14.77%
I got below a C (25)
28.41%
theshape
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I hated that paper. The first question completely phased me at first and set me in a panicky mood for the rest of the paper. I said the diploid number was 63, which is an odd number so not all the chromosome can form homologous pairs, so gametes can't form. For the part about the post-zygote isolating mechanism i said it was post-zygote because the F1 offspring has been formed, and the isolating mechanism is want prevents that offspring from reproducing. The mule isn't a new species because the definition of a species is a group of organisms that can reproduce to produce fertile offsping - the mule is infertile so it doesn't fit this definition and can't be a new species.

That eye question threw me as well because i'd been revising from the CGP books, which don't have anything about the eye. So i hadn't revised the eye and got completely thrown. Fortunately i had this faint recollection of rhodopsin turning into retinal and opsin when exposed to light, and the rods being involved in detecting light intensity. Is that right?
Sky Twilight
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Vikid)
does changing shape count as stretching?
I'm not sure how that'd make sense the mark would be given in writing elastic fibres.
icapturethecastle
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
seems like i completely messed that paper up then damn...that insulin q was 6 marks as well
M.A.H
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sky Twilight)
muscular walls (muscularis externa+media+interna) - to prevent arteries from bursting under high blood pressure

elastic fibres - which can stretch + recoil, to maintain blood pressure
You could include something on vasoconstriction/vasodilation aswell. but I can't remember where..

I thought that was easy :P
aint they the same functions sortA?
_saba_
Report 11 years ago
Sorry For The Irrelevance But Can Any Body Provide Me With Chemistry Unit 1 June 2008 Exam Paper? Thanx
Medicine Man
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
for edexcel?
_saba_
Report 11 years ago
Yes Plz
Medicine Man
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
post 39 on this page for all 3 units
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...r#post12696037
_saba_
Report 11 years ago
YES PLZZZZZ:p:
_saba_
Report 11 years ago
Omg Ur Sooooooooo Amazingggggggggggggg Thanxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Medicine Man
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
no prob
gypsieking
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
could someone answer question 7 please?
gypsieking
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
the one about the eye condition
hibzcribz
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by beckiestar)
I just dissolved into tears when I got out of that exam, I hated it! And I have revised for hours and hours, been over every single past paper since 2001 and I do know my stuff -just felt like i was trapped in sinking sand when I opened it! goodbye uni

Snap! so did i...still cnt get over it..and the worst thing is...that i have 2 go over it all AGAIN cause of synoptic...its gona b such a killer realising all the mistakes i made...and all the stuff i didnt know
gypsieking
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
doesnt the question say that the disease develops due to a recessive allele. if 3/4 had the ressecive allele then would they have a chance of the disease developing?
fisix
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by gypsieking)
doesnt the question say that the disease develops due to a recessive allele. if 3/4 had the ressecive allele then would they have a chance of the disease developing?

recessive inherited from both parents: double recessive: rr
gypsieking
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
the question did not say that it is caused by homozygous resessive
theshape
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by gypsieking)
the question did not say that it is caused by homozygous resessive
The question says that the allele is recessive so the only way you're going to exhibit signs of the disease is if you're homozygous for that recessive gene, ie. rr. You could be a carrier, Rr but you're not going to exhibit signs of the disease.

And because the parents have already had a child with the disease you know that they must both be heterozygous. Rr x Rr gives RR, Rr, Rr, rr. So there's a 25 % chance of the next child developing the disease.
jado91
Report 11 years ago
i did realllly gd in this paper i mean same thing happened in chemistry i was aiming for a mid to high b since i ddnt study too well and i was pretty nervous cuz a2 bio is tough but it was a piece of cake. luckily no genetic engineering questions cuz i did not study that at all umm the only thing i can think of doing bad was the bacteria drawing i drew all the parts they wanted then there was a big space in the middle so i decided to fill it up with a vacuole for some reason lol. other than that the synoptic part was pretty easy and the question with the mule and diploid stuff needed some thinking but it was pretty straight forward. about the last question with the lipids it was a bit confusing where they said plants and animals i also put one in common which would be the phospholipids for membranes but i couldnt think of any others so i put human ones. i just hope the synoptic wont be tough so it dsnt pull my grade down.
jado91
Report 11 years ago
Mules aren't species, as they can't INTERBREED with the original 'equus' family]

ahh this question pissed me off i made up some crap about the mule not having the same characteristics as donkeys and horses both physically and genetically so they cant have the same genus but nothing about goddamn interbreeding. edexcel expect us to memorize every detail of the whole specification and they just bring up random questions out of 1000 possibilities its just impossible to get every question completely right.

and for the question about the bonds i stupidly wrote covalent and ionic, since disulphide bonds are covalent it doesnt really count. otherwise the answer is ionic and hydrogen which are both weaker than the disulphide. in chemistry for those who are wondering hydrogen>dipole dipole>van der waals but these are all between polar molecules covalent bonds are stronger...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (129)
64.5%
No I haven't decided yet (42)
21%
Yes but I might change my mind (29)
14.5%

Watched Threads