http://eiewebvip.edexcel.org.uk/Repo...e_20080613.pdf

5B - http://eiewebvip.edexcel.org.uk/Repo...e_20080613.pdf

How crap was this?
~Adel~
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't know what to vote for..probably between a B and a low A..it was not as hard as Physics Unit 5 but still..
Mos Def
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Yeah but im quite pissed about how nothing U5 style came up, no genetic eng, no succession, no plant hormones, and some **** U2 question
~Adel~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Chromatography came up..and we were just revising it before the exam! Haha! That paper didn't require much biology knowledge to be honest..more like common sense and basic unit 1 and 2 content..
gorilla_baby
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
it was a nightmare! 1st question: what is isolating mechanism and why do biologist not like to call mules a new species? how the hell should i know? coz biologists are dumb ******s that do useless crap like stupid ecological studies that are just pointless. stupid paper..what the hell was it anyway?
Nat-the-Bat
Report 11 years ago
I think it went a lot better than unit 4 for me (I hope!), but I really dont know how well I did.
I'm just happy there was no genetic engineering.
~Adel~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Genetic engineering's easy! There are just so few things for us to know..genetic fingerprinting, and all the procedures..restriction endonucleases etc..what else can you get..since edexcel's going mad this time..they might have given us a worse paper..
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think it was a good paper - it had a lot more synoptic than Unit 5 content, which suited me better (I absolutely hate & am rubbish at all the ecology in Unit 5!). It probably means that the field techniques, succession etc would come up in Unit 6 though, along with more Unit 3, because that was missing from this paper.

Thank you for uploading the papers. Do you have the Unit 4 paper too, Mos Def?
Nat-the-Bat
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ~Adel~)
Genetic engineering's easy! There are just so few things for us to know..genetic fingerprinting, and all the procedures..restriction endonucleases etc..what else can you get..since edexcel's going mad this time..they might have given us a worse paper..
That's true, but I just had no time to learn it!
Last question was a bit random (6 marker on lipids).
effervescence
Report 11 years ago
What did you put for 1a.) and how did you explain 4b.) I was so put off the exam after the first question which put me off the whole exam, I just wanted to go home
Mos Def
Rep:
?
I just said it has a diploid number of 63, you cannot have a haploid of 31.5 as no such thing as half a chromosome lmao.

I revised genetic eng and succession and not the unit 2 stuff, hence why i did crap.
Mos Def
Rep:
?
(Original post by Excalibur)
I think it was a good paper - it had a lot more synoptic than Unit 5 content, which suited me better (I absolutely hate & am rubbish at all the ecology in Unit 5!). It probably means that the field techniques, succession etc would come up in Unit 6 though, along with more Unit 3, because that was missing from this paper.

Thank you for uploading the papers. Do you have the Unit 4 paper too, Mos Def?

lol they're essay Q sucked, our one was a dodgy 6 and a 4 mark split which was much better, and kidneys always better.
snowysnowy
Report 11 years ago
was 1a about the mule thing... i talked about it having 63 chromosomes so it can't produce offspring as the pairing or separating of the chromosomes cannot occur.. is that right?? and what was q 4b?
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Mos Def)

lol they're essay Q sucked, our one was a dodgy 6 and a 4 mark split which was much better, and kidneys always better.
Thanks! lol, their essay question did suck, I'm glad I wasn't doing that paper :p:
Mos Def
Rep:
?
(Original post by Excalibur)
Thanks! lol, their essay question did suck, I'm glad I wasn't doing that paper :p:
Yeah but it was easier than U5, im just pissed at that U2 Q, i called it a Red Blood cell without reading the vessel bit :mad:

What were the 3 lipid uses in plants?

I said, waxy cuticly - energy store - structural rigidity the last one was a desperation answer
effervescence
Report 11 years ago
Oh crap did it mean 3 for each? I was really struggling cos I couldn't think of uses shared my both plants and animals!! Probably got about 1 mark for that question.
Ribulose Bisphosphate
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I thought the paper was really lame! This is one of the units I did hardly anything for both in terms of unit 5 and synoptic but it seems to have turned out O.K.

I'm not sure whether it was easier than usual (because it didn't require much prior-unit 5 KNOWLEDGE) or whether it was harder (because they were all new situations).

What do you guys think the A grade boundary is looking like for 5B?
~Adel~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Mos Def, i don't think we were supposed to write three in plants and three in animals. It says, describe three in plants AND animals, they didn't specify, each. That's how i took it. I only wrote three, one more plants(waxy cuticle), and two for animals, thermal insulation and metabolic water.

I described quite a bit on each point and i even canceled out one of the points for animals as they wanted only three so they might just mark the first three and neglect the last one, which was described in great detail..so i didn't want to take the risk and lose the second elaboration mark for the points..

For the first question, it's 63 chromosomes, odd number, hence they cannot pair up in meiosis and thus no gametes can be produced..i think i read this somewhere.

I had NO idea what the second part was about but just guessed..i wrote: mating two species to produce offspring which is genetically different(isolation)from the parental organisms and that it cannot mate with itself or with the parental organisms to produce more fertile offspring..and post zygote as the isolation process happens after the formation of zygote..lol..

6d was really weird though..i didn't really know what to write..so i just tried my best in giving some examples..: the blood glucose level will continue rising and not return to the normal point for a long time. Because insulin has a different structure, it can't function properly. Hence, glucogenesis is not promoted(doesn't occur), break down of glucogen is not prevented, permeability of cell membrane to glucose wouldn't increase and no glucose will be converted into protein/fats.

4b and c weren't easy too..does cyanobacteria grow like a plant? But i just wrote the standard set of answers for nitrate enrichment..lol..but mention something like algal bloom and it releases poisionous chemicals and kill the fishes, other organisms which are able to tolerate those chemicals will survive and increase in number..
anti-matter
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ribulose Bisphosphate)
I thought the paper was really lame! This is one of the units I did hardly anything for both in terms of unit 5 and synoptic but it seems to have turned out O.K.

I'm not sure whether it was easier than usual (because it didn't require much prior-unit 5 KNOWLEDGE) or whether it was harder (because they were all new situations).

What do you guys think the A grade boundary is looking like for 5B?

what is it normally?
x_reggg
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i think this paper was kinda bad, but still good. none of the stuff i didn't revise for came up (ecology), but the lincoln index scared me :p:

(Original post by Mos Def)

that paper was soo much better ;____; but then i chose that paper to be the one i DIDN'T revise for.. now i have the harder unit 4 paper to pray to get a good mark

(Original post by effervescence)
What did you put for 1a.) and how did you explain 4b.) I was so put off the exam after the first question which put me off the whole exam, I just wanted to go home
for 1a i put the gametes would be either 31 or 32 chromosomes (i completely forgot about meiosis) and the probability of getting a zygote of 63 would be too low... completely blanked when i saw it..

the artery question was quite random, as well as the lipid question. seeing i didn't revise at all for synoptic, i think it was okay.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.71%
They might tell the bully (16)
10.74%
I don't think they'd understand (27)
18.12%
It might lead to more bullying (55)
36.91%
There's nothing they could do (41)
27.52%

Watched Threads