tekp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I'm new here after desperately searching the internet for help on FP2 next week!

How are people feeling about it?

I'm currently ****ting myself to be honest :/ I can't seem to get my head around most of it, which sucks.. and I'm resitting FP1 before as well!

Any advice on FP2?
Audrey Hepburn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I just discovered that I can't integrate any more... I don't feel too good about it
Swayum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm feeling pretty confident about it.

1) Hyperbolics - this is just C3 trig rebuilt with a few minus signs changed + just memorise the graphs the day before the exam.

2) Differentiation - nothing new, same old chain rule + product rule + quotient rule except you're differentiating new stuff which is all in the formula booklet.

3) Integration - mainly just longer C4 questions, but reduction is new (I won't count surface area as new as it's just a formula in the booklet).

4) Coordinate systems - this can be quite tough, but you don't need to MEMORISE, for example, what the equation of a normal of an ellipse is, most of it you can just work out using C1/C2 coordinate geometry (combined with C3/FP2 differentiation of course). Just learn the main properties (focus-directrix).

That's just my opinion at least. At any rate, the A boundary is usually quite low (like in the 50s/75 if I'm not mistaken) so you can afford to lose quite a few marks. And you probably already have high UMS from the other modules.

FP3 is a different story though. So much memorisation - it's barely even maths.

*Edit*

Talking about Edexcel here by the way (before some AQAer jumps me :p:)
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Swayum)
FP3 is a different story though. So much memorisation - it's barely even maths.

*Edit*

Talking about Edexcel here by the way (before some AQAer jumps me :p:)
Are you doing FP3 also?
Is it me or are the papers really long? I cant seem to finish them within 1.5 hrs... having said that, it was the same for FP2 and my strategy was just to answer well, rather than answer quickly and that worked. About a quarter of the questions I find I can't 'jump' right in (as you do with other modules) but need to be a bit cautious, this is where I'm losing time...
oh well.
The Sherminator
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah, I am not liking FP3 at the moment. I hate proof stuff, and the matrix/vector stuff throws me sometimes. And complex numbers.... let me not even get into that stuff.

Hopeless situation
Candescence
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
FP2 is looking alright, it's FP3 i'm worried about. I've forgotten almost everything about vectors and matrices >.<
alex_hk90
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Luckily I'm only doing (Edexcel) FP1 and FP2 and they're both going fine.
But I've ran out of FP2 past papers so I've resorted to using the Solomons.
The good thing about FP2 is that there is so little that you have to remember.
The Sherminator
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by alex_hk90)
Luckily I'm only doing (Edexcel) FP1 and FP2 and they're both going fine.
But I've ran out of FP2 past papers so I've resorted to using the Solomons.
The good thing about FP2 is that there is so little that you have to remember.
The Solomon papers are fun. Some of the coordinate system questions are quite interesting. The mark schemes aren't very useful though for explanations, they skip too many steps especially in the integration stuff.
Alfchick60
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What board are you doing? i did my FP2 & FP3 ages ago (OCR), i'd hate to still have to do them.
The Sherminator
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Its Edexcel, don't worry :p:
silent ninja
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Okay, good I'm not alone with FP3

Just looked at the grade boundaries, they are very similar to FP2. Good news.
The Sherminator
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by silent ninja)
Okay, good I'm not alone with FP3

Just looked at the grade boundaries, they are very similar to FP2. Good news.
Look at the peeps in TSR though, they are scary good at maths. I would hate it if they scaled the boundaries up!
We need to go on a mission :ninja:

What are the approx grade boundaries? 55ish?
silent ninja
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by The Sherminator)
Look at the peeps in TSR though, they are scary good at maths. I would hate it if they scaled the boundaries up!
We need to go on a mission :ninja:

What are the approx grade boundaries? 55ish?
For grade A:

52 Jun 05
56 Jan 06
51 Jun 06
54 Jun 07

Which is comparable to FP2 and gives us a bit of space to work with.
The Sherminator
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by silent ninja)
For grade A:

52 Jun 05
56 Jan 06
51 Jun 06
54 Jun 07

Which is comparable to FP2 and gives us a bit of space to work with.
Cheers :yy:
Yeah a little bit of margin. But I guess the jump to B won't be too many marks right? Hmmm.... perseverance for a couple more days!
Candescence
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh wow, those are really low. I always thought that since the people who take Further maths are usually quite good at it that the grade boundaries were reasonably high. Much more confident after seeing those
lynds81
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Candescence)
FP2 is looking alright, it's FP3 i'm worried about. I've forgotten almost everything about vectors and matrices >.<
I hate my school at time's like this.. We do FP1 and then the school chooses only 1 from FP2 and FP3 for us to do.. They picked FP3, and it sounds like FP2 would have been nicer...
Alfchick60
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Candescence)
Oh wow, those are really low. I always thought that since the people who take Further maths are usually quite good at it that the grade boundaries were reasonably high. Much more confident after seeing those
When making the grade boundaries the examiners take into account that most people doing it are going to be good so they let more people get As. Thats what my teacher told me - he also said that roughly 60% of poeople get As in f.maths because of it.
Candescence
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Alfchick60)
When making the grade boundaries the examiners take into account that most people doing it are going to be good so they let more people get As. Thats what my teacher told me - he also said that roughly 60% of poeople get As in f.maths because of it.
Ah, i see. I like the examiners just that little bit more now lol.
The Sherminator
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by lynds81)
I hate my school at time's like this.. We do FP1 and then the school chooses only 1 from FP2 and FP3 for us to do.. They picked FP3, and it sounds like FP2 would have been nicer...
It isn't nicer if you don't put the time in :p: Most people think FP3 is easier at first, because I think, FP3 has more maths to remember rather than fully understand, compared to FP2 where the integration can be quite difficult if not done properly.

Times like these, I wish I had done D1 :p:
silent ninja
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by lynds81)
I dont know. So far, FP1 Jan 07 has kicked the ass of FP2 in my books. I'll let you know after the FP3 exam which I think is easier...:p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (138)
17.72%
It's just nice to be back! (210)
26.96%
Not great so far... (280)
35.94%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.38%

Watched Threads