amelierevises
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone!

I’m hoping to study German and another language ab initio at uni, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for the admissions process at oxford/ Cambridge? Although oxford is my preferred uni. Is there anything I can do to prepare?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Something to bear in mind is the language courses at Oxbridge are very literary; they're more or less English literature degrees, except you're studying the literature in another language and doing your own translations. It might be worth reading some literature from the language(s) you plan to study, either in translation or in the original, before you apply.
amelierevises
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thanks, I’m most interested in the literature and am planning to read as much European literature as possible. I’m currently doing a qualification in Portuguese online, would Oxbridge look at this if the degree is mostly literary?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by amelierevises)
Thanks, I’m most interested in the literature and am planning to read as much European literature as possible. I’m currently doing a qualification in Portuguese online, would Oxbridge look at this if the degree is mostly literary?
Maybe, I suppose if anything it demonstrates some engagement with the language learning aspect (which is still part of the course, just to the aim of reading the literature in the original). I don't think it's going to be worth going out of your way to do, but if it's something that interests you and you enjoy it then by all means stick with it.

I believe Oxford Mum's child did a languages degree at Oxford, and so she may be able to advise on some of the admissions aspects.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 year ago
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you, artful lounger

Yes, my son has just graduated from his Oxford German degree and has written a chapter about it in my book Oxford demystified which is a free guide to applying to Oxford. When I get to work I will send you the link, and also the link to the general chapters as well. This weekend I will be blogging about how tsr, parents and teachers can help you when applying to Oxford

Will also tag you in for my future chapters
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by amelierevises)
Hi everyone!

I’m hoping to study German and another language ab initio at uni, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for the admissions process at oxford/ Cambridge? Although oxford is my preferred uni. Is there anything I can do to prepare?
Hi amelierevises

This is the chapter of my book written by my son. It tells you everything you need to know about successfully applying to Oxford for German. There are many useful links, and even my son's description of the actual course.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6054206

Here is the thread for the other chapters so far : Introduction: (Myth busting) and Should I apply?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6019770
ViveLesLangues
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would also suggest reading in translation anything from the respective relevant countries be that a novel, play or poetry. Just some literary engagement as you have already said would be good both as preparation and for your personal statement.
ViveLesLangues
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I knew I came across a post once with a few recommendations for Portuguese if that's what you want to do. These were some books recommended to someone WITH A Level Portuguese but you could find some translations of their books.

" (Original post by FionaMG)
Os Maias by Eça de Queiroz is one of the great classics of Portuguese literature. All secondary school pupils have to read it here in Portugal. I like it a lot.
Another big name is José Saramago. I personally dislike his style of writing but he won the Nobel Literature Prize some years ago, so his works are probably going to appear in your reading lists if your course has a literature component.

If you like poetry look for Fernando Pessoa and Sophia de Mello Breyner Andresen.

For modern Portuguese literature look for works by José Rodrigues dos Santos. He is a very highly regarded journalist here in Portugal and a huge amount of research goes into his novels so there is a lot of factual content, but they are very readable.

Hope this helps. "

They also mentioned Camões in the thread.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Excellent help there, vive!
ViveLesLangues
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Turns out stalking the Foreign languages, literature and culture forum does come in useful sometimes.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yet more things tsr is useful for. Thanks for pointing this out to us.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (20)
16.81%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (38)
31.93%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
10.08%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
10.92%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
4.2%
I think it's an unfair expectation (29)
24.37%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.68%

Watched Threads