Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi people,
I'm doing Commerce as of now (Accountancy, Eco, Business Studies, Entrepreneurship and English with General studies)
I'll be applying for the LLB Law course
My predicted grades are A*AA
extracurriculars- Dramatics Coordinator, Medal for All Rounder in Culturals, Debate, Sports and Public Speaking.
I'll be applying to UCL, Durham, Nottingham, Warwick and QMUL too.
Reply 3
Hi guys,

I'm looking to study Criminology perhaps with a year abroad (not really sure where yet).
I am currently studying English Literature, Politics, BTEC Law and Level 3 Criminology at sixth form with my predicted grades being AAADist*.
At GCSE I did a range of different qualifications so it's a bit of a mix of letters and numbers: CA 666778888 Dist Dist*
In terms of other unis I don't really have a set idea at the moment but I'm looking at York and Bristol and undecided on the rest so any suggestions are very welcome ☺.
In terms of why I'm looking at Durham I think the city is beautiful and small but has enough things to explore and to stay entertained but also in terms of the course they offer it has a strong appeal and the inside out programme being the most notable. I have also done a summer school type thing there which I really enjoyed especially the college system which I really like.
In terms of extracurricular activities I like to take part in a range of sports with a particular focus on netball and leadership within sports.
(edited 4 years ago)
What course are you applying for: Business and management with placement year

Subjects you are currently studying: Maths, Economics and Product design

Predicted grades: Maths (A), Economics (A), Product design (A)

GCSE grades: 9, 3 x A*s, 6 x As

FSMQ Additional Maths: A

Which other unis you are applying to: Exeter, Bath, St Andrews, Newcastle

Why you like Durham: Collegiate system, Beautiful scenery, excellent reputation, and love the course there

What college are you considering: St Hild and St Bede

Extracurriculars: DofE Gold, Mini MBA, LAMDA
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi guys!!!

What course are you applying for: Maths
Subjects you are currently studying: Maths, Further Maths, History
Predicted grades: A*A*A*
GCSE grades: 999999998A*A*
Which other unis you are applying to: Oxford, UCL, Bath, Exeter
Why you like Durham: Seems very academic which I like, but more relaxed than Oxford. Very beautiful place and students seem to enjoy it there!
Hi guys!

Course: natural sciences joint honours maths and physics
Current subjects: maths, further maths, physics, chemistry
Predicted grades: haven’t got them yet but 4A at AS
GCSE grades: 12A*, 1A
Other universities: Cambridge, Warwick, Lancaster and maybe Bath.
Why Durham: Love the collegiate system and is very academic.
Extracurriculars: reading a lot of books, swimming, running clubs at school, two summer schools.
Reply 7
Course: Economics
Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, English Literature, Biology and Physics —— i got 5 A grades at AS level and i plan to drop physics (NI a-levels are still modular)
Predicted: not sure but i assume around A*A*AA
GCSE: 10A* 1A
Other unis: Cambridge, UCL, St Andrews and TCD
Extracurriculars: Loads of further reading and looking into the subject, senior maths challenges, debating etc
Hi everyone :smile:

Course: Modern Languages and Cultures with Year Abroad
Current Subjects: German, Geography and Maths (+ EPQ)
Predicted: A*A*A (A* in EPQ)
GCSEs: 8 9s and 2 8s
Other universities: Exeter, Warwick, Birmingham, Edinburgh
Extracurriculars: Lead Languages ambassador, prefect role, mentoring younger students, charity committee, debating society, extra reading, part time job.
Why do I like Durham:
- collegiate structure
- good academic ranking
- love the city
- offers the academic level of Oxford but more of a contemporary course (Oxford focussed greater on literature)
- great accomodation and social life opportunities
- best languages course I have seen
What course are you applying for: History
Subjects you are currently studying: History, English Literature, Maths
Predicted grades: A*, A, A
GCSE grades: 7, 7, 8, 8, 8, 9, 9, 9, 9 (2 As, 7A*s)
Which other unis you are applying to: Sheffield, Lancaster, Loughborough, maybe Exeter
Why you like Durham: I just sort of fell in love with it! I knew I liked the course, but there are so many brilliant History courses throughout the country. I didn't really go into the Open Day with high hopes. If I am entirely honest I was expecting Durham to feel a lot more overwhelming and elitist than it did, but I was pleasantly surprised. A big part of the whole idea of University for me is living somewhere I would feel comfortable and safe, as I know academically I would be unable to achieve if I was constantly in a state of anxiety. I feel like Durham certainly has a very homely atmosphere, especially with the collegiate system, and at no point did I feel nervous or unsafe (which is a real rarity for me). The City was absolutely gorgeous; walking along the bridge over the river to the Cathedral was like something out of a fairytale. Sports facilities were definitely good enough for my average-at-cricket self, and Chester Le Street is only a short bus journey away. And it's a bonus that a lot of my Dad's family live up in Northumberland, so I wouldn't be too far from familiar faces. I know a lot of these seem like little things, but they are little things that make Durham go from a great course and a highly regarded institution - which would be the same for anyone studying my subject - to somewhere that I genuinely feel I could happily spend 3 years (at least) of my life.
Extracurriculars: I sing, play a couple instruments, dance, cricket, co-lead a debate society
Hi guys x wishing you all the best with the upcoming UCAS applications..my personal statement is doing my head in at the moment

Degree; Psychology (not sure about the year abroad)
A-levels: Maths, Chemistry, Economics
Predicted Grades: A* A* A
GCSE grades: 11A* 1A
Other unis: Cambridge, Bath, Edinburgh, UCL, Warwick (need to drop one of these 6)
Why Durham: the course is so good like you get to choose modules outside the core ones. I think I want to choose a module in Spanish or Japanese or human culture etc

Keep me updated with your uni application process next March/May about firms and insurance choices!
Hi Guys,

Just thought I’d post this here if it were to be of interest to anyone. I’m a recent Oxford E&M grad. Before that I received 5A*s and 2As in my A-Level exams. I also received offers from LSE, UCL, Warwick and Durham all for straight Econ.

I’m currently giving advice on applications and exams as well as on entrance exams (TSA). If you’re interested, please feel free to get in touch via the link below. (I don’t tend to com onto TSR much).

https://tutorhub.com/users/ash_prab
I'm applying for engineering at Durham and am hoping to play womens rugby there. Should I apply to any specific colleges or is womens rugby more a university sport rather than college sport?
Original post by i cAnT tHinK
I'm applying for engineering at Durham and am hoping to play womens rugby there. Should I apply to any specific colleges or is womens rugby more a university sport rather than college sport?

Women's rugby is played at both college and university level. Not all colleges play women's college rugby but the majority do (I think Stephenson is the only one that doesn't currently). It really depends what you want out of a college. Collingwood is seen as the most sporty.
Heya :u:

What course are you applying for: Biosciences
Subjects you are currently studying: Maths, Biology, Psychology, Further Maths
Predicted grades: A*A*A and I don't know about Further Maths (maybe an A? But I'd much prefer a B prediction)
GCSE grades: 6A*s, 3As and a B
Which other unis you are applying to: Glasgow, Lancaster, Oxford, Bath
Why you like Durham: It's a very beautiful place and I like the course they offer
Extracurriculars: Extra reading, work experience in a genetics lab, maths tutor, youth leader, amateur dramatics (though I don't remember if I mentioned that on my ps) and part time job
Anyone applied yet? What college did you pick?
Is anyone applying yet? I decided not to apply Oxbridge as I don't like the MFL courses there, but have been offered help from my school to still apply early entry (due to my high predictions and the argument that Durham offers a lot of spaces to early applicant/oxbridge candidates). I'm happy with my personal statement and it would be good to get it out the way, but should I do so? Will I potentially have worse/better chances, being in the first round of applicants????
Original post by KiwiFruitSalad
Is anyone applying yet? I decided not to apply Oxbridge as I don't like the MFL courses there, but have been offered help from my school to still apply early entry (due to my high predictions and the argument that Durham offers a lot of spaces to early applicant/oxbridge candidates). I'm happy with my personal statement and it would be good to get it out the way, but should I do so? Will I potentially have worse/better chances, being in the first round of applicants????

My teacher said that it really doesn't matter whether you apply early or not. I'm applying early because I'm applying to Cambridge. I would say if your personal statement is perfect and you're happy with it and you have al your choices for uni on UCAS, then apply early because realistically is your personal statement or choices going to change over the next couple of weeks? Let me know how it goes though :smile:
Reply 18
Hello! :smile:

What course are you applying for: English Literature
Subjects you are currently studying: English, History and French
Predicted grades: A*, A*, A
GCSE grades: 4 A*s, 4 As, 2 Bs
Which other unis you are applying to: Oxford, Bristol, Edinburgh, Cardiff
Why you like Durham: I love the location and the collegiate system! Also it is the best in the country for my course, English Literature.
Extracurriculars: Summer at the Sorbonne, County Theatre, National Youth Choir, Essay Competition, Head of School Council (not sure if these count as extra curriculars haha)

What about everyone else's college choices? Anyone else going for St Cuth's?
What course are you applying for: Economics
Subjects you are currently studying: Maths, Economics and History
Predicted grades: A*A*A
GCSE grades: 5 A*s 4As and 1B
Which other unis you are applying to: Leeds, York, Cambridge and Bristol
Why you like Durham: Collegiate system, the town and the course

Latest