14.77%
I got below a C (25)
28.41%
ahezhara
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I would have thought ionic bonds were weaker than covalent bonds. It's true that it's hard to break ionic bonds in a crystal lattice structure as in NaCl, and in chemistry GCSE they teach you that covalent molecules are not held together strongly, but that would be equivalent to breaking the intermolecular bonds between a sulphur molecule.

Oh... I don't know. I'll have to sit down and work it out one day. ._.
fisix
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by effervescence)
I just think it's generally ridiculous how unit 5 is like 3/4 synoptic. What is the point in learning all that unit 5 stuff for like 2 questions? We already have a whole synoptic exam!
I think it is becaue the synoptic is so short (only 38 marks) It isn't really synoptic assesment. The reason they have to do it like this is because they were short sited when they designed the course structure....
JayG99
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Excalibur)
For the lipids I assumed that it was THREE uses for EITHER plants OR animals - if they wanted 3 for each, I would have thought they'd have said "Describe three uses EACH of lipids for BOTH plants and animals" and if they wanted three uses common to both, as opposed to either/or, they would've said "describe three uses for both plants and and animals." They didn't put and in bold and put three in bold so I assumed.... might be wrong though, if so what a stupidly worded question.
God bless you.
Mireme~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It was a weird paper. I've been finding that with alot of my papers this year actually. I was kinda pissed off about there being nothing on genetic engineering nor succession/conservation stuff purely because I bothered to fricken learn it.:p:

The last quesiton got me worried about whether it wanted 3 for each or animals and plants or just 3 things. But then I thought they prolly would've emphasised the AND in the question if that were the case so...:p:

Question 2 (about isolation mechanism) was like "WTF?!/!?!" and I have to admit I kinda paniked when I saw that. Seems the general consensus is that nobody knew so i'm just going to put it down to edexcel just making it up as a trick question. Denial's a wonderful thing!

Doesn't insulin have receptors because it cannot go through cell membrane? I swear Type II diabetes is due to faulty receptors so if insulin has a different shape, it wouldn't fit into the receptors that well?
Nonloso
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Mos Def)
I just said it has a diploid number of 63, you cannot have a haploid of 31.5 as no such thing as half a chromosome lmao.
I just guessed at that one and put something like that. Wow that made me feel so much better. Even though I still got less than a C
DRUBERT
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i said something about beong really steep conc gradient in ileum and blood due to glucoe starvation so it is taken up quickly, but also that its is already a single unit and doen't need to be broken down and digested like a polypeptide
fisix
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by DRUBERT)
i said something about beong really steep conc gradient in ileum and blood due to glucoe starvation so it is taken up quickly, but also that its is already a single unit and doen't need to be broken down and digested like a polypeptide
i was silly and just wrote it was absorbed in the illeum lol I didnt think to write more because it was only a mark..
DRUBERT
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
lol i no, i wrote as much as i could for every question in the hope there might be some marks in there somewhere
robinsons
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by sozzberry)
Ok, what the heck was with the whole 6 marks insulin question?? And it was weird how they worded it "if this type of insulin had been USED", it just seems weird to say that insulin was "used", it's just there, it's not like he manually injected it or anything. Don't think I explained that very well but whatever. Didn't have a clue for that question. Pah.
I thought that was just a way of asking what effect insulin had. I said if this new type had been used, the level of sugar would not start to decrease as shown in the graph, as changing an amino acid would change the structure of the protein- no longer able to bind to receptor sites on liver and muscle cell membranes, no longer able to promote the uptake of glucose to glycogen in glycogenesis therefore no decrease in blood sugar level.
~Adel~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by fisix)
There was ojnly one enzyme inhibitor question wasn't there?? the other one was point mutaion... and how insulin molecule would change if cycteine was substituted with another amino acid...

I wrote cyc was where the disulphide bridges were formed so the specific tertiary and quaternay stucrture would have been altered, so insulin wouldnt work
Look at question 4c and 5b, they're both about inhibitors..

I just realised i forgot to describe the point mutation and how it affects the structure..DAM*!!!!
Nonloso
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by sozzberry)
Ok, what the heck was with the whole 6 marks insulin question?? And it was weird how they worded it "if this type of insulin had been USED", it just seems weird to say that insulin was "used", it's just there, it's not like he manually injected it or anything. Don't think I explained that very well but whatever. Didn't have a clue for that question. Pah.

exactly what I thought, I thought they'd got it wrong in the explanation and the person was supposed to have taken insulin not glucose. It was worded really badly, so was the last question on lipids. I ended up writing 3 things for animals and 3 things for plants.
DRUBERT
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
but because they were talking about point mutations i thought you needed to talk about frame shifts ad change in aa sequence aswel? O i'm ****ed lol
rose90
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
they worded the whole exam in such an odd ununderstandable wayyy
effervescence
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by DRUBERT)
but because they were talking about point mutations i thought you needed to talk about frame shifts ad change in aa sequence aswel? O i'm ****ed lol
You probably will get some credit for that aswell.
sozzberry
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by What's My Name?)
exactly what I thought, I thought they'd got it wrong in the explanation and the person was supposed to have taken insulin not glucose. It was worded really badly, so was the last question on lipids. I ended up writing 3 things for animals and 3 things for plants.
I'm glad someone else thought so. They really should make sure the questions aren't ambiguous like that, it's really not fair.
mjamaly786
Badges: 1
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Mos Def)
Yeah but im quite pissed about how nothing U5 style came up, no genetic eng, no succession, no plant hormones, and some **** U2 question
this june 2008 unit5 paper was by far the dumbest paper edexcel have created...not a single question was anything like the dam past papers...i did AQA last year for AS but edexcel this year bcuz i moved, so i had to re-learn all the synoptic stuff and i did...but this paper sucked hard...especially the first question about isolating mechs!!! dunno if i'll get the grades for dentistry now
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by gorilla_baby)
it was a nightmare! 1st question: what is isolating mechanism and why do biologist not like to call mules a new species? how the hell should i know? coz biologists are dumb ******s that do useless crap like stupid ecological studies that are just pointless. stupid paper..what the hell was it anyway?
Mules cant reproduce. Isolating mechanisms, that's all that speciation stuff. Woo hoo I remember some biology!

This unit was crap last year. NO unit 5 stuff (well, only a tiny amount), just other units mixed in the blender. I dont know why they teach unit 5 material if it's not going to be examined.
effervescence
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by rose90)
they worded the whole exam in such an odd ununderstandable wayyy
I think we should all write to edexcel and complain about this, then they'd definitely have to lower the grade boundaries!!
sozzberry
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
We didn't get any calculation questions either (as far as I can remember anyway), which are normally a few easy marks.
mjamaly786
Badges: 1
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by What's My Name?)
not bad mate, atleast u knew 3 things for plant and animals, i barely worte 3 things all together lol!!!
but yh totalli, i kept writing 2 different answers for most of the questions bcuz it was really hard to understand what they were actually asking in the first place u kno!!!
do any of u know what the grade boundaries might be for this paper?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (113)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (173)
27.2%
Not great so far... (227)
35.69%
I want to drop out! (123)
19.34%

Watched Threads