The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It was depressing. It has ruined my life by making me miss my offer grades. There's a discussion on the Chemistry board, I certainly don't want one here :'(
Reply 2
it wasnt that bad, but i reall do not wan to get too confident. If you dont mind i may post my unofficial marksceheme here.
How was the paper? I didn't sit it.
Reply 4
liakwen
it wasnt that bad, but i reall do not wan to get too confident. If you dont mind i may post my unofficial marksceheme here.

yes sure...go ahead and post your unofficial markscheme....:smile:

well...the paper was ok...

how did you do the converting ethanal to hydroxypropanoic acid??? i thought that part was hard...and it was 4 marks...
ethanal to hydroxypropanoic acid?

I'm guessing that that should involve a grignard reagent or some substitution reaction like that.

I've completely forgotten everything in Unit 4...
Reply 6
well yes...grignard reagent shd be used but is there such thing where a grignard's R group is an alcohol??? because i didnt know that...i wrote this really long proces with like 6 steps i guess for 4 marks...dont know...whts the right answer...
i think i know the solution.

you need to make an alpha-hydroxyacid through a cyanohydrin. that's the solution.

u get a nucleophilic attack of a cyanide (from KCN and HCN), and you form your propylcyanohydrin. then react with water to provide the carboxylic group needed to make hydroxypropanoic acid.
Reply 8
eug.galeotti
i think i know the solution.

you need to make an alpha-hydroxyacid through a cyanohydrin. that's the solution.

u get a nucleophilic attack of a cyanide (from KCN and HCN), and you form your propylcyanohydrin. then react with water to provide the carboxylic group needed to make hydroxypropanoic acid.

old timer :p:

They're called hydroxynitriles now!
we still prefer it old school: cyanohydrins...

That's how I roll.

Latest

Trending

Trending