The Student Room Group

Anxious

As dumb as it may sound, I get anxious every time. Whether it’s because I said something to a friend that I know I shouldn’t of or to a stranger that I know they’ll never see me. I tend to care so much about what people think or say. I don’t know how to stop being anxious and overthinking everything. I really need help. Any tips will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
As dumb as it may sound, I get anxious every time. Whether it’s because I said something to a friend that I know I shouldn’t of or to a stranger that I know they’ll never see me. I tend to care so much about what people think or say. I don’t know how to stop being anxious and overthinking everything. I really need help. Any tips will be much appreciated. Thanks!

The main thing to remember is that most people are too busy thinking about themselves to worry about anything you have said.Lots of people feel this way and you will probably grow out of it.Try joining some clubs where you are involved in joint activities so you are focused on the task in hand rather than what you are going to say next.
Reply 2
Original post by Scotney
The main thing to remember is that most people are too busy thinking about themselves to worry about anything you have said.Lots of people feel this way and you will probably grow out of it.Try joining some clubs where you are involved in joint activities so you are focused on the task in hand rather than what you are going to say next.

I try my best to remember that no one gives a **** about what I’m wearing, what I’m doing etc but I was always feel as though I have loads of people chatting about me or staring at me. It’s been years, when will I grow out of it? I’m not good with strangers anymore so I don’t know if I could join clubs without a friend with me
Reply 3
I try my best to remember that no one gives a **** about what I’m wearing, what I’m doing etc but I was always feel as though I have loads of people chatting about me or staring at me. It’s been years, when will I grow out of it? I’m not good with strangers anymore so I don’t know if I could join clubs without a friend with me

How old are you?
Reply 4
Original post by Scotney
How old are you?

I’m turning 19 in couple days
Reply 5
I’m turning 19 in couple days

Okay do you think talking to your GP about how you are feeling and maybe getting some therapy would be something you would consider.It is difficult to judge whether this is a' anxiety is destroying my life situation' or whether you are just a bit too self conscious.
Reply 6
Original post by Scotney
Okay do you think talking to your GP about how you are feeling and maybe getting some therapy would be something you would consider.It is difficult to judge whether this is a' anxiety is destroying my life situation' or whether you are just a bit too self conscious.

I’ve spoken to both the gp and my university’s MH advisor, they offered online CBT (helped loads but got bored of after a while) and counselling but I figured my parents will know if I go without telling them (they’re quite strict). I think it’s slowly ruining my chances in life which then makes me self conscious which then makes me feel unhappy. I then try finding a coping mechanism which is usually restricting myself from eating because it makes me feel in control. It’s like a dumb cycle.
Reply 7
I’ve spoken to both the gp and my university’s MH advisor, they offered online CBT (helped loads but got bored of after a while) and counselling but I figured my parents will know if I go without telling them (they’re quite strict). I think it’s slowly ruining my chances in life which then makes me self conscious which then makes me feel unhappy. I then try finding a coping mechanism which is usually restricting myself from eating because it makes me feel in control. It’s like a dumb cycle.

You really need to go back to the GP and tell him this.It would be much better to go to face to face counselling and it would be confidencial as you are over 18.You could probably see someone in the daytime so your parents do not need to know.Are you still living at home?Why would they object to you receiving help?
Reply 8
Original post by Scotney
You really need to go back to the GP and tell him this.It would be much better to go to face to face counselling and it would be confidencial as you are over 18.You could probably see someone in the daytime so your parents do not need to know.Are you still living at home?Why would they object to you receiving help?

I live at home so going out without telling them where I’m going is odd plus I hardly even leave my house so I doubt I can do anything. I don’t know if they’ll let me or not but I just don’t know what’ll happen next
Reply 9
I live at home so going out without telling them where I’m going is odd plus I hardly even leave my house so I doubt I can do anything. I don’t know if they’ll let me or not but I just don’t know what’ll happen next

I was thinking it was something you could do during your day at uni once you are back.Is there anyone in your family you could talk to about this who perhaps could speak to your parents for you.It is really important that you get this help as soon as possible as you are on a slippery slope with the eating thing.I am sure your parents would not want you to be unwell.Did your doctor offer you any medication such as escitolapram as this can be very helpful in your situation in reducing anxiety.
Original post by Scotney
I was thinking it was something you could do during your day at uni once you are back.Is there anyone in your family you could talk to about this who perhaps could speak to your parents for you.It is really important that you get this help as soon as possible as you are on a slippery slope with the eating thing.I am sure your parents would not want you to be unwell.Did your doctor offer you any medication such as escitolapram as this can be very helpful in your situation in reducing anxiety.

I am sorry I will have to be heading off to bed now as I was about to head off when I saw your post.Please do go back to the GP there are treatments for this such as the example I have given.You will be amazed how much tablets can help though they take about 4 weeks to kick in fully.
Good luck and be brave as the sooner you act the sooner you will start to feel better.
Original post by Scotney

You’d be surprised what the gp said. She was like I’ve got anxiety coz of my religion (??) so I never got offered any medications. Oh that sounds like a great idea. I’ll start looking for counselling when I start uni but I’ll probably overthink it by then and not end up going (like always). lol to be precise, I come from an arab family so that should say a lot. I don’t care much about my disordered eating and that because I might end up worrying more about the calories etc. I suppose MH is a taboo in my family :/
Original post by Scotney
I am sorry I will have to be heading off to bed now as I was about to head off when I saw your post.Please do go back to the GP there are treatments for this such as the example I have given.You will be amazed how much tablets can help though they take about 4 weeks to kick in fully.
Good luck and be brave as the sooner you act the sooner you will start to feel better.

Thank you so much for your support. You really helped me. Sleep well xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending