Do you prefer/feel safer driving a manual or automatic car? Watch

DanF_2000
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So I passed my driving test (2nd time, 4 minors) two weeks ago after around 50-70 lessons + 2 years in a manual, but now I've passed I feel I want to try out an automatic car since it's one less thing to worry about. I have aspergers, and I still don't feel too comfortable driving (don't have a car yet, I'll probably wait until I've finished my first year at uni next year, when I've got the money), especially driving on my own/to new places but I feel automatic will ease my worries. Has anyone else had experience with either car or both, and which would you suggest for someone who struggles with nerves?
Cazemma
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You are right an automatic means not worrying about being in the right gear or using a clutch. you will be able to concentrate more on what's on the road around you.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
StriderHort
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No reason not to try one, mine is an older tech 06 and still so easy to drive and I love it, put it in Drive/Reverse/Park and it does exactly that. I was in the same boat, passed and drove manual for a year odd, but then got my auto by chance and never looked back, next car I buy i'll likely go auto as well.

I get the argument of driving purists, that a manual is the only way to go for fine control and immersion, but well, i don't care that much, i find my auto plenty immersing, by far my fave car I've drove.
RomainNeedsHelp
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
At this stage I would still feel safer in a manual car but once 5G takes over and automatic cars are a norm and I see the stats then I'll feel probably safer in an automatic one, for now it is still the manual car
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
In terms of pure safety I think I feel safer driving a manual car. It's only ever going to do what I ask it to do. My auto will sometimes change gear when I don't want it to, or go into neutral mid corner upsetting the balance (which is a "feature" of my transmission - slips into neutral when it thinks it'll improve fuel economy). Or say I'm doing 55mph behind some slow poke. I'll want to overtake so I give the throttle a nudge to get it to drop into fourth, and then roll into the throttle to make use of the torque curve. "LET ME DROP INTO THIRD GEAR AND REDLINE THE ENGINE FOR YOU". Thanks TCM, that was really helpful and not at all what I was planning on.

Thankfully I have a "manual mode" which makes things a bit more predictable (but it'll still drop a gear too low if you give it too much throttle), so it'll still do silly things sometimes. Overall it's very pleasant to drive, but I only got one because my girlfriend has a manual and I drive manuals all day at work so I can smash gears properly when I feel the urge but I can be lazy most of the time.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Nuffles)
"LET ME DROP INTO THIRD GEAR AND REDLINE THE ENGINE FOR YOU". Thanks TCM, that was really helpful and not at all what I was planning on.
Really? That's my favourite feature by far,

esp from start, stamp the pedal get a bit of wheel spin then explode away while shouting out the window "Oh noes! that troublesome automatic transmission! what will it do next?"
Nuttyy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RomainNeedsHelp)
At this stage I would still feel safer in a manual car but once 5G takes over and automatic cars are a norm and I see the stats then I'll feel probably safer in an automatic one, for now it is still the manual car
I think they are talking about 'automatic' and not 'Autonomic'.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Really? That's my favourite feature by far,

esp from start, stamp the pedal get a bit of wheel spin then explode away while shouting out the window "Oh noes! that troublesome automatic transmission! what will it do next?"
I mean, that kind of shifting logic works with petrol engines when your peak torque and power tends to be further up the rev range. My peak torque is at like 2000rpm so the gearbox dropping two gears and shooting the engine to 4500rpm makes no sense when I can just ride the torque curve lower down the rev range.

It was an absolute dog of a gearbox when I bought the car and was barely driveable. I've massaged it enough (read: four fluid changes to get rid of the stinking brown stuff that was in there, swapped out TCMs, cleaned all the ground points, cleaned all the harness plugs, and replaced all nine shift solenoids) to make it half decent now but it's still not quite right. I'm still getting trouble codes for the N93 Line Pressure solenoid which would explain the rough shifts, but it's a brand new solenoid. Sooo it's either still a dodgy TCM or a wiring issue. I'm hoping the shift logic will be a bit more agreeable once I get it up and running 100%.
Last edited by Nuffles; 2 weeks ago
julietlima3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think I'd still prefer a manual just for the fine control over it. But it seems most higher end cars that aren't performance cars are automatic these days.

When driving on the continent, I always try and hire an automatic, because I don't want to deal with changing gears with my right hand
LeMansClivey
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Nuffles)
I mean, that kind of shifting logic works with petrol engines when your peak torque and power tends to be further up the rev range. My peak torque is at like 2000rpm so the gearbox dropping two gears and shooting the engine to 4500rpm makes no sense when I can just ride the torque curve lower down the rev range.

It was an absolute dog of a gearbox when I bought the car and was barely driveable. I've massaged it enough (read: four fluid changes to get rid of the stinking brown stuff that was in there, swapped out TCMs, cleaned all the ground points, cleaned all the harness plugs, and replaced all nine shift solenoids) to make it half decent now but it's still not quite right. I'm still getting trouble codes for the N93 Line Pressure solenoid which would explain the rough shifts, but it's a brand new solenoid. Sooo it's either still a dodgy TCM or a wiring issue. I'm hoping the shift logic will be a bit more agreeable once I get it up and running 100%.
What car is that?

The 4-speed auto in my Land Rover Discovery sometimes changes down when you'd rather it stay in top but overall that gearbox suits the vehicle. Some cars would be completely ruined by an automatic gearbox, though.
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by LeMansClivey)
What car is that?

The 4-speed auto in my Land Rover Discovery sometimes changes down when you'd rather it stay in top but overall that gearbox suits the vehicle. Some cars would be completely ruined by an automatic gearbox, though.
09A five speed in a mk4 Golf TDI. Also found in Freelanders, Jags, Rovers, and some Mazdas I think. It's a Jatco JF506E (Japanese Automatic Transmission Company) unit. When it's behaving itself it drives really nicely, like I said I've ironed out most of the problems now aside from a hard 2-3 shift (in both auto and tiptronic modes, but a different kind of harshness depending on auto or tip - go figure), slow 3-2 shift (resulting in a jerk when it finally catches), and a slight jerk when stopping and going in slow moving traffic. It really was an absolute dog when I got it though so pretty pleased with the results to this point in that it's actually driveable now..
Hammad(214508)
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I prefer automatic as it is easier however manual can feel a bit safer as you have better control.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I really want one of those automatic cars that can also be switched to manual
iMZee
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Prefer manual as you have more control over the car. Automatics are good and all but a lot of people can get carried away with flooring the car and thinking it's faster as they no longer lug the engine when wanting to accelerate hard.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
15.6%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (32)
14.68%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (45)
20.64%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (83)
38.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (12)
5.5%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise