Standard Accommodation (catered) Watch

practice
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, there aren't many choices for catered accommodation beside the basic standard and superior ensuite. This bothers me since I don't like the basic accommodation and also superior ensuite. I would like a standard accommodation as my choice but it doesn't offer catering. Is there any option to have catering with the standard accommodation? I also know Bowland offers basic ensuite catered but it looks much worse compared to the standard one. I know there is something called freedom+. Can anyone explain this also and if the price is the same as catered? Thx
Last edited by practice; 3 weeks ago
TSR_Ollie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

Why do I do this?

The Universities forums get a lot of questions that are unanswered. This is often because the OP's thread got missed - bumping threads gives them another lease of life and frequently results in someone seeing it and being able to respond

If you would like to help with unanswered questions check out the first part of the list here and don't forget the second part of the list here.

Or if you have questions, get in touch with Puddles the Monkey.
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi practice,
I'm going to contact some people in accommodation and find out the answers to your questions soon!
Let me know if you have any other questions in the mean time.
Charlotte
2nd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi @practice,
You can see a Bowland ensuite room and Bowland basic (both of which can be catered in the following videos):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klSvhrcpjvc&t=5s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUf93dP_0G0&t=117s
The Bowland basic is very similar to standard accommodation found in other colleges but instead there are a lot more people per flat and is therefore cheaper.
Bowland ensuite is an option to have ensuite accommodation that is much cheaper and only have 4 people per flat.
For catered accommodation you pay the cost of meals within your rent money, hence higher rent costs.
The Freedom scheme allows students to pay for catered meals separately from rent. So for example, you could live in a Grizedale townhouse but be catered. The main difference is you pay for the Freedom scheme separately from your rent AND it allows you to eat at more locations than if you were catered. You can also decide for how much of the year you want to be catered, whereas catered accommodation would be for the whole year. In catered accommodation you would be living with a lot of people who are catered whereas with the freedom scheme you will be living with people who are most likely self-catered.
Does this make sense?
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Charlotte
practice
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hi @practice,
You can see a Bowland ensuite room and Bowland basic (both of which can be catered in the following videos):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klSvhrcpjvc&t=5s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUf93dP_0G0&t=117s
The Bowland basic is very similar to standard accommodation found in other colleges but instead there are a lot more people per flat and is therefore cheaper.
Bowland ensuite is an option to have ensuite accommodation that is much cheaper and only have 4 people per flat.
For catered accommodation you pay the cost of meals within your rent money, hence higher rent costs.
The Freedom scheme allows students to pay for catered meals separately from rent. So for example, you could live in a Grizedale townhouse but be catered. The main difference is you pay for the Freedom scheme separately from your rent AND it allows you to eat at more locations than if you were catered. You can also decide for how much of the year you want to be catered, whereas catered accommodation would be for the whole year. In catered accommodation you would be living with a lot of people who are catered whereas with the freedom scheme you will be living with people who are most likely self-catered.
Does this make sense?
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Charlotte
Hi Charlotte,

Yes, it makes sense. The video doesn't really show the basic standard accommodation and from the pictures, I've seen on Lancaster accommodation page I prefer the standard accommodation. Bowland accommodation is quite big, I've heard there are few buildings, Is it random where you are placed as a firm choice student? Also is the price for the freedom scheme the same as if I paid additionally for catered accommodation? It's around £50 per week.
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi practice,
The basic standard accommodation in Bowland will be very similar to that of Bowland annexe and county main as shown in the standard video so should give you an idea. Bowland is made up of lots of different buildings scattered around as opposed to one type of accommodation lumped together (like in Pendle for example where all standard is identical and in one place). There's no way of knowing exactly where you'll be until closer to the time but you'll either be above the square/seminar rooms in north campus or located just near to the chaplaincy. If you don't apply to catered then it could be any of these and only your requirements will make a difference (e.g. if you pick an all male flat etc). The accommodation prices are likely to change but at the moment, it's about £40 a week more expensive to go catered regardless of the type of accommodation. So this includes 2 meals a day during term time at your designated canteen (30 weeks, 7 days a week). The freedom scheme includes the same canteens plus two extra places to eat, but only Monday-Friday and you'd need freedom+ for weekends as well.
Hope this makes sense and helps you to decide!
Let me know if you have any more questions,
Charlotte
practice
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hi practice,
The basic standard accommodation in Bowland will be very similar to that of Bowland annexe and county main as shown in the standard video so should give you an idea. Bowland is made up of lots of different buildings scattered around as opposed to one type of accommodation lumped together (like in Pendle for example where all standard is identical and in one place). There's no way of knowing exactly where you'll be until closer to the time but you'll either be above the square/seminar rooms in north campus or located just near to the chaplaincy. If you don't apply to catered then it could be any of these and only your requirements will make a difference (e.g. if you pick an all male flat etc). The accommodation prices are likely to change but at the moment, it's about £40 a week more expensive to go catered regardless of the type of accommodation. So this includes 2 meals a day during term time at your designated canteen (30 weeks, 7 days a week). The freedom scheme includes the same canteens plus two extra places to eat, but only Monday-Friday and you'd need freedom+ for weekends as well.
Hope this makes sense and helps you to decide!
Let me know if you have any more questions,
Charlotte
I see, so the price for freedom+ scheme is the same as if I paid additionally for catered accommodation? How do I sign up for this scheme?
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello there,

I'm just picking up on Charlotte's reply, you can sign up for the Freedom food scheme by following the link here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/eat/discounts/freedom/

Having a look through their terms and conditions, for a 10-week term on the regular Freedom (5-day) scheme, it costs £497.50, and for a 10-week term Freedom+ scheme (all-week), it costs £661.50. The price comes out to be fairly similar to the cost of catered accommodation, or a bit above. I know from my experience as a student (who was non-catered) was that it saved a lot of time on the cooking side of things, which helps during the crunch-periods for studying!

I hope this helps, let me know if I can help with anything else at all!

William Macluskie
BA Hons Media and Cultural Studies (2015-2018) | MA Cyber Security (2019)
Last edited by Lancaster Student Ambassador; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Lancaster University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Sep '19
  • Lancaster University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.75%
Excited (150)
8.98%
Worried (302)
18.07%
Terrified (374)
22.38%
Meh (154)
9.22%
Confused (37)
2.21%