Nero132
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hey, just wondering that this actually is? I keep hearing it but havent come accross it yet?

Thanks.
eviltimmehempire
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
if you hear it being said VERBALLY... are you sure it's not chan fook but something else and you just misheard? cause as i'm sure you've tried already... a search for "chan fook" returns nothing relevant on google...
Nero132
Rep:
?
nah definately was chan fook.. was in a past paper mark scheme as a potential content answer. hmm..
Clefeen
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Chan Fook is a case name but I don't think there's a test.
Nero132
Rep:
?
http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/qp...W-MS-JAN07.PDF

Page 13.. under (a) 4th line..

:\
eviltimmehempire
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
have you checked the actual paper? i have a feeling chan fook will either be defined or metioned in the question/case study
Nero132
Rep:
?
nah its not.
Nero132
Rep:
?
Found these..

R v Chan-Fook (1994)

^[ABH - include psychiatric harm but not emotions – escape case]

D subjected V to questioning about the theft of a ring belonging to D’s fiancée. D then dragged V upstairs to a room and locked him in. V feared D’s return and injured himself when he fell through a window.

Held: ‘Actual bodily harm ‘; includes psychiatric injury but does not include emotions, such as fear or panic. ABH does not include states of mind that are not themselves evidence of some identifiable clinical condition. Only expert evidence to this effect should be made to the jury regarding psychiatric injury.

Per curiam: the phrase ‘state of mind’ is unscientific, confusing and should be avoided when considering whether psychiatric injury has been caused.

Verdict: Not Guilty

====

The case in the question was similar whereas someone was injured falling out the window of a building someone set fire to.. Maybe the "test" so to speak is that of the blame for the injury which can either be caused by the defendants actions or the victims fear.

Sound any good?
~*Ai*~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
chan-fook (1994) is actually to give the definition of "actual bodily harm as any harm to the body (including the brain and internal organs) that is more than insignificant"
afc1886
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I thought it was for psycological liability in determining intent?
gilani786
Report 11 years ago
chan fook test aint a test.. it related to testing wether there was any psycological damge as to wether ABH was committed.. its the case of R v Chan fook... to be specific its a case under any assault occasioning actual bodily harm Offences against the person act 1861
pcok
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The principle from Chan Fook is whether abh can include psychological harm - yes it can.
~*Ai*~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
that's why it includes any harm to the body (including the brain and internal organs) ^^
The Black Chuck Norris
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In the exam if you were discussing ABH you'd write a short line such as "ABH can also be Psychological harm, seen in the case of R v Chan Fook.

The actual case SUMMARISED is basically some dude trying to rob Chan Fook, chan fook catching him, locking him up in a room and the robber fearing Actual Bodily Harm, so he jumped out of the window and got hurt. In the exam I wouldnt explain this case anyway because you'll probably have to mention 4-5 other cases and explain one out of them, I explained R v Roberts in Jan.

The case you have posted above is incorrect Nero.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads