tvkradi22
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello! I have heard from several sources that the workload of AS and A levels is extremely high, at least compared to IGCSEs. Does anyone (preferably someone who has done A levels or is in the middle of them) have any advice for how to stay on top of things?
MissAdvice200
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just finished yr 12 - it was definitely higher than GCSEs but is manageable. The difficulty is that you need to be organised and on the ball all the time and for every single lesson.
username4339332
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MissAdvice200)
Just finished yr 12 - it was definitely higher than GCSEs but is manageable. The difficulty is that you need to be organised and on the ball all the time and for every single lesson.
Thanks for sharing. What subjects did you do? Obviously some subjects are more demanding than others, and so I'm thinking of taking Biology, Chemisty and Maths and I'm unsure what the workload would be like. Does anyone have any experience or idea? Thanks
Cheesybread
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You have to stay on top of the work. Be organised. Do past papers
Dora Tarannum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey
I'm currently in my Advanced subsidiary(As) level and I'm finding it pretty difficult. It's at least 10 times harder than IGCSE if not more. I got A* in all the 6 subjects I had in IGCSE but now that I'm in my AS I can't even manage to get a C or D grade in the class tests. Many of my friends are even ending up with E or U
Solving the past papers are not helping me either . No matter how much you study it's never enough
I'll just advice you to study everyday . Do not waste a moment and start doing the past papers and leave the rest up to your fate
tvkradi22
Rep:
?
(Original post by MissAdvice200)
What AS levels did you take?
avacados1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’ve just finished my first year of maths and chemistry. With maths, as long as you keep up with assignments, what you are learning in class, you should be completely fine. I would suggest doing review exercises for topics whilst you are doing the topics or right after because then you have it out of the way and a lot of times in a level maths, topics build on ideas from other topics. I found chemistry harder than maths but that’s only cos I found maths relatively straightforward. With chemistry, the workload could seem a bit intense at first but that’s only because ur being introduced to all these new ideas at first . After a while, you get used to it.
tvkradi22
Rep:
?
(Original post by tvkradi22)
Hello! I have heard from several sources that the workload of AS and A levels is extremely high, at least compared to IGCSEs. Does anyone (preferably someone who has done A levels or is in the middle of them) have any advice for how to stay on top of things?
I am planning on taking Chemistry, Maths, English and Geo for AS levels. Then I plan on dropping Maths for A levels. Any specific advice?
tvkradi22
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dora Tarannum)
Hey
I'm currently in my Advanced subsidiary(As) level and I'm finding it pretty difficult. It's at least 10 times harder than IGCSE if not more. I got A* in all the 6 subjects I had in IGCSE but now that I'm in my AS I can't even manage to get a C or D grade in the class tests. Many of my friends are even ending up with E or U
Solving the past papers are not helping me either . No matter how much you study it's never enough
I'll just advice you to study everyday . Do not waste a moment and start doing the past papers and leave the rest up to your fate
How many AS levels are you taking?
Dora Tarannum
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
3 subjects
Biology physics and chemistry
tvkradi22
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dora Tarannum)
3 subjects
Biology physics and chemistry
Well I can imagine that those are pretty tough. But don't they all go hand in hand?
Dora Tarannum
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well I can imagine that those are pretty tough. But don't they all go hand in hand?
Yes they do go hand in hand yet have very different topics and the enormous specification each subjects have just makes it a lot more harder .
vivv322
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've just finished Year 13. Workload is significantly higher in Year 13 than it is in Year 12, which depending on the subjects you do and the attitude you take can be quite an easy year. I remember there was quite a jump from Year 12 to Year 13 because everything you do in Year 13 matters. The workload is manageable for most of the two years, the only time when it got really difficult was in the run-up to the A Level exams, at which point you have to be very organised, focused and committed. I'd say it's difficult but absolutely possible to stay on top of things, you just need to be prepared for it.
MissAdvice200
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Huckipity)
Thanks for sharing. What subjects did you do? Obviously some subjects are more demanding than others, and so I'm thinking of taking Biology, Chemisty and Maths and I'm unsure what the workload would be like. Does anyone have any experience or idea? Thanks
I did Maths, Chemistry and English Literature (all AQA). Maths and Chemistry was not much of a jump because we started with bits of the specification that we covered during GCSE however it will get harder and require more outside of lessons work. English Literature on the other hand I didn’t take as seriously as I should have in terms of outside reading.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (76)
63.33%
I don't have everything I need (44)
36.67%

Watched Threads