Kaaayy19
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello, good afternoon everyone!♥️

I want to ask you something guys, i’m an international student that must to study a 4 years undergraduate degree, so my question is WHAT is BETTER for me and WHY? ⬇️⬇️⬇️

Studying a 4 years degree like in Edinburgh Uni (OR) enter a foundation course then studying a 3 years degree (I haven’t decide which uni yet)?

Btw i‘m planning to study engineering

PLEASE HELP MEEEE
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Foundation year is usually if you are lacking a bit of knowledge or have or expect lower grades than for the normal three year engineering course.
for example, I was offered Electrical Engineering at Cardiff university with quite a poor maths result at 'A'-level, and they said at interview that I could get in and they would teach me Maths properly in that year.

Edinburgh has the four year course, in common with many Scottish Universities, as the students in Scotland take "highers" as their end of school exam, not the slightly more demanding 'A'-levels common in the rest of the UK. So the first year of the four year course is to bring Scottish students up to the 'normal' entry level for university.

So , if you need a Foundation, or a Scottish "first" year - then great, but if you are an international studnet paying mucho$$$, and if you are getting good grades, then I suggest either applying to a standard UK three year compact engineering course, or applying for direct entry to Year Two at Scottish universities such as Strathclyde, Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Choose somewhere that is great value for money, and appropriate for your interests. If you have the £€$ to do a "Four year" course, why not do a standard Bachelor degree in engineering 3-uears, , then a single year Master degree. That would launch you into the world of work & enterprise much faster, if you have the right grades for STEM.
Kaaayy19
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you so much for reply 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

But i want to clarify two things

1. My current qualification (national qualification) is NOT accepted in uk unis. When I applied through UCAS 2019, I only got a 4 years degree offer from UofE & rejected from all other unis.

2. I had to take a complete 4 years bcuz of my country’s ministry of education does NOT accept 3 years degrees & also does NOT accept MEng degrees.
So, i have no choice either a 4 years degree or foundation course + 3 years BEng
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Foundation year plus standard Bachelor it is then!

UK unis are a bit insular, I also applied from EU to five Scottish universities this year and only got one offer, partly they don't completely understand the rest of the world - find ANYONE in the UK who speaks two languages, and I'll be impressed and partly they are in a high stress competition with the hundreds of other universities. Their biggest fear is probably signing a student up, and that student not completing the course, a potential big loss of (virtual) $$$?

You can make a possible connection through the August 15th Clearing day 2019, you can completely bypass UCAS by finding your ideal course, talking to the complete list of foundation year courses as of now, if you already have your national result, and finding a match where a college will accept you, and importantly, you will reciprocally benefit from their course.

So there are two powerful and not widely discussed documents that work at this time of year , clues are given on pages like this
https://staff.brighton.ac.uk/mac/pub...igital_pdf.pdf

The above link is overtly a "Clearing acceptance form", digitally signed. But if you read some text you'll see that it is also a "UCAS Record of Prior Acceptance" (RPA)This is the 'magic' document that can give direct entrance to a UK university, completely bypassing the UCAS file.

As you have a UCAS file, that means you can still use the August 15th Clearing, and don't fully need to launch an RPA application.

Also, if by UofE you mean university of Edinburgh, then just go there, if you meet their grades, it is an amazing college in a wonderful small capital city!
My friend who studied engineering there a while ago is doing very very well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
9.09%
I need help researching courses (5)
9.09%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.45%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
43.64%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (13)
23.64%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.64%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.45%

Watched Threads