ezia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I really can't decide whether to stay at my sixth form for my A-levels, or do them at college.

I've been given conditional offers for both, and both offer the subjects I wish to take. School will have various old friends, and of course I'll know pretty much everyone. Yet most of the good teachers are leaving so the teaching may not be brilliant.

Everyone's telling me college is for "failures", which I find to be pretty ignorant, but even so I can't decide

Any opinions/advice?
cheers.
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
how do you know your good teachers will not be replaced by better ones???
-WhySoSerious?
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
College is waaay better (if it's a good one :p:)

Go there!
ckist
Report 11 years ago
In my experience college was less formal and you had to be more motivated to get on with work for yourself, as I guess with college generally its your choice to be there - so you are kind of expected to work, whereas with school its not.

College isnt for failures, its just different from school.
alexa123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i swapped from school to college and ive enjoyed every minute of it so far. aslong as the college has a good reputation and gets good results it cant be any worse than school 6th forms and vice versa.

i have found that we get an awful lot of freedom at college which is always good, but it means you have to work for yourself, and push yourself and i have found nobody will do it for you like they do at schools. College has made me more independent and ive met a lot of new people i wouldnt have met otherwise from all sorts of walks of lives to put it simply.

Really go to the place you think is best for you, obviously you want to enjoy it and want to actually want to go there each day as much as you can get excited about college, i love college and actually really enjoy going there each day- if it wasnt for the early mornings!!
but obviously you also need to get good results at the end of it so should think about this too.
i agree with 6th form, the good teachers maybe replaced by other good teachers?

only you can make the descision, it depends entirely on the colleges and 6th forms where you live.
Icantbelieveit
Report 11 years ago
i would go for school, simply because you tend to get a much better level of learning in lessons and more hours, so you'll find it a lot easier when it comes to exams as a lot of the information will already be in your head. However, college is more lecture based learning if im correctly assuming and i'm in uni atm and lecture learning is v.hard compared to lessons! You have to do a lot more of the outside work yourself, guess more about what you'll be examined on etc and even though many feel it'll give more independence, there's plenty of time for that! Also you'll have free lessons, a more structured day rather than just getting up and going to a lecture then coming home, you're more inclined to stay in school in between lessons and actually do some of the work!
And if you are going to universtity then you'll get the best of both by sticking with school for sixth form, especially as you'll have friends there who you can be comfortable with from the start and therefore lessons will be more relaxed, easier etc rather than moving somewhere new, starting to learn Alevel subjects and having to meet new people, get to know everyone, learn how it all works, find lectures etc etc...

(hmm sorry about the essay!)
Wenzel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
College is much better. Like Alexa said it allows you to be much more independant, plus if you go to a college with a good reputation you won't have to worry about teachers. At my college they were great, very helpful and used various teaching techniques. On top of that, everyone around you is much closer to your age, which makes for a better environment (in my opinion).
ezia
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Thanks for the replies.

The college has a good pass rate (For A-levels at least) so I'm not too worried about that.
And true better teachers could be coming in, but from my experience in the five years I've been at the school, good teachers are leaving every year, with cover teachers becoming increasingly present.
I'll probably go to the induction day for school in a couple of weeks, see how I like it.
Cheers again.
The Black Chuck Norris
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Go 6th form, although college is more independant, you may see yourself becoming lazy and undisciplined, MAYBE. I did, I got lazy as hell and just didn't attend classes, they couldn't care less.
punkyrocker
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
it depends what's most important to you.
results - stay at your 6th form
enjoying your last two years at home - college
i chose the enjoyment factor, and i'm still going to come out of it with decent grades. although i know i'd have achieved higher at my 6th form, i've had such a great time i dont care.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24%
No (323)
76%

Watched Threads