The Student Room Group

How to find the sum of a series between the 10th and 20th term inclusive?

Hi,
How do you find the sum of an arithmetic series when it is between the 10th and 20th terms? The series I have in mind has first term =2 and common difference =2. The 10th term is 20 and the 20th term is 40. Given this, I worked out that n=20, because 40 = 2+2(n-1), which is the formula for the last term.

With this in mind, using the standard sum formula, S=0.5n(2a+(n-1)d, I get the result that S=420. This is wrong, however, and the actual answer is 330. Why is this? I think it must be to do with n, given the fact that it is the 10th and 20th term inclusive.
You want the sum of the 10th - 20th terms, what you’ve calculated is the first 20 terms. You therefore don’t want the first 9 terms, so you subtract the sum of the first 9 terms from the sum of the first 20, to get the sum of the 10th - 20th :smile:
you can set up a new sequence where the starting term ( = a ) is the old 10th term. then the final term will be the 11th term. the value of d will be the same ?
Person above is correct. A tip i'd suggest to be a bit faster is to set the 10th term as your a term and use n = 11. This is effectively shifting the sequence.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by the bear
you can set up a new sequence where the starting term ( = a ) is the old 10th term. then the final term will be the 11th term. the value of d will be the same ?

Just beat me to that XD
Original post by Aayush :)
Just beat me to that XD

:smug:
Y'all, I found an easier way that I think works generally. That is, seeing as I need to find a value of n, and I already know that it's between (and inclusive of) the 10th and 20th terms, 20-10+1 = 11, and this gives the correct answer 330.
Original post by Aayush :)
Person above is correct. A tip i'd suggest to be a bit faster is to set the 10th term as your a term and use n = 11. This is effectively shifting the sequence.

Sequences have always been my weakness :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest