The Student Room Group

questions to ask at work experience?

hey so i managed to get some work experience at a GP and was wondering what kinda questions would be good to ask the doctors and nurses or anyone else i find willing to talk to me lmao
Reply 1
Hi worked at a GP for Work experience. If you are shadowing nurses you should ask questions about their typical work day and the things you see when shadowing them.

I was not able to shadow a doctor as I have to be 16 or above.
Reply 2
Original post by mez_merising
hey so i managed to get some work experience at a GP and was wondering what kinda questions would be good to ask the doctors and nurses or anyone else i find willing to talk to me lmao

ask them any questions that interest you tbh
try to get to know more about their life as a doctor and that and about their specialty, what makes a good doctor, etc.
Original post by mez_merising

Hi,

Well firstly congrats on the work experience. It’s hard to get sometimes so well done.

When applying to medical school, the most important thing *Big medic collective sigh* is your reflection of the situations you’ve encountered. It doesn’t matter if you shadowed the biggest consultant orthopaedic surgeon in the world, if you didn’t learn anything from it.

You’ll mostly be shadowing people. So I’d say a good starting point is:

-Their main responsilties
-Their highs and lows of their jobs
-Working in a MDT
-If you’re in a GP setting, definitely see the different ways community medicine works. Compared to hospital if you’ve had any prior experience to compare.

if you can see a patient or talk to them about their experiences I think that Can be really inspiring.

Ultimately you’re there to learn about the healthcare professionals in question, as well as patient. Practice your own communication skills in a professional environment and see if this is something you’d like to do in the future. Try not to focus on ticking off a list of questions but hopefully this is a good starting point.
Reply 4
You will likely mostly be shadowing so ask interesting questions about things as they come up. It's hard to know in advance what to ask because in GP literally anything might walk through the door!

That said, some topics to think about might be:
Teamwork - working with other doctors within the practice as well as allied healthcare professionals like nurses, health care assistants, midwives, physios etc.
Safetynetting - making sure a patient knows when they need to come back and see you, or what indicates their condition is getting worse. It's relevant to almost every patient, and managing risk is a key aspect of general practice
Best/worst parts of the job, why they chose general practice etc.
Original post by Ogh123
Hi worked at a GP for Work experience. If you are shadowing nurses you should ask questions about their typical work day and the things you see when shadowing them.

I was not able to shadow a doctor as I have to be 16 or above.

Original post by syrup!
ask them any questions that interest you tbh
try to get to know more about their life as a doctor and that and about their specialty, what makes a good doctor, etc.

Original post by MedicalMuffins
Hi,

Well firstly congrats on the work experience. It’s hard to get sometimes so well done.

When applying to medical school, the most important thing *Big medic collective sigh* is your reflection of the situations you’ve encountered. It doesn’t matter if you shadowed the biggest consultant orthopaedic surgeon in the world, if you didn’t learn anything from it.

You’ll mostly be shadowing people. So I’d say a good starting point is:

-Their main responsilties
-Their highs and lows of their jobs
-Working in a MDT
-If you’re in a GP setting, definitely see the different ways community medicine works. Compared to hospital if you’ve had any prior experience to compare.

if you can see a patient or talk to them about their experiences I think that Can be really inspiring.

Ultimately you’re there to learn about the healthcare professionals in question, as well as patient. Practice your own communication skills in a professional environment and see if this is something you’d like to do in the future. Try not to focus on ticking off a list of questions but hopefully this is a good starting point.

Original post by Ghotay
You will likely mostly be shadowing so ask interesting questions about things as they come up. It's hard to know in advance what to ask because in GP literally anything might walk through the door!

That said, some topics to think about might be:
Teamwork - working with other doctors within the practice as well as allied healthcare professionals like nurses, health care assistants, midwives, physios etc.
Safetynetting - making sure a patient knows when they need to come back and see you, or what indicates their condition is getting worse. It's relevant to almost every patient, and managing risk is a key aspect of general practice
Best/worst parts of the job, why they chose general practice etc.

thank you all!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending