chidona
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I find FP3 more interesting, because it's just much more varied. I mean, as much as I love integration, paper after sodding paper of FP2 integration and messing around with algebra really starts to put me in a coma.

That said, I find FP2 easier to do - if only because I find conics slightly more accesible than sodding complex numbers. That said, with FP2, if you go wrong, there's so much fiddling around with the algebra, it may take you a while to find your mistake.
tekp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Wow, this has made me feel loads better ^_^ I thought I had it bad doing FP1 and 2 :P hehe.

So those grade boundaries are marks out of 75, right? Not percentages? Initially I thought they were percentages and I was like YAY :O but now I'm guessing they're probably marks..

I'm finding most of FP2 alright.. the Hyperbolics chapter is kind of a joke IMO :/ all you need to remember is to replace sin squared with minus sinh squared and the exponential versions of sinh and cosh.. :/ and imaginary numbers is pretty straightforward too, basic algebra etc.. and differentiation is all in the formula book apart from sechx, cothx and tanhx, and sechx is the same as the non-hyperbolic formula but with a minus sign, cothx is the same as the non-hyperbolic one and tanhx is pretty easily done by substitution of u=sinhx

So basically it's just integration and the last chapter that I'm finding hard.. integration is fine as long as I don't come across some horrible integral that I can't even figure out how to do from the outset, bah! o_O

Haven't even looked at coordinate geometry yet.. been at work all day so I'm thinking I might take the time tonight to pretend to revise while watching BSG ^_^
OxyMoron.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm not too worried about this paper. I enjoy calculus much more than geometry etc and considering the formula book has most of the standard integration results in it, hopefully it shouldn't be overly difficult. FP3, on the other hand, will be the death of me.

I have a quick question though. Which hyperbolic graphs are we supposed to know how to sketch?
In my notes and the Heinemann guide they've covered sinh, cosh, tanh and sech (and the inverse functions of these) but not cosech and coth. Are we supposed to know those too? I can't seem to find an example of those online either :confused:
12many
Report 11 years ago
most of the marks are on reduction formula, revolution, surface area the rest are the easy marks that they practically give away it can get tough though you gotta know your identities but its a challenge worht taking on, complete this paper and never have to worry about integration ever again
tekp
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
There's no integration in fp3?!?! :O
conroe-killed-the-k8-star
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
FP2 , not too bad I don't think except those horrible conics questions that need you to factorise a cubic expression to get the co-ordinates of intersection of tangents in any kind of useable form really.Some of the reduction formulae can be a pain to establish if you don't "see" for example that (x + 2)^4/3 = (x + 2)(x + 2)^1/3 and then multiply them out.

The low grade boundaries are a good thing , I tend with the past papers to do slightly better when they are low even though the exam papers might be a bit harder , so I hope they repeat that for this year.

FP3 I find mostly straightforward except for some complex loci and transformations , and a couple of the vectors questions are more tricky than I imagined but overally quite nice , although I like the FP2 topics a bit more as it's so rewarding when you get it right.
x_reggg
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i think FP2's harder because of the integration, but there's a lot less to cover. it's just hyperbolics and coordinate geometry really.

FP3 seems more interesting, but there's so much content to go through i'm glad i did D2 so i covered a small proportion of matrices

anyway, i haven't finished either book so i'm screwed bothways.
Swayum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If anyone's interested, I've just worked out the raw marks you need to get 100% between June 07 and June 05 for both FP2 and FP3 (Edexcel):

FP2:

June 07 - 67/75
June 06 - 68/75
June 05 - 66/75
Mean - 67/75 = 89%

FP3:

June 07 - 66/75
June 06 - 65/75
June 05 - 66/75
Mean - 66/75 = 88% (rounded to the nearest raw mark and then to the nearest percentage)

So you can afford to drop at least 5 marks.
invicta
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
is that to get 100/100 ums??? wow thats really quite low! i mean on fp1 i got 65/75 and only scraped an A (80 ums), surely fp1 isnt that much easier that fp2 and 3...
Swayum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah, 100/100 UMS - that's usually what 100% means :p:.
invicta
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
lol i was never very good at percentages u know :p: but thanks for that! there is still hope for an A just need to get my awse off here and back to work lol
12many
Report 11 years ago
thts cos fp1 is easy other than polar co-ordinates which can be tricky although there is a killer fp1 paper out there
Essex_B
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
anyone else think transformations in the complex plane are crap?
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Essex_B)
anyone else think transformations in the complex plane are crap?
Yes. I never really understood it properly in FP1, but it makes a hell of a lot more sense in FP3 though. Similar stuff.
Essex_B
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just hope theres an easy transformation in the fp3 paper like

|z|=1

w = z

What does the circle look like (Y)
conroe-killed-the-k8-star
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Essex_B)
Just hope theres an easy transformation in the fp3 paper like

|z|=1

w = z

What does the circle look like (Y)
I wish
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads