The Student Room Group

Manchester Piccadilly Platform 13/14

Hi guys,

I will be going to Manchester for the first time by rail tomo and will need to go to Bolton via either platform 13/14. However, my understanding is platform 13 and 14 are split into 13 and 13B as well as 14 and 14B. Firstly, what’s the difference? Why this B platform? And how do I know if I’m meant to go on the original platform or the B platform? I’ve heard this isn’t clear on the information/ departure board. Help pls guys.
Bump. Sorry but desperate
It's very clear. On the info board it will say either 13 or 13b. On the platform 13b is usually just a little further down along 13, there will be signs above it directing you. Be aware that 13&14 are a trek away from 1-12... so go to your platform in plenty of time.. spent way to much of my teens frantically sprinting to platform 13 for my hourly train lol. If you get stuck ask a member of staff.
Thank you! I thought 13 and 13B were two separate platforms but it seems it’s one long platform divided into two.
Original post by Chaldish101
Thank you! I thought 13 and 13B were two separate platforms but it seems it’s one long platform divided into two.

Yeah basically super long platforms that might have 2 trains stopped on them at the same time. The a/b is to make sure you get on the right train
As said before. The letters appended onto long platforms divide the platform into sections. A train listed at 13A is likely to be a fairly short train towards the front of the platform, and one at 13B is a short train towards the back.

A train listed just at platform 13 would be a long train spanning both halves of the platform.

It's common for particularly long platforms (eg platforms 8, 9, 11, 12 and 15 in Leeds) to be divided into four sections A-D.

Either way the platform signage will direct you towards the correct portion of the platform

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending