Suggest me a car Watch

Spotty Dog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Unfortunatly, I've been out of the used car market too long and my last three used cars have been total wrecks. So I need some advice.

In about a month I'll have around £500 to spend a small used car. (Lets face it, I'm not expecting a NEW car for that. xD)

It has to be small and it has to be -reasonably- economical for it's age. Good tax, good insurance group. It also has to live quite happily in a uni car park for most of it's life (So I don't want something that's going to need a lot of upkeep!!)

I don't mind which make/model etc, but not a Fiat. I've had two absolutely awful experiences with them now and won't go back. Also, I'd be reluctant to buy a Ford, but that's just personal choice.

So, what can I get for my money, and what should I be looking out for on specific models?
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Toyota Starlet 1.3 '95
vauxhall Corsa 1.2 '96
Volkswagen Polo

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk.../search.action
EKO
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Why not save a little bit more and not get another total wreck?

Saying that, I do know someone who's just purchased a decent 106 (R Reg), 80k on the clock for 400 quid.
h82think
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Good old noddy :p:

Sorry, no serious answers here
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
(Original post by EKO)
Why not save a little bit more and not get another total wreck?
Because money is really tight. It's taken me nearly a year to get this much, and I need a car by August time so that it's up and ready to go if it needs any work by September.
Lara C.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
make sure it has at least 10 month MOT,
User188463
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Um youre not going to have a lot of choice - just get the car that works best (without the most problems). You dont want to end up spending more to fix it in the near future.
suze0811
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
a clio. have a look on autotrader, theres some decent ones for not very much.
Steeps
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
to be honest at £500 just try to get anything with a long MOT, as suggested a clio seems to fit the bill, one of my friend has had 2, each costing ~600 and has had little done apart from accident repair damage. A lot of older ones don't have power steering on the base spec, but if you look around you should be able to find one with P/S, CD head unit from previous owner etc.
lodzinski
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
anything taxed and MOT'd!
jam_man
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you want a cheap one, get a Citroen AX with a decent mot and tax. Cheap to run, nothing much to go wrong and the economy is fantastic.
Being a french car theres no problem with rust etc.
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
(Original post by jam_man)
If you want a cheap one, get a Citroen AX with a decent mot and tax. Cheap to run, nothing much to go wrong and the economy is fantastic.
Being a french car theres no problem with rust etc.
Really? Hadn't considered them!!
jam_man
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Spotty Dog)
Really? Hadn't considered them!!
Having a quick look on the Auto Trader the average price is around £200 to £400 quid with low milage, service history, 5 doors and aftermarket CD player. With them being so cheap and averaging around 50-70mpg depending on model you should be able to pick up a well looked after example for well less than £500.

A friend of mine had a high milage one and the engine had expired. Being mechanicaly minded he went out to pick up a 'new' engine for £50 and swapped them over in a weekend
Can't go far wrong I say!
prodriven
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
An AX may be cheap, but they are certainly not safe. Even when they were new they scored very badly in safety tests....

How about something like this > http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/547059.htm Reasonably safe, good on fuel, cheap to insure.
Bavarian Motor Works
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In that sort of price range i would be looking at an old peugeot, possibly a very old golf, working with these sort of budgets, you are better of looking in local papers, as these are the budgets for beginner project cars usually so people do still want the,
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
(Original post by prodriven)
An AX may be cheap, but they are certainly not safe. Even when they were new they scored very badly in safety tests....

How about something like this > http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/547059.htm Reasonably safe, good on fuel, cheap to insure.

Sold. xD

Shame it's in Birmingham. XD
Abz90
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'd suggest a Clio. I got mine last year in August with 69k on the clock, for £350. Haven't had any problems so far.
prodriven
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Spotty Dog)
Sold. xD

Shame it's in Birmingham. XD
This one? > http://cambridge.gumtree.com/cambridge/40/23613140.html

Clio would be a good bet as well.
uthred50
Badges: 16
Report 11 years ago
Look for a little WV Polo or renault clio yeh ..
Or a ford fiesta. from my experience thay are very reliable

uth =]
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
(Original post by uthred50)
Look for a little WV Polo or renault clio yeh ..
Or a ford fiesta. from my experience thay are very reliable

uth =]

I know. I know they're reliable, but they're a Ford. I don't know why, I just despise them. XD
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (47)
25.82%
No (135)
74.18%

Watched Threads