I got a high C (13)
14.77%
I got below a C (25)
28.41%
mjamaly786
Badges: 1
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Mireme~)
I didn't do a percentage, I simple said how much they multiplied by.

I agree with most of you, the wording was terribly ambiguous, I think I spent more time reading it to figure out what they were asking for
same here...i said the largest diffrence in number of birds was for the red grouse...but then in the last line i also squeezed in that the largest % change was for lapwing (1600%)
sozzberry
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by zeke53in)
it's true, why are the papers so different this year?
I think they're running out of things to ask, cos they've previously seemed to just rehash previous papers questions and now they've come up with new stuff but they've forgotten how, so they're not very good at it.
Ribulose Bisphosphate
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It was 3 uses of lipids OVERALL - so it was 2 marks for each single use (you had to describe it a little, e.g. as an energy store in animals which hibernate through the winter months.

You just had to ensure that not all 3 uses were from plants OR animals ALONE...like you had to put 2 for plants and 1 for animals or vice versa!

Overall I think the paper was **** but then again unit 5 bio is full of ****...I only liked the medicine-style questions, i.e. the ACE inhibitor question (4 marks), the changed insulin structure question (6 marks) and the rhodospin disease that can develop (4 marks).

All that environment crap, i.e. a high proportion of unit 5 makes Bio A2 so much less appealing. I suppose it is 5B I did though...

Anyway, since the A boundary has ranged from 44-50 over the last few series of exams (for 5B), I think the A grade boundary is gonna be like 48/49 to get 80/100.
DRUBERT
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mjamaly786)
same here...i said the largest diffrence in number of birds was for the red grouse...but then in the last line i also squeezed in that the largest % change was for lapwing (1600%)

Ey? O got 21.4% for the lapwing!
robinsons
Report 11 years ago
I hated that question and I said the lapwing benefitted most by working out the average for both lapwing and red grouse - lapwing before was like 0.75 then after the predator was removed was like 18 or something. Basically the amount of pairs was multiplied by about 22, whereas for red grouse it was only like 5 so I said lapwing had benefitted most.

I really couldn't word it correctly, and I spent the entire question wondering what on earth the mark scheme would say. Weird, horrible q.
mjamaly786
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ribulose Bisphosphate)
It was 3 uses of lipids OVERALL - so it was 2 marks for each single use (you had to describe it a little, e.g. as an energy store in animals which hibernate through the winter months.

You just had to ensure that not all 3 uses were from plants OR animals ALONE...like you had to put 2 for plants and 1 for animals or vice versa!

Overall I think the paper was **** but then again unit 5 bio is full of ****...I only liked the medicine-style questions, i.e. the ACE inhibitor question (4 marks), the changed insulin structure question (6 marks) and the rhodospin disease that can develop (4 marks).

All that environment crap, i.e. a high proportion of unit 5 makes Bio A2 so much less appealing. I suppose it is 5B I did though...

Anyway, since the A boundary has ranged from 44-50 over the last few series of exams (for 5B), I think the A grade boundary is gonna be like 48/49 to get 80/100.
thats a relief...until now i thought the grade boundary was 56 out of 70 to get an A!!!
DRUBERT
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Year Curlew Golden plover Lapwing Red grouse
2002 18 9 14 55
2003 22 8 18 92
2004 18 7 19 159
2005 17 7 17 165

Am i missing saomething here?
mjamaly786
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by DRUBERT)
Ey? O got 21.4% for the lapwing!
how did u get such a low figure...

lapwing increased from 1 to 17!!

17-1=16
16x100=1600%
DRUBERT
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
lol i see whats goin on here, i just did from the no predators table
mjamaly786
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by DRUBERT)
lol i see whats goin on here, i just did from the no predators table
dammm!!! oh well im sure u got maybe 2 out of the 3 marks so no worries huh
robinsons
Report 11 years ago

17-1=16
16x100=1600%
I'm guessing he did something like what I did where the multiple was about 22.. rather than percent increase.
Mireme~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Dang, I just talked about the red grouse and only looked at the no predators table too :/ oh wells.
fisix
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

17-1=16
16x100=1600%
lol if yoou look at 2005

increase is of infinity% lapwing is the easy winner
Nonloso
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by robinsons)
I hated that question and I said the lapwing benefitted most by working out the average for both lapwing and red grouse - lapwing before was like 0.75 then after the predator was removed was like 18 or something. Basically the amount of pairs was multiplied by about 22, whereas for red grouse it was only like 5 so I said lapwing had benefitted most.

I really couldn't word it correctly, and I spent the entire question wondering what on earth the mark scheme would say. Weird, horrible q.
I said the lapwing had benefitted most because with the predator it was in such small numbers that it would almost non existant, so no new birds would be born and without predators there were many more so that there was a much higher chance of new birds being born. Wasn't worded quite like that, but i didn't use any figures or percentages :eek:
~Adel~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
AM i the only one who used the change in mean number to describe the effect of removal of predators on those birds...?

mjamalay: that sounds really comforting. Thanks.

Going for a movie now..woohoo!(despite having three synoptic papers next week...)
mjamaly786
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by fisix)
lol if yoou look at 2005

increase is of infinity% lapwing is the easy winner
although i did the lapwing thing right, i dont think i'll get the marks bcuz i also worte that the largest increase in number was for the red grouse (which is true) but i hope i dont get marked down for being too detailed lol
mjamaly786
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ~Adel~)
AM i the only one who used the change in mean number to describe the effect of removal of predators on those birds...?

mjamalay: that sounds really comforting. Thanks.

Going for a movie now..woohoo!(despite having three synoptic papers next week...)
lol i just thought that taking the means would get an extra mark for manipulation of figues hey...(its always worth one mark in the mark scheme)
fisix
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ~Adel~)
I was going to do that but then I though no because the numbers were decreasing so the mean wouldnt have show the change accurately

And the 4c question i thought that was growth inhibitors not enzyme inhibitors.... growth inhibitors are plant growth substances.... aba/ethene???
robinsons
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by What's My Name?)
I said the lapwing had benefitted most because with the predator it was in such small numbers that it would almost non existant, so no new birds would be born and without predators there were many more so that there was a much higher chance of new birds being born. Wasn't worded quite like that, but i didn't use any figures or percentages :eek:
Well it didn't say to, which was what I thought was stupid. The mark scheme is going to have to be so broad for it. Ergh. Stupid Edexcel.
M.A.H
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by robinsons)
What did people get for "suggest why the level of glucose in the blood of the student started to rise within the first hour"?

I first of all was like what kind of question is this and put down because she just drank a solution with 100g of glucose in.

Then crossed it out, thinking maybe the question wanted to know why in so short a time did it become raised and said because there would be hardly any insulin in the blood, as he/she had not eaten in 12 hours. hmm.
i wrote coz the glucose is being absorbedinto the bloodstream from the guts? :confused:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (57)
23.85%
No (182)
76.15%

Watched Threads