The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by leahwin
I sent in my application on 19 September and got an offer on 8 October, the admissions officer I spoke to said you should hear by the January deadline but it varies department by department.

What subject did you apply for?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Apparently a law offer has been sent out to someone on TSR. Can someone confirm?
Original post by leahwin
I sent in my application on 19 September and got an offer on 8 October, the admissions officer I spoke to said you should hear by the January deadline but it varies department by department.

Original post by Lemur14
Having applied this early you may hear back earlier, but the end of January/beginning of February is pretty typical unless there's a reason for your course doing offers earlier (eg. I sat an entrance exam and got my offer the week after they received the results of that). There will most likely be people who don't get decisions until the end of March too, they have so many applications to process that starting later really puts them behind!

Original post by earthworm206
I heard Durham waits until the jan deadline then makes their offers but idk

Last year a very small amount of people got offers before Christmas then quite a few got them before Durham's Feb offer holders day. The rest seemed to wait until mid/end March. Some subjects were quicker than others Liberal Arts and Combined Honours was one of the later ones but it does require input from more than one department. They also had a new system running last year so it had a few teething problems than made things run a little later than usual.
Reply 83
What course are you applying for: Law LLB
Subjects you are currently studying: English Literature,History, RS, EPQ
Predicted grades: A*A*A*A
Which other unis you are applying to: Cambridge, LSE, Exeter and Leeds
Why you like Durham: it's a really good university, it gives me oxbridge vibes:smile:
What colleges you are considering: applied to University College
Extracurriculars: Cambridge scheme, work experience, a week of law course, on 4 different boards promoting youth voice, had meetings with MPs and High Court Judges, Cambridge law competition, theatre school, athletics, did DofE Bronze and doing Gold now.. and read many books for law:smile:
Reply 84
Original post by STEM.lover
What subject did you apply for?

Archaeology and Ancient Civilisations
What course are you applying for: natural sciences, msci in chemistry & maths
Subjects you are currently studying: chemistry, maths, further maths & physics
Predicted grades: 4A*s
Which other unis you are applying to: Oxford, St Andrews, Bristol & Lancaster
Why you like Durham: absolutely love the course, visited and fell in love with the place and it has a great reputation
College: Josephine Butler
Extracurriculars: musical theatre, volunteer at local library and primary school, skydiving for charity later this year

Best of luck to everyone :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
What course are you applying for: English Literature
Subjects you are currently studying: English literature, Philosophy, Politics
Predicted grades: A*AA
GCSE grades:999877654B
Which other unis you are applying to: Oxford, York, Warwick, Lancaster
Why you like Durham: 1st for English lit in the UK; plus I like the collegiate system.
What colleges you are considering: Applied to Collingwood- actually didn't visit it on the open day, but I found St Chad's and the colleges on the bailey too claustrophobic and isolated.
Extracurriculars: Reading, writing, mock trial, mentoring, student head of English department at sixth form
Original post by Lemur14
Hiya, I'm a first year at Butler so if you have any questions then feel free to ask :smile:

Okay thanks so much! I’ve got a few questions...
because it’s self catered, do you guys still end up eating together or bonding over mealtimes? I was worried that this would be an awkward part of self catering
I know it’s early, but have you had any issues with people being messy? Not tidying up the kitchen, etc
How do you actually find the accommodation? I read that all of JB is en suite but I’m not sure if this is true...
What is the club scene like? What kind of clubs does JB have, I’ve seen a few on the website like Christian Union, Marvel/DC etc but are there any that stood out to you?
What are you studying?
Do you think that the college’s system of pairing people up depending on personality types etc has worked?
Would you say you’ve already made friends, or is it still a bit awkward? I’m not entirely sure what to expect...
Original post by gbemicherish
Okay thanks so much! I’ve got a few questions...
because it’s self catered, do you guys still end up eating together or bonding over mealtimes? I was worried that this would be an awkward part of self catering
I know it’s early, but have you had any issues with people being messy? Not tidying up the kitchen, etc
How do you actually find the accommodation? I read that all of JB is en suite but I’m not sure if this is true...
What is the club scene like? What kind of clubs does JB have, I’ve seen a few on the website like Christian Union, Marvel/DC etc but are there any that stood out to you?
What are you studying?
Do you think that the college’s system of pairing people up depending on personality types etc has worked?
Would you say you’ve already made friends, or is it still a bit awkward? I’m not entirely sure what to expect...

I'll start with a disclaimer of I'm in the quietest block so things might be different in the other ones!
I would say there's less eating/bonding over meal times than at catered colleges, because obviously without a set time to eat then there's wider times people might be cooking/eating. For instance, I have flatmates that like to eat at 6/6:30 and equally ones that rarely start cooking before 8! That's not to say you can't bond over mealtimes though, some flats cook together most nights and you also have a day a week for mentor evening where college provides food and you eat with your flat :smile: I think what I'm saying basically is that if you want to cook with people and stuff there'll almost certainly be chance for that, but equally if you want to avoid everyone for an evening you might well manage that too!

Not really any issues with mess. Your kitchen is cleaned once a week but obviously you have to keep it clean inbetween and if it's messy when the cleaner comes they can refuse to clean so everyone wants to avoid that! Sometimes people leave washing up out but that's really the worst of the mess, and it's always gone 24 hours later, it's just if they're rushing to somewhere and they'll do it later.

Personally I really like the accomodation. It's fairly modern (well it's 13 years old to be precise, but I wouldn't be totally surprised it it's been redone in that time), fairly spacious and yes, all rooms have an ensuite. You have a massive desk and a relatively decent amount of storage space too :smile: And my bed is soo comfy I never want to get out of it in the morning :lol:

I thought you meant like partying clubs for a second there :rofl: We call that kind of thing societies and there's absolutely loads. There's basically every team sport you can think of, all sorts of committees for different things (tech to support events, charity to raise money, social to organise formals and loads more I can't think of). Then societies there's film, gaming, karoke, baking, theatre, many music ones, hiking, cheese and wine, art, dance, disney, fifa, stargazing and meme plus tonnes more! And if there's a society you would like there to be and there isn't, if you can get a group of people together who want to join then you can create it. There's also societies with the University rather than the college for certain things which may not be big enough for college ones but people still want to have one and there's so many of them I won't even attempt a list! If you look on the student union website then there's a massive list :smile: My personal favourite is probably baking society, we bake (or buy) stuff before the meeting and then go and share all our bakes. Plus we're also meeting to watch bake off atm which is great fun (and free cake never goes amiss :tongue:)

I'm studying maths, but I know people studying a decent variety of subjects if you want to know something specific :smile:

I think the system works better for some people than others. Some people do absolutely everything with their flat and they all get on brilliantly. Personally, while I'm really happy with my flat, I don't have any close friends in it because there just happens to be no one who I really overlap in interests with (although obviously we share some interests, it's just not everything). We're matched well in terms of living though, we're all fairly quiet, don't really drink (although no one afaik objects to it, we're not an alcohol free flat or anything) and very happy to co-exist without being best friends iyswim

I would say it's a bit of a mixture. I've got people I would consider friends at this stage, mostly on my course because being very high contact hours means we spend a lot of time walking to the same places, moaning about the same things etc. And also people I get on with who might well becomes friends properly at a later stage but I wouldn't call them friends just yet because I don't know them well enough. I wouldn't say it's awkward, although equally it's not 100% comfortable because people are still getting used to things (this was the first full week of everything running so still getting into routines and stuff!)

Hope that helps :hugs: Let me know if you've got any more questions (or anyone else)!
Reply 89
Original post by gbemicherish
Hi all!
This is for anyone applying to Durham for 2020.... thought we might as well get our own thread! :biggrin:

To get this started:

What course are you applying for:
Subjects you are currently studying:
Predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Which other unis you are applying to:
Why you like Durham:
What colleges you are considering:
Extracurriculars:

@Puddlesthemonkey

I’ve applied for marketing and management😄
currently studying Cam tech extended diploma in business and a level law
predicted D*D*D* A
gcse grades 9 in maths then mainly B’s
already got offers from Newcastle and UEA, also applied to Loughborough and Heriot-Watt(random mix I know)
just loved Durham, good course, lovely city and everyone was so nice
I applied to South College the new one but not really fussed if I was to get reallocated
i play piano and go to the gym🤷🏽*♀️
I was wondering if anyone has an offer yet? Durham apparently takes forever to reply so I'm curious.
Reply 91
Original post by tiredteenager
I was wondering if anyone has an offer yet? Durham apparently takes forever to reply so I'm curious.

There are a few on this thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6177978&p=85652332&page=18#post85652332 but they all seem to have been reported by someone else and not the actual offer holder. It says on the website that you should hear around 3 months after you apply but combined honours courses take longer
Reply 92

i’ve got an offer for politics, contextual as well. i reckon it depends on what course you’re doing.

I think most of the ones that have been given out so far have been contextual - 2 of my friends did a summer school there and so have already received their offers (for psychology) :smile:))))
Degree: Psychology with a year aboard
A levels: biology, psychology and religious studies
GCSEs: 9, 3 x 8, 2 x 7, 2 x 6
Other unis: Bristol, Leeds, liverpool, John moores (my safety option haha)
Why Durham: I like how it has a college system but is a bit more relaxed than oxbridge, it’s a beautiful place and overall I really liked the course structure! :smile:
Original post by sophiemarie38
Degree: Psychology with a year aboard
A levels: biology, psychology and religious studies
GCSEs: 9, 3 x 8, 2 x 7, 2 x 6
Other unis: Bristol, Leeds, liverpool, John moores (my safety option haha)
Why Durham: I like how it has a college system but is a bit more relaxed than oxbridge, it’s a beautiful place and overall I really liked the course structure! :smile:

I also applied for psychology at Durham!
What college did you apply to? i went for hatfield
I just got an offer for the Biosciences Msci
Original post by Trikkollex
I just got an offer for the Biosciences Msci

Ahhht that’s sick well done! What were your predicted?
Original post by JessieAllen03
Ahhht that’s sick well done! What were your predicted?

A*A*A, I got a reduced offer tho, did anyone else?
Original post by Trikkollex
A*A*A, I got a reduced offer tho, did anyone else?

I was just slightly confused, everyone was saying Durham don’t give out early offers and thank you :smile:

Latest