The Student Room Group

GCSE 2020 Latin Set Texts

Can anybody suggest some tips on how to learn Latin Set Texts? I'm doing OCR.

Currently, I am learning my set texts using flashcards by slowly building up my knowledge, sentence by sentence (Purely because some sentences are annoyingly long).

Any tips would be appreciated.
I think you're off to a great start!
Personally, what helped me most at both GCSE and A Level was recording myself reading out my own full translation of the text in English on my phone and listening to that on repeat - it helps get the sequence and content of the text firmly in your head so you can effectively write about it, as well as reminding you of the way you want to translate each word within the context of the whole story. A consistent translation will stick in your head better than different translations of each word each time, but make sure it's your own translation so you know how you got to that translation!

I would also listen to the recording while reading the Latin text itself and pointing at each Latin word as I heard its English equivalent.

After familiarising myself with that, I would then go through the Latin text on its own a few times, marking down the vocab i couldn't remember and then learning that specific vocab item (either on flashcards or with quizlet or something). I'd then repeat that til i was comfortable with all of it.

I found these methods more useful than flashcards because they're less laborious - you're familiar with the whole story and you're only studying the vocab you specifically need. Hope this helps!
Original post by Rungirlrun!!
I think you're off to a great start!
Personally, what helped me most at both GCSE and A Level was recording myself reading out my own full translation of the text in English on my phone and listening to that on repeat - it helps get the sequence and content of the text firmly in your head so you can effectively write about it, as well as reminding you of the way you want to translate each word within the context of the whole story. A consistent translation will stick in your head better than different translations of each word each time, but make sure it's your own translation so you know how you got to that translation!

I would also listen to the recording while reading the Latin text itself and pointing at each Latin word as I heard its English equivalent.

After familiarising myself with that, I would then go through the Latin text on its own a few times, marking down the vocab i couldn't remember and then learning that specific vocab item (either on flashcards or with quizlet or something). I'd then repeat that til i was comfortable with all of it.

I found these methods more useful than flashcards because they're less laborious - you're familiar with the whole story and you're only studying the vocab you specifically need. Hope this helps!

Thank you!

Actually, my teacher makes us write out the English translation with the correct Latin word above it to get us familiar with what words meant what. I might try recording myself and listening to it.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending