anom.econ
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Does anyone have any ideas for what I could do my EPQ on? I'm going to be studying economics at uni so I would like it to link to that as much as possible.
My initial ideas are about the environment, sustainability, development or maybe about how the internet affect the economy or how we are influenced by others or by larger firms.
I have these vague ideas but I know my question needs to be specific which I'd love some help with. Thank you so much
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The environment, sustainability and development sounds a lot more geography to me than economics for a start. Do you do geography a level as well? How the internet impacts the economy is an interesting idea, but it needs to be a lot more specific. The global economy? Or a specific national economy? And what part of the “internet”? Advertising? E-commerce and online shopping? Online banking? Perhaps something like “The influence of online shopping on the U.K. economy” or “Is the growth of online shopping to blame for the downturn of the high street”? Have a brainstorm about what areas of the internet or national economies interest you.
tahan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your ideas are vaguely nice but are too small of a topic to write an entire EPQ on. Why don't you focus on major but detailed topics in economics? Such as Balance of payments, inflation, inequality. If you are keen on sustainability, you can do sustainability and stability together.
anom.econ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
The environment, sustainability and development sounds a lot more geography to me than economics for a start. Do you do geography a level as well? How the internet impacts the economy is an interesting idea, but it needs to be a lot more specific. The global economy? Or a specific national economy? And what part of the “internet”? Advertising? E-commerce and online shopping? Online banking? Perhaps something like “The influence of online shopping on the U.K. economy” or “Is the growth of online shopping to blame for the downturn of the high street”? Have a brainstorm about what areas of the internet or national economies interest you.
yeah I'm not doing geography so I should focus on the economics instead. I was thinking of how online shopping is changing the economy. My teacher mentioned something similar to this using the example of House of Fraser and how this firm is slowly decreasing in popularity due to online shopping. Thank you for your help
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah that’s a good idea. Many high street brands like House of Fraser, BHS, Toys R Us etc have gone bust, but online shopping websites like BooHoo reported a large increase. Make sure to use multiple examples.
JammyDodger721
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You could look at some kind of economical case study of some kind and expand on that such as the 2008 financial crash, great depression, Weimar Germany hyperinflation or other things that come to mind. Looking at specific aspects such as the causes or the long term effects. For example.

How much does the 2008 financial crash still affect the British economy to this day? Focusing upon areas such as the collapse of Northern Rock, the effect in confidence it has created, the governmental strategy of austerity etc.

Though whatever you do make sure not to make your question too specific as you may struggle for research as the EPQ mark scheme favours use of books, journals and stuff you can find on google scholar.
anom.econ
Rep:
?
(Original post by JammyDodger721)
You could look at some kind of economical case study of some kind and expand on that such as the 2008 financial crash, great depression, Weimar Germany hyperinflation or other things that come to mind. Looking at specific aspects such as the causes or the long term effects. For example.

How much does the 2008 financial crash still affect the British economy to this day? Focusing upon areas such as the collapse of Northern Rock, the effect in confidence it has created, the governmental strategy of austerity etc.

Though whatever you do make sure not to make your question too specific as you may struggle for research as the EPQ mark scheme favours use of books, journals and stuff you can find on google scholar.
thank you so much for the ideas and tips. very much appreciated
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.27%
I'm not sure (33)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (239)
30.8%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.23%

Watched Threads