How do I go to work 6am shift? Watch

beyhive1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hiya,

So yesterday an unfortunate incident happened with my car as a giant tree fell on top of it leaving it in a completely shattered state (basically being written off).
I've contacted my insurance & wont be able to get a replacement car in time. But I have work tomorrow morning & I completely rely on my car to get there. Public transport (bus) takes 45 mins via a long route as there's no direct way & the buses don't run until 5:30/6am.

I've rang a manager & she still expects me to turn up tomorrow despite explaining what has happened. She even says I would be getting a disciplinary/warning if I don't turn up (like that's really my fault lol) However the woman I spoke to isn't my exact department manager as he isnt in today. Hes in tomorrow afternoon after my shift starts. What should i do - turn up or not/ or just visit the store in afternoon when my manager is in and speak to him face to face showing him documents/proof of my car incident?

Pls help. Thank you!!
Last edited by beyhive1; 2 weeks ago
NotNotBatman
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Use a car pool /taxicab service, until your courtesy car arrives.
beyhive1
Rep:
?
(Original post by NotNotBatman)
Use a car pool /taxicab service, until your courtesy car arrives.
The times that I need it for are unavailable and I don't have such funds
Aaryra
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Is there no one you could ask for a lift from?
Tucan Max
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm not sure how far it is but if you really need to you can always walk/ ride a bike, it might take an hour or two and is not ideal, but not too bad for a one off in nice summer weather.

Edit: Or ask the manager if someone can cover your shift, at least for my job the managers don't really care if you get someone to cover your shift yourself.
Last edited by Tucan Max; 2 weeks ago
sknudson
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Taxi or accept the warning if a taxi isn't cost-effective. There's no other options here, really. Enjoy your day off to the max.
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Do you own a bicycle?
Can you borrow a car from a friend or relative?

If you find no alternative, I'd say call in the morning and say you'll be arriving late as you have to take public transport and your cars is written off. Then explain everything to the manager in the afternoon.
EmperorNino
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That manager sounds like a right pr1ck. When will workplaces realise that accidents happen and not everything HAS to be black and white?
beyhive1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kristen1283)
Is there no one you could ask for a lift from?
Probably my dad but he also starts work early (slightly later than me) but i'll feel guilty for shortening his sleep time as he hardly rests&finishes late everyday
Last edited by beyhive1; 2 weeks ago
Fermion.
Badges: 17
Report 2 weeks ago
Tell your manager to stop being a knobhead and be more understanding of the situation. Offer to come in 2 hours later at 8am instead so you can get a bus to work.
beyhive1
Rep:
?
(Original post by NotNotBatman)
Do you own a bicycle?
Can you borrow a car from a friend or relative?

If you find no alternative, I'd say call in the morning and say you'll be arriving late as you have to take public transport and your cars is written off. Then explain everything to the manager in the afternoon.
She wouldn't allow me to start later
s817
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You have to turn up or you could lose the job because they'll think you aren't serious or reliable. Try a different mode of transport like train/taxi or walk or get a lift from someone who drives but if any of that isn't possible then you'll have to take the bus but call in beforehand to say you'll be late. Then talk to the manager when he is in, maybe ask if you can have a later start and finish until you're car is fixed.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Aaryra
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You're gonna have to borrow money off of someone for a taxi/uber then.
beyhive1
Rep:
?
(Original post by s817)
You have to turn up or you could lose the job because they'll think you aren't serious or reliable. Try a different mode of transport like train/taxi or walk or get a lift from someone who drives but if any of that isn't possible then you'll have to take the bus but call in beforehand to say you'll be late. Then talk to the manager when he is in, maybe ask if you can have a later start and finish until you're car is fixed.
Yeah that's true, I've sorted it out my dad's gna drop me & I'll talk to my manager in the afternoon. Thanks guys!!
beyhive1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fermion.)
Tell your manager to stop being a knobhead and be more understanding of the situation. Offer to come in 2 hours later at 8am instead so you can get a bus to work.
Hahahaha exactly! She initially said no so I'm getting a one-off lift tomorrow so I will discuss everything with my actual department manager. Thankya!
s817
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by beyhive1)
Yeah that's true, I've sorted it out my dad's gna drop me & I'll talk to my manager in the afternoon. Thanks guys!!
That's good. Good luck with the manager, hopefully he/she is not like the snobby woman you spoke to before.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Walk or get a lift
Aaron97777
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Who gives af about the manager your car just got smashed. Is it really much of a problem if u went in 1 or 2 hours late
scorpion95
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you know anyone who lives locally to you that would be willing to give you a lift otherwise just get the bus. You have made them aware of the issue. Make sure you have evidence just incase they do want to be pathetic and try to give you a disaplinary.
TheMcSame
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Three ideas come to mind...

1. Take the bus, explain why you're later to whomever it concerns and offer to make up for the time either that day, or another day but risk a warning.
2. Get a lift from a friend/family member/co-worker or from a Taxi.
3. Throw a sickie. Say you've come down with the runs for good measure (many companies have a policy of not allowing their employees back until 48 hours after their symptoms have gone when they've had the runs to prevent it spreading throughout the workplace, depends on company policy though).
Last edited by TheMcSame; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
17.17%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (29)
14.65%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (42)
21.21%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (73)
36.87%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (9)
4.55%
No particular grades needed (11)
5.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise