?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Title, title, title.
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Vintage refers to something from a previous time period or generation that is of high quality, often a great example (epitome) of something. Eg A Vintage costume from a previous era of cinema, vintage wine etc. I must say though, along with words like “organic” or “pure”, it’s a phrase often used by sellers to make a product sound more attractive, without actually knowing what the word means.
liaente
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Vintage refers to something from a previous time period or generation that is of high quality, often a great example (epitome) of something. Eg A Vintage costume from a previous era of cinema, vintage wine etc. I must say though, along with words like “organic” or “pure”, it’s a phrase often used by sellers to make a product sound more attractive, without actually knowing what the word means.
Ahhh, thank you very much. So if we were in the 22nd century, would our current 21st century be "vintage". Just how let's say in the 20th century, the 19th century was "vintage"?
Would anyone just say it's "vintage"? Like someone can think leather is of high quality, whilst the other thinks cotton wool is. Is it subjective?
Thanks again!
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would say it would take 2 or 3 centuries for something to become vintage. You might go to an antique shop and find a grandfather clock or an ancient royal outfit or something like that which would be « vintage », something from the twentieth century would probably be considered « retro ». And yes, vintage us typically more expensive goods associated with the upper class. Expensive leather, watches, coats etc would be vintage, not so much cotton wool. Think Victorian Era or previous. But then again, the terms are rather subjective.
Levi23317
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would say it would take 2 or 3 centuries for something to become vintage. You might go to an antique shop and find a grandfather clock or an ancient royal outfit or something like that which would be « vintage », something from the twentieth century would probably be considered « retro ». And yes, vintage us typically more expensive goods associated with the upper class. Expensive leather, watches, coats etc would be vintage, not so much cotton wool. Think Victorian Era or previous. But then again, the terms are rather subjective.
That more like the original definition, but alot of the times these days people use vintage to describe 20+ year old clothes/ clothing styles
liaente
Rep:
?
(Original post by Levi23317)
That more like the original definition, but alot of the times these days people use vintage to describe 20+ year old clothes/ clothing styles
Thank you guys for your replies
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Horseshit is what it is. Just say "old-fashioned". Vintage is a declaration made concerning a particularly high-quality grape harvest.
liaente
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tootles)
Horseshit is what it is. Just say "old-fashioned". Vintage is a declaration made concerning a particularly high-quality grape harvest.
Thank you for your response
LuigiMario
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
An “antique” object was required to be over a century old, “vintage” officially comes from the world of oenology, specifically French wine-making, where it meant simply the “vendage” or collection of grapes for that years’ wine production. A good vintage or a bad vintage!

Amusingly, https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vintage (french Wikipedia) notes that from the 1980’s

“Depuis les années 1980, il est emprunté par le français avec le sens de rétro, et désigne dans la mode un vêtement ou un accessoire ancien, datant de l'époque où il a été créé“

So “vintage” has been borrowed back from the English language by the French to mean RETRO , defines a piece of clothing or an accessory whose design dates back to the epoch when it was first created.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (7)
50%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (2)
14.29%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (1)
7.14%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (0)
0%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (2)
14.29%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (1)
7.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
7.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise