40% cap rule for retake in liverpool university?

Watch
zlozlozlozlozlo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Now I know that if you resit a module(Year 2 and 3) you get your mark capped at 40%, but does that rule apply when you repeat the year and retake the module with full attendance and all of the other assessments(like midterms)? Or you get full mark?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
Check the rules or check with your department for clarification.
I used to think it wiped out your marks but not so sure now.

The board normally have discretion on whether the cap applies, so ask. Post back with the answer. Imo would seem a bit pointless to have all the year capped.

[email protected]
https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/student-.../results,faqs/
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zlozlozlozlozlo)
Now I know that if you resit a module(Year 2 and 3) you get your mark capped at 40%, but does that rule apply when you repeat the year and retake the module with full attendance and all of the other assessments(like midterms)? Or you get full mark?
(Original post by Code of Practice on Assessment, Appendix B;undefined)
3.4.1 If a student fails to satisfy the progression requirements following re-sit examinations/assessments in August/September, the following options are open to the Board of Examiners:

(i) Termination of studies.

(ii) Permit a repeat year of study:

(a) Re-sit of specific module components without attendance at lectures and classes.
The student would re-attempt only the failed assessment components. Where a
student is re-sitting a research or independent study module, the Board of Examiners
shall ensure that the student is given clear guidance as to the level of supervision
which they can expect; it is anticipated that this requires no attendance on campus
and no face-to-face meetings with supervisors and that the student is not required to
make a submission on a new topic. The student shall be provided with formative
written feedback on their first attempt submission;

(b) Re-take of specific modules or module components with attendance where the
components would require the student to attend e.g. for laboratory or continuous
assessment. Where a student is being re-assessed in a research or independent
study module, the Board of Examiners shall ensure that the student is given clear
guidance on whether or not the retake should be on a new topic;

(c) Re-take failed modules with attendance as a first attempt. This alternative would only
be allowed where there is clear evidence that a student’s performance in a module
has been significantly affected by ill-health or other just cause. Where a student is
re-taking a research or independent study module, the Board of Examiners shall
ensure that the student is given clear guidance on whether or not the retake should
be on a new topic;

(d) Re-sit a research or independent study module with partial supervision. The Board
of Examiners shall ensure that the student is given clear guidance as to the level of
supervision which they can expect; it is anticipated that this requires no attendance
on campus and no face-to-face meetings with supervisors and that the student shall
not normally be required to make a submission on a substantially new topic. The
Board of Examiners shall ensure that the student is provided with formative written
feedback on their first attempt submission and given clear guidance as to the level
of supervision which they can expect

In the circumstances when modules are discontinued for the following session, students should
re-sit all examinations/assessments in the failed modules during the next session without
attendance at lectures and classes and special papers and assessment tasks for those modules
should be set. In those circumstances where a student is required to attend for the purpose of
re-taking a failed module, the student may be allowed to replace the discontinued module by a
new module to substitute a module not previously attempted for a failed module. In this case
the mark for the new module would be capped for carry forward purposes except where the
mark for the original was deemed to have been affected by extenuating circumstances.

First attempt examinations

3.5.1 In study years 0, 1 and 2 and levels of study 4 and 5 the marks achieved by the student in their first attempt at the assessments/examinations will be used to calculate the overall average for progression purposes. Any modules with marks in the range 35-39% which are compensated
for by higher marks in other modules such that the student meets the progression requirements
will be raised in the student record system to 40%. Where these marks are obtained in study
year 2 or level of study 5, 40% will be the mark carried forward and used in the calculation of
the degree classification.

Reassessments

3.5.2 Whenever an examination/assessment is reassessed, the mark achieved in the re-assessment always supersedes any earlier mark, even when the earlier mark is higher. Following re-sit/retake examinations/assessments the mark recorded for a module will be the weighted average of the final marks achieved for each component of the assessment of the module. (The marks of any assessment components of a module which have been passed at the first attempt will be carried forward and used with the actual marks gained in the re-sits/re-takes of the failed
components to calculate the overall module mark.) This actual mark will be recorded but will
be flagged in the student record system as having been obtained following a second or
subsequent sitting of an examination or assessment, except:

(i) where marks in the range 35-39% meet the criteria for compensation. In these circumstances,
the marks will be raised to 40% in the student record system but will be flagged as having been
achieved at a second attempt. Such marks achieved in study year 2 or level of study 5 will
count towards degree classification as 40%; or

(ii) where the Board of Examiners (or, where appropriate, the Faculty Progress Committee in
determining a student’s appeal) has determined, as a result of a student’s ill-health or other
extenuating circumstances, that the re-sit/re-take should be treated as a first
examination/assessment. In these circumstances the mark achieved in the re-sit/re-take
examination/assessment will not be flagged. Examiners must clearly identify to the Student
Administration and Support Division when this is the case.

3.5.3 For the purposes of determining progression, the actual marks achieved following re-sit/re-take examinations/assessments will be used to calculate the average mark, but for the purposes of arriving at the average mark for degree classification purposes the marks for any module which
includes one or more re-sit/re-take examinations/assessments will be capped at 40%, except
when the re-sit/re-take is being treated as a first examination/assessment in cases of ill-health
or other extenuating circumstances determined by the Board of Examiners (or, where
appropriate, the Faculty Progress Committee in determining a student’s appeal). Where a mark
has been capped at 40% for carry forward/final assessment purposes and the profile of the
student’s marks is considered for degree classification, 40% will be the mark used for the profile.
So it depends, is the short answer.

Available here

You need to get in touch with you academic adviser ASAP
Last edited by gjd800; 1 year ago
zlozlozlozlozlo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I will post the answer here when I get it, it's just that I have to wait for that, so decided to ask here in the meantime. Thank you very much for the provided information.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
gjd800

Cant rep but you found the relevant part in the last sentence.

I think my point is it would be obvious because they would tell you.
If you were told to retake the year they will know if the cap applies, but in the instances I am thinking of students are retaking because of illness etc so havent been capped.

I think to be capped and have to retake the whole year is a bit pointless and I would cash out if they were going to cap the whole year.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
gjd800

Cant rep but you found the relevant part in the last sentence.

I think my point is it would be obvious because they would tell you.
If you were told to retake the year they will know if the cap applies, but in the instances I am thinking of students are retaking because of illness etc so havent been capped.

I think to be capped and have to retake the whole year is a bit pointless and I would cash out if they were going to cap the whole year.
Me too, seems too harsh.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gjd800)
Me too, seems too harsh.
Seems pointless because your degree is ruined if the whole year. Maybe not if its just a module.
I would seriously consider a transfer though.
username4525720
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This policy is applicable across the majority (if not all) universities in the UK, not just Liverpool. Generally speaking, it's only uncapped if you have extenuating circumstances. It should also be noted your transcript will show the uncapped mark (sometimes with an asterisk next to it). The cap is purely for degree classification purposes.

As for credit transfer, this can be a long-aching process, as each module learning objectives (and sometimes assessment method) at your current university need to align with the university you want to transfer to. Your 2nd year is only worth 30% of your final degree classification.

If we take an example:

Uncapped mark
2nd Year, 65% * 30% = 19.5%
3rd Year, 65% * 70% = 45.5%
================== 65%

Capped mark
2nd Year, 40% * 30% = 12%
3rd Year, 72% * 70% = 50.4%
================== 62.4%

Okay, you may have to average 7% more in your final year, but the aggro will be a lot less than doing APL forms and transferring and adjusting to another university again. I'm also assuming that you won't have to resit all 120 credit modules, so your 2nd-year grade probably won't be dead on 40%.
Last edited by username4525720; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (416)
56.52%
I don't have everything I need (320)
43.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed