Driving through water Watch

NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Best advice is avoid, obviously this is not always possible so max guideline is halfway up the wheel, and keep the engine running to stop water getting into the exhaust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4pm5ADpBN4
LeMansClivey
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Firstly, find-out where your engine's air intake is. On some cars they're so low down that any wading is like playing Russian Roulette with the engine. I can happily drive through several feet of water in my Land Rover but I'd only attempt more than a few inches in my BMW in a full-on emergency situation.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by NJA)
Best advice is avoid, obviously this is not always possible so max guideline is halfway up the wheel, and keep the engine running to stop water getting into the exhaust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4pm5ADpBN4
Good luck keeping your engine running when it's full of water.
TheMcSame
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
100% echo what Clivey is saying. Guidelines are useless since air intake locations vary by model and may even vary from one year to another on the same model of car. Not to mention differences in ride height, half a wheel on Land Rover isn't the same as half a wheel on a Fiesta or a BMW You need to know where the intake is on your own car before wading through water.
Last edited by TheMcSame; 2 weeks ago
LeMansClivey
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not just that but anywhere else water shouldn't go. Believe it or not, the maximum wading depth for my Land Rover (before I modified it) wasn't dictated by the engine air intake but the axle breathers. - The differentials need ventilation and for that they each have a breather pipe. The top of that is the limit. Older models have a bung that you must insert before wading and remove afterwards.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
17.35%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (29)
14.8%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (42)
21.43%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (72)
36.73%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (8)
4.08%
No particular grades needed (11)
5.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise