heart conditions. My diet is incredibly poor. I have about two meals a day and everything I eat is high in carbs and sugar so I’m not loosing weight from it. I understand my lifestyle is not good since I do 0 exercise and eat badly. My parents encourage me to eat more but whenever I want to exercise I have to do it in secret as they think I’m obsessing over my weight when in reality I do little cardio and focus on exercise to build up muscle. I don’t want to be thinner, I want to be stronger and more toned. Just healthier. I’ve started eating better and doing a few exercises when I’m home alone but am clueless and would like to either go to the gym or start swimming. The issue is I have bad social anxiety and there is a high chance I’ll see class mates there. I want to build up stamina at home first before I start that as to not embarrass myself. I just want to know what you guys suggest i do.

Hey @Claydo66! First off, I'm not a trainer or anything like that, but I am someone who has suffered from major anxiety issues for many years and got into fitness so have a vague idea of what might be going through your mind.
If you have limited equipment at home then a quick and free solution to help is getting the app called 'Seconds' on you phone. You can set up tabata sessions to whatever you can push yourself too and then build from there.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by TG1984
Hey @Claydo66! First off, I'm not a trainer or anything like that, but I am someone who has suffered from major anxiety issues for many years and got into fitness so have a vague idea of what might be going through your mind.
If you have limited equipment at home then a quick and free solution to help is getting the app called 'Seconds' on you phone. You can set up tabata sessions to whatever you can push yourself too and then build from there.

Good luck!

Thanks so much, I’ll check it out.
Reply 3
Not a professional by any means I just enjoy going to the gym ect.
I started at home with resistance training, it really helped me to focus on areas I wanted to tone. You can buy resistance bands quite cheaply and Youtube has lots of routines you can do.
I would also recomend classes like Pilates; it's really good for getting toned and you don't really lose weight while doing it. Also you have a teacher there who can help you out if you get stuck. I also found it's a really calming class so I sleep better afterwards.
I was extremely nervous about going to the gym and I still get that way one year in, but what I tell myself is that everyone is there for themselves and you're supposed to sweat ect as it shows you've been working hard. I started off by going with a friend who also wanted to get fit, could you convince someone to go with you?
like the other two above I'm nowhere near professional but I've struggled with anxiety too. Although I don't know much about exercise, I just go for a run every other day and try to eat healthy. I would say though that the best way to build up your muscle is to change your diet, as you may already know. Because of this I suggest that you try to eat more protein, like I've tried to include more chicken and eggs in my diet because those are only the really protein-y things I like.
Reply 5
Original post by SoftGingerCat
like the other two above I'm nowhere near professional but I've struggled with anxiety too. Although I don't know much about exercise, I just go for a run every other day and try to eat healthy. I would say though that the best way to build up your muscle is to change your diet, as you may already know. Because of this I suggest that you try to eat more protein, like I've tried to include more chicken and eggs in my diet because those are only the really protein-y things I like.

Thanks yeah I understand about the diet change. I’ve been eating a lot of chicken, eggs, fish and whole grains, nuts etc and trying to get more greens in because I’m worried about iron deficiency. I’ve also been drinking more water if that helps.
Today I did a 10 workout with a bit cardio, stretching and found a YT video ok dumbbell training for beginners which I tried (1.5kg) and then I did like a cool down session which was kinda like yoga. I feel great after it all but don’t know if this is sustainable most days as it took a lot of effort. Obviously I wouldn’t be doing this everyday but I’d like to at least 3 times a week, if not more.
Reply 6
Thanks yeah I understand about the diet change. I’ve been eating a lot of chicken, eggs, fish and whole grains, nuts etc and trying to get more greens in because I’m worried about iron deficiency. I’ve also been drinking more water if that helps.
Today I did a 10 workout with a bit cardio, stretching and found a YT video ok dumbbell training for beginners which I tried (1.5kg) and then I did like a cool down session which was kinda like yoga. I feel great after it all but don’t know if this is sustainable most days as it took a lot of effort. Obviously I wouldn’t be doing this everyday but I’d like to at least 3 times a week, if not more.

Awesome effort, well done! Don't worry about it not being sustainable, you'll honestly be building it up in no time. I remember when I started running and a 1.3 mile loop for me had me stopping 4 or 5 times during it, then 18 weeks later I was running the Edinburgh marathon.
Reply 7
Original post by TG1984
Awesome effort, well done! Don't worry about it not being sustainable, you'll honestly be building it up in no time. I remember when I started running and a 1.3 mile loop for me had me stopping 4 or 5 times during it, then 18 weeks later I was running the Edinburgh marathon.

Wow thanks amazing. Thanks for the encouragement. How often would you say to do exercise? I’m thinking every other day but I’m not sure (so like Monday, Wednesday, friday and then maybe Saturday so it circles back round)
Reply 8
Wow thanks amazing. Thanks for the encouragement. How often would you say to do exercise? I’m thinking every other day but I’m not sure (so like Monday, Wednesday, friday and then maybe Saturday so it circles back round)

It all depends on the type of exercise you are doing really. To start with you probably don't want to over do it - if you do then your brain automatically tells you 'this is too much, you can't do it!'.
If every other day is manageable for you then that's certainly a decent start, but don't give up if you miss a day. Did you get the Seconds app I mentioned?
Reply 9
Original post by TG1984
It all depends on the type of exercise you are doing really. To start with you probably don't want to over do it - if you do then your brain automatically tells you 'this is too much, you can't do it!'.
If every other day is manageable for you then that's certainly a decent start, but don't give up if you miss a day. Did you get the Seconds app I mentioned?

Yes I did but I have yet to use it. Every other day works for me because it’s when I’m home alone and can workout without my parents telling me to stop. It annoys me how against fitness they are. If I do any sort just to stay healthy they worry and say I’m becoming obsessed. I just want to get stronger and more toned rather than getting thinner. Surely that’s a good thing that I care about my health and just want to get stronger. Also I feel like if I do this it will help me become mentally stronger and more resilient.

Quick Reply

Latest