AeKi09
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've got my test coming up and I'm a little confused about the bay parking. My instructor says that I shouldn't indicate when performing the manoeuvre (forward and reverse), but according to some driving school websites that I've found online you should indicate when doing it (forward and reverse). Just wondering if people who have passed their test could share what they've done and what the feedback was, or if people could share what their instructors say? I really don't want to fail based on something like that. Thanks!
AeKi09
Rep:
?
Same question for parallel parking as well in fact, now that I've that some sites recommend indicating for that though my instructor doesn't - any help would be hugely appreciated.
Dunya
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Signals aren't required. Just make sure you're checking all mirrors and blind spots for people near the vehicle.

If a pedestrian gets really close, stop the car and wait for them to pass and then carry on.
jbrdodd
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think it would depend on whether if theres any cars/pedestrians around
samh665
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It’s not always necessary to indicate when parking, but there’s no harm in still indicating.
There’s more chance of you getting penalised for not indicating than there is for you indicating

You may miss a person or something nearby, and not indicating for them can result in a major (depending on examiner)

Obviously in a real life situation, if no cars or people are nearby, indicating isn’t needed, but you can’t get penalised for still indicating. I’d indicate on test to be safe
Last edited by samh665; 1 year ago
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mine said it depends on the situation. Use your indicator if there are vehicles or people around who may be affected by your manouver.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've just learnt parallel and bay parking and wasn't taught to indicate, as long as you're constantly looking around before moving then you're okay. Remember to stop if any cars approach until you can be sure where they're going.
julietlima3
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don't need to indicate during it, but you would indicate (if there were other cars around) as you are pulling up and positioning next to the space you want to park into.
AeKi09
Rep:
?
Thanks everyone for your help! Passed my test - got the parallel parking manoeuvre, there were no cars around and it was before a junction so I didn't indicate and didn't get faulted for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (426)
56.57%
I don't have everything I need (327)
43.43%

Watched Threads