The Student Room Group

Summer job stories

It’s summer, and for students it’s the time to earn money to pay for your studies, amongst other things so why not a thread on people’s summer jobs? So this summer I needed to find a job badly, first few weeks being back was unsuccessful-emailed, called places who weren’t interested as I’d be going back to university. I managed to go back to a pub I worked at previously waitering/potwashing, also got accepted working in my local one. So basically doing 2 jobs, averaging out 25-30 hours a week. Long story short I got sacked from one of the pub jobs for standing up for myself after some really out of order comments and in general being belittled, so I now work in the other potwashing. Not going to lie wasn’t how I expected to earn money( washing dishes) as an undergraduate at the grand age of 21 but job is a job. What are your job stories this summer-good or bad?
Well I got my first ever job this summer. I am interning at an IT company. I'm not getting paid. The job is pretty boring there isn't much work for me, so I just sit there for 6 hours. I should be working on my university applications, but I can't do anything in the office as my boss sits right next to me and can see what I am doing. When ever I ask for work they say to look at their website and learn about the products and services they offer, their website has like 5 pages. My boss's boss said that my certificate of completion will depend on what I learned during the internship, but I haven't learnt **** so what am I supposed to tell him. Also the office is in a bad part of town so walking home is scary and I can't afford to Uber everyday as I live pretty far away. Also I think my boss hates me for some reason she refuses to talk to me face-to-face, she is sits two feet away from me and she is emailing me instead of just talking to me. I don't know why she dislikes me the first week she was super nice and now it's like she hates me. Anyways I am going to end the internship next week.
Original post by nida_sheikh
Well I got my first ever job this summer. I am interning at an IT company. I'm not getting paid. The job is pretty boring there isn't much work for me, so I just sit there for 6 hours. I should be working on my university applications, but I can't do anything in the office as my boss sits right next to me and can see what I am doing. When ever I ask for work they say to look at their website and learn about the products and services they offer, their website has like 5 pages. My boss's boss said that my certificate of completion will depend on what I learned during the internship, but I haven't learnt **** so what am I supposed to tell him. Also the office is in a bad part of town so walking home is scary and I can't afford to Uber everyday as I live pretty far away. Also I think my boss hates me for some reason she refuses to talk to me face-to-face, she is sits two feet away from me and she is emailing me instead of just talking to me. I don't know why she dislikes me the first week she was super nice and now it's like she hates me. Anyways I am going to end the internship next week.

An unpaid internship is a job? :confused:
Ngl internships that aren’t paid tend to be dodgy, and ones I avoid. Good experience though and something to put on the cv, it’s good you’re leaving soon.
I work at a large optical chain. I’m doing full time now but will cut back on 16-20 hours when I’m back at uni. It’s a good place to work.
That’s good you seem to be enjoying it, I’d personally find 16-20 hours alongside university too much however. I did hold a call centre job down for a little bit in second year which was 14 hours a week, even that was too much, and now no longer want to commit to more than 10. If you have the right balance though it’s fine.

Original post by Fermion.
I work at a large optical chain. I’m doing full time now but will cut back on 16-20 hours when I’m back at uni. It’s a good place to work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending