Full time job before University Watch

ch1mp2302
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
After A levels, i plan to go into firefighting for around 3-4 years. After the 3-4 years i then intend to enter into uni (i would be around the age of 22-23). Is it worth going to uni after the full time job and will it be harder for me to apply for uni? The course i plan to do is biology.
megan.rosea
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think it's definitely worth it if it's what you want to do! Working full time means you'll be able to save some money up before you go so you don't have to worry about being quite so broke and you get some great experience to put on your application. It will probably be easier to apply because you'll already have your results so will have a better idea of what universities you can get into and you should get unconditional offers from them if they offer you a place. Good luck!
emlythestranger
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This is exactly what I'm about to do! I've been in work since I was 18 and I'm now 29, I'm about to study English Lit!It's definitely worth doing!! I think University can perhaps be more 'fun' when you're younger in terms of social life etc.. however, because I'm settled in London and will be studying here, I've already got a group of friends etc so won't feel like I'm missing out. It has 100% been easier getting a place as a mature student than ordinary 18yo. I already had my results, so applying now through Clearing is easy, plus universities like having dynamic and diverse cohorts so being a little older is a bonus in that sense. Good luck!
ch1mp2302
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Thanks, I reckon a full time job before uni would also help after I finish uni and get a different job since I’ll have the experience
adam271
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Sounds like a plan.
It won't go down that way though life will no doubt get in the way and that 4 years could well turn into 10+ years.

Also universities like proof of recent study so you may encounter that issue in applying in 4 years time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Aug '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (74)
17.45%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (271)
63.92%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.95%
Not yet but I might (58)
13.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise