Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Are there any jews on here?

1) How hard is to convert?
2) How often do you go to synagogue?
Anonymous #2
Report 6 months ago
You have to get circumcised and maybe learn some Hebrew, and you have to go to the synagogue often
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
You have to get circumcised and maybe learn some Hebrew, and you have to go to the synagogue often
i'm a girl
are you jewish?
Anonymous #2
Report 6 months ago
i'm a girl
are you jewish?
No, but I know a lot of Jewish people
FutureMissMRCS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Depends on the denomination e.g. Reform, masorti, orthodox etc
Anonymous #1
(Original post by FutureMissMRCS)
Depends on the denomination e.g. Reform, masorti, orthodox etc
hey thanks for replying
are you jewish yourself? if so what type?
FutureMissMRCS
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
hey thanks for replying
are you jewish yourself? if so what type?
No, I'm an atheist. But if you have any other questions, I might be able to help.
Anonymous #1
No, I'm an atheist. But if you have any other questions, I might be able to help.
thank you
do you have to agree with every single thing in the torah to be a jew?
Anonymous #3
Report 6 months ago
Are there any jews on here?

1) How hard is to convert?
2) How often do you go to synagogue?
I thought Jews are the chosen ones and you can’t convert to one
Anonymous #1
they are but its more of a calling if you're already born a jew.
they don't seek converts and sometimes actually prefer if you follow the general commandments because it takes a long time (3 years) and a lot of dedication.
FutureMissMRCS
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
thank you
do you have to agree with every single thing in the torah to be a jew?
The more Orthodox jews follow the Torah more strictly than Reform jews. I can't comment on someone's validity as a Jew based on if they agree with everything in the Torah personally. I think the most important thing you need to do is research the different branches of judaism and see which appeals more to you e.g. Do you take the word of the Torah more literally and want to follow it to a T(orthodox Jews believe the Torah is the written word of G-d) or do you want a more modern interpretation then the reform branch might be more suitable(they beliebe the Torah is inspired by G-d and do not specifically follow Jewish Law) or if you want an in-between then maybe Masorti(follow Jewish law but believe the Torah is only inspired by G-d but not their written word)
Anonymous #1
The more Orthodox jews follow the Torah more strictly than Reform jews. I can't comment on someone's validity as a Jew based on if they agree with everything in the Torah personally. I think the most important thing you need to do is research the different branches of judaism and see which appeals more to you e.g. Do you take the word of the Torah more literally and want to follow it to a T(orthodox Jews believe the Torah is the written word of G-d) or do you want a more modern interpretation then the reform branch might be more suitable(they beliebe the Torah is inspired by G-d and do not specifically follow Jewish Law) or if you want an in-between then maybe Masorti(follow Jewish law but believe the Torah is only inspired by G-d but not their written word)
I've been researching for a while here and there but i think it will take a while before i decide on what type i wish to associate myself with.
i believe in aspects of both i kind of lie in the middle (masorti) but i feel more closer to the orthodox branch on certain issues.
i've read somewhere that if you don't believe everything in the torah then you can't convert - is this only for the orthodox branch?

Thank you for the knowledge. i really appreciate it. would you mind me asking if your parents are jewish / jewish by birth?
FutureMissMRCS
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
No,according to the Jewish law you are Jewish if

A) You are born of a Mother who is Jewish
B) You convert
FutureMissMRCS
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I've been researching for a while here and there but i think it will take a while before i decide on what type i wish to associate myself with.
i believe in aspects of both i kind of lie in the middle (masorti) but i feel more closer to the orthodox branch on certain issues.
i've read somewhere that if you don't believe everything in the torah then you can't convert - is this only for the orthodox branch?

Thank you for the knowledge. i really appreciate it. would you mind me asking if your parents are jewish / jewish by birth?
I would think it refers to the Orthodox branch since they believe it's the word of G-d. Also research on the traditions and practices.Conversion can take a couple years for Orthodox, so it is quite a commitment, so make sure you do your research first.

No they're not. How come you are interested in converting?
Anonymous #1
I would think it refers to the Orthodox branch since they believe it's the word of G-d. Also research on the traditions and practices.Conversion can take a couple years for Orthodox, so it is quite a commitment, so make sure you do your research first.

No they're not. How come you are interested in converting?
Yeah i think that too. a lot of research needs to be done but its kind of fun at the same time because i research in my free time
Wow! where did you learn so much about judaism?
I want to convert because i already believe in one god and judaism is really comforting. i used to turn to it for many years as a source of guidance and comfort during hard and my best times. i feel naturally drawn to it as if i've always been a jew in my soul. i also think Judaism laid the foundations for the religions that came after it.
awkwardshortguy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I want to convert because i already believe in one god and judaism is really comforting. i used to turn to it for many years as a source of guidance and comfort during hard and my best times. i feel naturally drawn to it as if i've always been a jew in my soul. i also think Judaism laid the foundations for the religions that came after it.
Why would you believe in this all-powerful, all-knowing, and 'good' God who lets people be born with defects that cause them a life of suffering and/or kill them? Who allows natural disasters, which have gone on since before Man supposedly began contributing to climate change? Who creates animals that hunt and kill other animals? Who permits the existence of harmful viruses, bacteria, parasites and so on? Who does nothing to unequivocally demonstrate his existence when it would be so easy for him to? Surely there are Gods out there whose supposed nature is contradicted by the reality of the world less than Yahweh's is (although it would be ridiculous to believe in them also, only less so)?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by awkwardshortguy)
Why would you believe in this all-powerful, all-knowing, and 'good' God who lets people be born with defects that cause them a life of suffering and/or kill them? Who allows natural disasters, which have gone on since before Man supposedly began contributing to climate change? Who creates animals that hunt and kill other animals? Who permits the existence of harmful viruses, bacteria, parasites and so on? Who does nothing to unequivocally demonstrate his existence when it would be so easy for him to? Surely there are Gods out there whose supposed nature is contradicted by the reality of the world less than Yahweh's is (although it would be ridiculous to believe in them also, only less so)?
This isn't a debate. theres nothing you can say that will make me an atheist.
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
i'm a girl
are you jewish?
Are you attending a synagogue? Have you spoken to a rabbi?

Beware that Jews don't seek converts, and will actively try to put you off converting. This isn't because they dislike non-Jews, so much as they need to be absolutely certain of your conviction and faith, and to make you aware that you are going to be subject to a life of antisemitism if you do convert. If I recall correctly, the rabbi is obliged to refuse at least three times when you ask.

You will have to learn how to pronounce some Hebrew, and undergo a bat mitzvah, which is a reading from Torah before the congregation. It would be wise to learn some Hebrew anyway, to be sure.

I can't give any more detail on this myself, because I'm not Jewish, though my grandmother was seeking to convert many years ago and told me what she had been through for it. I do, however, have a close friend who is Jewish, so I could ask her about it if you can't find anything more helpful on here, if you like.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Tootles)
Are you attending a synagogue? Have you spoken to a rabbi?

Beware that Jews don't seek converts, and will actively try to put you off converting. This isn't because they dislike non-Jews, so much as they need to be absolutely certain of your conviction and faith, and to make you aware that you are going to be subject to a life of antisemitism if you do convert. If I recall correctly, the rabbi is obliged to refuse at least three times when you ask.

You will have to learn how to pronounce some Hebrew, and undergo a bat mitzvah, which is a reading from Torah before the congregation. It would be wise to learn some Hebrew anyway, to be sure.

I can't give any more detail on this myself, because I'm not Jewish, though my grandmother was seeking to convert many years ago and told me what she had been through for it. I do, however, have a close friend who is Jewish, so I could ask her about it if you can't find anything more helpful on here, if you like.
thank you for this reply

Yes Jews don't seek converts and i know they will ask before I express my desires to become jewish because it requires a lot of hard work and dedication.
i actually want to learn hebrew as a language one day and i've already learnt phrases here and there

what was your grandmothers journey like?

if you could ask your friend i would appreciate it so much. what type of Jew is she and does she attend synagogue?
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
thank you for this reply

Yes Jews don't seek converts and i know they will ask before I express my desires to become jewish because it requires a lot of hard work and dedication.
i actually want to learn hebrew as a language one day and i've already learnt phrases here and there

what was your grandmothers journey like?

if you could ask your friend i would appreciate it so much. what type of Jew is she and does she attend synagogue?
Learning phrases won't help you. Hebrew is a dead language, and hasn't seen everyday usage in more than twenty centuries. Modern (Israeli) Hebrew doesn't count, as it's an artificially constucted language that's been taken on and eventually become a language with native speakers. If you want to learn Biblical Hebrew, don't try and speak it. Not at first, at any rate.

She was doing it because she was marrying a Jew. The relationship fell through, though, and she meandered through a number of religions until she wound up converting to Roman Catholicism and then lapsing. Her faith was real, but she saw organized religion as nonsense.

I will ask my friend as soon as I can, but it probably won't be any sooner than Sunday, as I go and visit her and her husband (who's a Christian and didn't convert) on a Sunday afternoon. She personally isn't a practising Jew, but it is part of her identity; her family and upbringing are Reform, though I believe they have attended Orthodox synagogues before - Jewish interoperation seems to be far more successful than Christian ecumenism. She attends synagogue sometimes, when there's a family occasion; her children have all been blessed, for instance. If she doesn't know, her mother will. If you throw me a message, I'll keep it open, that might help me remember.

I'm curious: why Judsiam?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (505)
59.69%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.08%
No- I want it (241)
28.49%
No- I don't want it (57)
6.74%

Watched Threads