The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Fusion
All else equal, the quality of the messenger does matter.

But this messenger has a low quality message (old, and already known).
SillyFencer
OK, is there really any point in newspapers these days? They are expensive (for a quality paper). Inconvenient - you need to get out your house in the morning to buy them. Un-environmentally friendly - paper, transport, printing, etc. And all this for "yesterdays news."

Now that we have the internet - do we really need newspapers?

Er, don't most people have them delivered anyway? And if not, as someone said, it's often en route to something else.
I prefer newspapers anyway, just the whole idea of it. I can't really explain further.
Reply 22
I've never sat down at home and read a paper. I don't browse news sites. I'll read through a paper properly on the train though. So for me they'll never be a substitute unless I change my use.
Reply 23
SillyFencer
But this messenger has a low quality message (old, and already known).

I still place a premium on paper format whether or not the news is 20 hours old.
I like newspapers; it's nice to read things on paper, and have something to do on a bus journey. Plus, there's more to newspapers than just news, there's also puzzles, crosswords, letters pages, opinion articles, photos etc.

Also, if you read something interesting on the Internet, what are the chances you'll linger on the page long enough to show it to someone else? With newspapers there's the social aspect of talking to other people about what you read that comes with it as well.

Besides, what's 70p max for a decent (non-tabloid) newspaper?
Reply 25
Fusion
I still place a premium on paper format whether or not the news is 20 hours old.

But they're soooo annoying. lol. The pages are too big, and they flap about, and they don't open right, then the cat jumps on top of it to destroy everything. The cat's never torn my laptop ;no;
Reply 26
RightSaidJames

Also, if you read something interesting on the Internet, what are the chances you'll linger on the page long enough to show it to someone else? With newspapers there's the social aspect of talking to other people about what you read that comes with it as well.

Ooh, that's another thing I hate. People who tell me about what they are reading. If I wanted to know - I would have my own copy! :mad: lol
SillyFencer
Ooh, that's another thing I hate. People who tell me about what they are reading. If I wanted to know - I would have my own copy! :mad: lol

Each to their own :p:
Reply 28
Newspapers at least have one use. They can be used as an impromptu umbrella in the event of a sudden downpour. Nobody in their right minds would use a laptop for the same purpose. Unless it was a Macbook Air or a Packard Bell laptop. I'd discreetly support use of the latter for such a purpose.
Sundays aren't sundays without a a good newspaper :p:
Reply 30
Axiom
Newspapers at least have one use. They can be used as an impromptu umbrella in the event of a sudden downpour. Nobody in their right minds would use a laptop for the same purpose. Unless it was a Macbook Air or a Packard Bell laptop. I'd discreetly support use of the latter for such a purpose.

:rofl:
Reply 31
Amm0
Sundays aren't sundays without a a good newspaper hangover :p:

;yes;
Reply 32
well you need something to read on the tube init
Reply 33
yesboss
well you need something to read on the tube init

The only thing I want to read on the tube in the morning is "charming extra soft" with a nice picture of a bear :hmmm:
Much prefer to actually buy a paper even though I can read it all online. Also good for when you're on the bus/tube/train/coach. Get it from your campus shop - real cheap like 20p for The Times.
Reply 35
So... to sum it up - people like me, who like to kill the planet with my car - doesn't like newspapers. People who take buses, like to kill the planet with papers. :biggrin:
SillyFencer
So... to sum it up - people like me, who like to kill the planet with my car - doesn't like newspapers. People who take buses, like to kill the planet with papers. :biggrin:

Everyone's got to do their bit! :p:
Reply 37
Newsapers (namely The Sun and Daily Mail) are good for a laugh. All my serious news is digested from the net.
Reply 38
SillyFencer
But they're soooo annoying. lol. The pages are too big, and they flap about, and they don't open right, then the cat jumps on top of it to destroy everything. The cat's never torn my laptop ;no;

Can you wrap your plates and glasses in your laptop when moving houses?
Oh, plus I buy The Daily Express for the Diana photos.

Latest

Trending

Trending