So how does this tax malarky work then... Watch

TOSCS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I'm soon to be starting a job. It's Monday to Friday 9-5 with an hours unpaid lunch and 2 x 15 min breaks. They didn't say if the breaks were paid which may mean they are, seeing as they specifically said the lunch wasn't. Anyway it's £9.64 an hour, so we're talking £313.30 - £337.40 before tax.

I'm a 19 year old student at university in Ireland. Does this affect my tax?

The job is only for 10 weeks, so you could say whatever I earn in that time is per annum.

What's the tax going to be? And if I benefit from a lower tax, does it get taken off my pay or do I have to reclaim it or something? The job is at a university library.

Thanks a bunch
Joanna May
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You don't benefit from lower tax simply for being a student, if that's what you're thinking. If your income goes over the earnings threshold, you start to pay tax on it. Britain has the PAYE scheme, which means its all deducted auutomatically before you see it.

I shouldn't think on a ten weekjob you'll pay tax at all. In England, you have to be earning over a hundred pounds a week or around that to startpaying in come tax.

I'm not sure if it differs for Ireland, but I wouldnt have thought you'll have to pay anything
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (0)
0%
They might tell the bully (0)
0%
I don't think they'd understand (0)
0%
It might lead to more bullying (0)
0%
There's nothing they could do (0)
0%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise