Time to get rid of newspapers? Watch

Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
OK, is there really any point in newspapers these days? They are expensive (for a quality paper). Inconvenient - you need to get out your house in the morning to buy them. Un-environmentally friendly - paper, transport, printing, etc. And all this for "yesterdays news."

Now that we have the internet - do we really need newspapers?
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Not a chance. Online reading is not a substitute for a real newspaper.
Kater Murr
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah, it won't happen, and I don't even read the paper. Maybe in 100 years, when people are suitably conditioned into electronics.
Schmokie Dragon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
not everyone has the internet. Take my grandmother for example. She can't use mobile phones or computers, and there is no way we could teach her to.

As more people use the internet for news, and less buy newspapers, sales and thus production will decrease.
randomgirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Interwebs rules all. But then what would old people read? What excuse would they have to leave the house other than to buy a copy of a newspaper? :p:
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i like having the physical element of a newspaper to read, rather than having to scroll through pages on a computer screen :p:
Gemma_08
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You make good points, but the newspaper will always be around, spouting nonsense and changing public opinion.
Fusion
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by randomgirl)
Interwebs rules all. But then what would old people read? What excuse would they have to leave the house other than to buy a copy of a newspaper? :p:
Watch kiddies playing around........
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
true more eco friendly, but i love reading a metro on the bus..or just sitting down by myself and reading, it's intellecturally and visually stimulating
HJV
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Slightly besides the point, but I hate the phrase "unenvironmentally friendly". It doesn't make much sense.

No, we don't "need" them.

However, as long as people keep buying them, the media companies will keep printing them. The fact that they still are printing newspapers means there are many people who like to read them.

To the surprise of some young people, there still are individuals in this world who prefer physical forms of text rather than pixels on a screen.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fusion)
Not a chance. Online reading is not a substitute for a real newspaper.
Good argument. Well done.

Oh... why?
Zut alors
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'd say people get their newspapers en route to work or college, or on their way back from a journey or the supermarket, so people don't specifically go out to get newspapers.

For those people who go out to get newspapers like Sunday Newspapers, it's more of a relaxing ritual anyway.

I agree that internet news is quick and instant, but when you get newspapers, you get indepth coverage that hasn't been digested on instant news the day before.

Internet news will never replace newspapers in the same way that internet novels haven't replaced the paper format.

50p is hardly breaking the bank. A mars bar costs more ...
Rep:
?
Yeah, but by the time you get the newspapers, something else has happened, and you know about all the stuff that's inside them anyway.
xaxa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Amazon sell their eBook thing in the US, Philips/LG sell a roll up one (about the size of a whiteboard marker) for €600 last time I checked. Newspapers won't go, but the dead-tree variety will!

I reckon within 5 years periodicals and decent newspapers will be available on epaper, and a few years after that worthless papers (Daily Mail, London Lite etc!) will follow.
secretmessages
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't think so. Although I've not once bought a newspaper for myself in my life, millions of other people still buy them, and I don't think there's any information about declining sales. I'd be more for completely scrapping CD singles seeing as sales of those are falling rapidly, but that's a whole different issue
Fusion
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by SillyFencer)
Good argument. Well done.

Oh... why?
Reading in-depth articles off a bright computer screen doesn't compare to paper format and the flexibility that brings with it.
faber niger
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Of course not. Although, perhaps we should get rid off the tabloids.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fusion)
Reading in-depth articles off a bright computer screen doesn't compare to paper format and the flexibility that brings with it.
So the quality of the messenger is important, not the quality of the message?
Fusion
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by SillyFencer)
So the quality of the messenger is important, not the quality of the message?
All else equal, the quality of the messenger does matter.
PinPin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
bus journeys would be nothing without the metro!

i don't think they'll ever go, what about the property pages and stuff? you don't want to be going through loads of estate agents websites when you can just flick through the local paper.

and there are people who don't use the internet...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
5.95%
They might tell the bully (19)
10.27%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.3%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
37.84%
There's nothing they could do (53)
28.65%

Watched Threads