tvkradi22
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Could somebody please clarify and explain the difference between IGCSEs and GCSEs? Would be a huge help!
RazzzBerries
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey!

So GCSEs (General Certificate of Secondary Eduction) is what most 15-16 year olds commonly take as the qualification to finish compulsory education and move to college, sixth form or to do an apprenticeship (excluding older candidates doing resits or young geniuses ). They're commonly done here in the UK and several different exam boards, with AQA, Edexcel, OCR and WJEC being the main ones.

IGCSEs on the other hand, are an equivalent of GCSEs but the I stands for International. They're mainly done by students in other countries around the world who may aim to do higher education here, but they can be done in the UK as well. These tend to be for private or grammar school students, but I know co-ed schools that do them too. They offer the same courses at regular GCSEs and the courses are very similar, but the only difference is that the certificate will be for IGCSE and not GCSE.

It's often contested whether GCSE or IGCSE exams are harder but in all honesty I think they're pretty much the same.
tvkradi22
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by RazzzBerries)
Hey!

So GCSEs (General Certificate of Secondary Eduction) is what most 15-16 year olds commonly take as the qualification to finish compulsory education and move to college, sixth form or to do an apprenticeship (excluding older candidates doing resits or young geniuses ). They're commonly done here in the UK and several different exam boards, with AQA, Edexcel, OCR and WJEC being the main ones.

IGCSEs on the other hand, are an equivalent of GCSEs but the I stands for International. They're mainly done by students in other countries around the world who may aim to do higher education here, but they can be done in the UK as well. These tend to be for private or grammar school students, but I know co-ed schools that do them too. They offer the same courses at regular GCSEs and the courses are very similar, but the only difference is that the certificate will be for IGCSE and not GCSE.

It's often contested whether GCSE or IGCSE exams are harder but in all honesty I think they're pretty much the same.
Thanks for that! I have heard that apparently GCSEs are harder, but obviously I can't personally compare the two. Anyway, I did the international version (as I go to an international school in Zambia (Africa)), and I really enjoyed it.

Also, I've read that GCSEs involve a lot more coursework. Again, I wouldn't know, but I do know that my only coursework was in my creatives (in my case, music; but others had art, DT and drama coursework). Do you happen to know anything about that?
Last edited by tvkradi22; 1 year ago
RazzzBerries
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tvkradi22)
Thanks for that! I have heard that apparently GCSEs are harder, but obviously I can't personally compare the two. Anyway, I did the international version (as I go to an international boarding school in Zambia (Africa)), and I really enjoyed it.

Also, I've read that GCSEs involve a lot more coursework. Again, I wouldn't know, but I do know that my only coursework was in my creatives (in my case, music; but others had art, DT and drama coursework). Do you happen to know anything about that?
Ooh. I sat the normal GCSEs this year and they've definitely cut a lot of the coursework. I'm not sure if this has been transferred to the IGCSEs yet, but we've had this new system of 9-1 GCSEs, where the old GCSE A*-F system was scrapped and we got numbered grades instead, with 9 being the highest and 1 being the lowest. Another part of this new system was making our syllabus harder and taking out coursework. The only coursework I ever had was in Music. :yes:

I believe it's still there for A-Levels though. :yep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (192)
5.06%
Uncertainty around my education (555)
14.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (424)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (522)
13.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (189)
4.98%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (227)
5.98%
Loneliness (318)
8.38%
Financial worries (140)
3.69%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (148)
3.9%
Exposure to negative news/social media (170)
4.48%
Lack of real life entertainment (215)
5.67%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (339)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (356)
9.38%

Watched Threads