driving on motorway with provisional Watch

Cj-Tj
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ChosenOne)
Nearest thing you can do is drive on a national speed limit dual carriageway. Some are very like motorways. Actually some are classified as motorway so watch out.
What do you mean some are classified as motorway? What a load of *******s. There are many many roads which are NSL Dual Carrigeways then become a motorway, but they are classed differently where the sign says "Non Motorway Traffic <-" and shows a motorway sign up ahead. If you want confusion the A1/M is confusing at times, but non too bad.
ChosenOne
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Cj-Tj)
What do you mean some are classified as motorway? What a load of *******s. There are many many roads which are NSL Dual Carrigeways then become a motorway, but they are classed differently where the sign says "Non Motorway Traffic <-" and shows a motorway sign up ahead. If you want confusion the A1/M is confusing at times, but non too bad.
Not a load of *******s at all you ****. Sorry if you're gonna be assy with me I'll be assy back, im sure you're not a **** in real life lol. BUT, yes when dual carriageways have an (M) after them it means they've been updated to motorway status and so motorway rules apply i.e. no learner drivers.
Cj-Tj
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Not a load of *******s at all you ****. Sorry if you're gonna be assy with me I'll be assy back, im sure you're not a **** in real life lol. BUT, yes when dual carriageways have an (M) after them it means they've been updated to motorway status and so motorway rules apply i.e. no learner drivers.
Um... well some duel carrigeways are motorways anyway. Alot of the M18 is duel carrigeway, but is still motorway. Its really not hard, if it has an M in it then its a motorway, and as a learner you cant drive there. Whats confusing?
prodriven
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Cj-Tj)
Um... well some duel carrigeways are motorways anyway. Alot of the M18 is duel carrigeway, but is still motorway. Its really not hard, if it has an M in it then its a motorway, and as a learner you cant drive there. Whats confusing?
All motorways are dual carriageways, but not all A roads are dual carriageway.

Dual Carriageway: A road in which the two directions of traffic are separated by a central barrier or strip of land, known as a central reservation or median.
Meep!
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

No. If a road has an M in front of its number, THEN it's a motorway. If it's not a motorway but still an A road, it has an A prefix.
WelshBluebird
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Meep!)
No. If a road has an M in front of its number, THEN it's a motorway. If it's not a motorway but still an A road, it has an A prefix.
Some A roads are actually classed also motorways though. In that case they have their usual designation, so A1 or whatever. But have (M) after them. So the motorway section of the A1 is called the A1(M).

Thats what ChosenOne is trying to say anyway/
Meep!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by WelshBluebird)
Some A roads are actually classed also motorways though. In that case they have their usual designation, so A1 or whatever. But have (M) after them. So the motorway section of the A1 is called the A1(M).

Thats what ChosenOne is trying to say anyway/
True, but only where a section of it and the motorway actually converge - there are exits before these for non-motorway traffic.
WelshBluebird
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Meep!)
True, but only where a section of it and the motorway actually converge - there are exits before these for non-motorway traffic.
Actually, at least according to this map (http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/ima...terborough.gif), there is no motorway that it converges with. Its a proper motorway road connecting the A1 with the A14 and A414 among others. Not living near the area or driven through there I can't comment on it, but I'd imagine that there'd be an exit for non-motorway traffic though lol.
Meep!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Fair enough, I was going on the example of somewhere else. I've never driven on the A1. But yes, there is an exit for non motorway traffic, according to google maps.
ChosenOne
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Meep!)
Fair enough, I was going on the example of somewhere else. I've never driven on the A1. But yes, there is an exit for non motorway traffic, according to google maps.
man, some people are so argumentative even when there wrong.

For anyone living in or near Reading the A329(M) is a good example linking Reading-Bracknell. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A329(M)_motorway
Meep!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

Mate, how is that argumentative? I ACCEPTED THAT IT ISN'T ALWAYS THE CASE. Idiot.
ChosenOne
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Meep!)
Mate, how is that argumentative? I ACCEPTED THAT IT ISN'T ALWAYS THE CASE. Idiot.
Thanks for the neg rep! Nice. And now I see your shouting. :rolleyes:

Whenever you see (M) its always the case that it's a motorway!

Now I'm arguing over the internet with some random so yeh I guess that does make me an idiot ha
whitebuthotter
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
try this:
1. remove L plates
2. drive on motorway
3. reach your destination
Meep!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Thanks for the neg rep! Nice. And now I see your shouting. :rolleyes:

Now I'm arguing over the internet with some random so yeh I guess that does make me an idiot ha

I said 'fair enough', therefore conceding that she may be right in that post. I don't see how that is 'continuing to be argumentative'. And I'm clearly not the only person who thinks you deserve neg rep. You're an idiot.
gbduo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

For anyone living in or near Reading the A329(M) is a good example linking Reading-Bracknell. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A329(M)_motorway
And the A404(M) which goes from the M4 to the M40. Motorway rules...
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Cj-Tj)

a DUAL carriageway has two SETS of lines and a centre reservation it can have 1 -5 lanes on each accrriageway

a duel ccarriageway is a road for an obselete and illegal form of dispute resoltion

the M18 is a motorway , some stretchers are 2 + should , some are 3 + shoulder the 2 + shoulder stretchs a still motorway...

parts of the A1 which are not motorway are 3 + shoulder

a large proportion of the A50 which is not a motorway has hardshoulders etc ...
Meep!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

And that isn't what I 'accepted isn't always the case', try reading the previous posts properly. I accepted that it isn't always the case that an A road becomes an (M) when a m'way converges with it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (10)
21.74%
No (36)
78.26%

Watched Threads