The Student Room Group

Help me to decide (international student)

Hello, good afternoon everyone!♥️

I want to ask you something guys, i’m an international student that must to study a 4 years undergraduate degree, so my question is WHAT is BETTER for me and WHY? ⬇️⬇️⬇️

Studying a 4 years degree like in Edinburgh Uni (OR) enter a foundation course then studying a 3 years degree (I haven’t decide which uni yet)?

Btw i‘m planning to study engineering

PLEASE HELP MEEEE :frown:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
What unis were your options and what kind of engineering?
foundation degrees are more useful if your grades are lower or you lack experience. do you have a lot of education/experience in engineering? if you have some experience and get accepted into a four year course then go for that! if its four years there's likely a placement year as your third year where you will go out a work in the industry. placement years are really useful for increasing your employability, getting contacts and getting a job quickly after graduation. it really depends on your confidence/experience/education in engineering!
Reply 3
Original post by achichat
What unis were your options and what kind of engineering?

Mechanical engineering, actually I heard that Uni of Manchester & Uni of Bath are good at this field, but as i said I haven’t decided yet.

And i read that Uni of Edinburgh is also have a 2nd Year entry, but I don’t know what is the different than a 4 years degree.
Reply 4
Original post by nintysixthousand
foundation grades are more useful if your grades are lower or you lack experience. do you have a lot of education/experience in engineering? if you have some experience and get accepted into a four year course then go for that! if its four years there's likely a placement year as your third year where you will go out a work in the industry. placement years are really useful for increasing your employability, getting contacts and getting a job quickly after graduation. it really depends on your confidence/experience/education in engineering!

My degrees are very good, but actually I don’t have any experience in engineering, i only studied one calculus course, one physics course and one statistics course during my 1st year at my national uni.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
My grades***
Generally speaking basic Bachelor degrees in Scotland are 4 years and in England are 3 years (due to differences in the qualifications taken to get in.) Edinburgh offers a second year entry to those with higher qualifications in certain subjects. You would need to contact them to ask whether you would qualify for the second year entry.

Some universities in England offer 4 year bachelor degrees, which usually include a year spent in industry or sometimes research.

There is also the option to do an integrated masters degree - in England this is usually 4 years of study, and in Scotland 5. Sometimes you can include a year in industry but then you usually have to do some distance learning alongside working in order to cover all the masters material.

Or you can do a 3 years Bachelor degree and a separate masters degree usually in a more specific area.

The foundation year is usually for people who don't have the qualifications to go straight into the bachelor degree - either because they haven't taken the right subjects or their grades aren't good enough.

It would probably be a good idea to contact some universities you are interested in and let them know your qualifications. They would then be able to advise you on which course would be best for you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending