Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Ok I recently found out I have chlamydia, its a long story but basically when I was treated for it 6 months ago, it didnt go away (because neither of us have been with anyone else) but I assumed it had. Anyway thats all kind of irrelevant as I was just curious about sex now. I am going away with my boyfriend (long distance) today and obviously wanted sex, but we are both being treated for chlamydia. My doctor said to 'use protection' if we have sex but fair enough if we use condoms but surely things like fingering can pass things on?? like if he fingers me then touches his penis or whatever? Im so confused as it also made me think about people who have one night stands...as yes they may use a condom but does that actually protect them when it comes to things like foreplay?? (I know oral sex is a different matter and that protection should always be used, I was mainly on about just touching, as surely noone goes to the bathroom to wash their hands after touching the other persons genitals before coming into contact with themselves??
Anonymous #2
Report 11 years ago
Can I just ask - do you know why it didn't go away? I mean did you get yourself re-infected or did the treatment just not work properly?

I was treated for it at the beginning of the year, single dose of antibiotics. It's still a mystery as to how I had it because neither of my potential partners did apparently. But yeah, guess I'm just worried it didn't clear up?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Mine is a long story but basically I reinfected myself as I got it in my eye as well (such a long story) so I assumed it went away with the antibiotics but it didnt, then this time round I asked the doc and he said that is probably what happened, tho he gave me different medication this time round to make sure it definatly goes, apparntly its 80-90% effective which to me is not actually that high if you know what I mean? If I had known it could only be 80% effective I would have got tested earlier again for sure.
Anonymous #2
Report 11 years ago
Ah thanks for the answer. I had Zithromax/Azithromycin iirc which they told me was really effective! In the eye must suck though

As for your initial question about spreading it I'm really not sure. :\ When did you start treatment? Was it a single dose (something like four tablets in one go) Zithromax?

This is probably bad advice but if I were in your shoes I'd not worry too much and just get re-tested again a couple of weeks after your trip, then get treated at a time I'd be sure of no sexual contact for the necessary period. In my case, I was only (apparently) potentially contagious for the week immediately following treatment, but had to use condoms for the next two weeks as the antibiotics interfered with the pill.
FrancisM89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Basically, "herpes" is the coolest word ever.
Touche
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ah thanks for the answer. I had Zithromax/Azithromycin iirc which they told me was really effective! In the eye must suck though

As for your initial question about spreading it I'm really not sure. :\ When did you start treatment? Was it a single dose (something like four tablets in one go) Zithromax?

This is probably bad advice but if I were in your shoes I'd not worry too much and just get re-tested again a couple of weeks after your trip, then get treated at a time I'd be sure of no sexual contact for the necessary period. In my case, I was only (apparently) potentially contagious for the week immediately following treatment, but had to use condoms for the next two weeks as the antibiotics interfered with the pill.
Azithromycin is used for a couple of reasons, the main attraction over other drugs being compliance. A lot of kids with chlamydia will not take their meds properly, or will even lose them within hours! If your doctor uses Azithromycin they can watch it being taken. It works for about 10 days, and during all that time there should be no sex... so complete abstinence preferably. I know some people can't handle that, so condoms if they must! The trace of chlamydia thing on people's hands, throats etc that the OP mentions is exactly why. It's nice for both partners to be treated at the same time so they can start having sex again after 10 days rather than having 2 seperate waits.

If someone has chlamydia, ALL recent partners should be treated irrespective of what their tests show.

As far as retesting goes, chlamydia tests will still be positive upto 6 weeks after antibiotics. This is because chlamydia tests look for tiny traces of chlamydia. If you had chlamydia, and were treated successfully, you will still have these traces of the dead bugs flying around.

It is generally felt that retests are not required unless someone is still symptomatic or pregnant. Cure rates from Doxy and Azithro are actually 97-98%(1), and in the people who are not cured there tends to be some funky circumstance (like the eye thing here). Multi-drug resistance of chlamydia to antibiotics isn't all that common (in fact it's still the stuff of rare case reports), but to certain drugs on their own resistance floats around 4-8%(2).

1. Lau CY, Qureshi AK. Azithromycin versus doxycycline for genital chlamydial infections: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. Sex Transm Dis. 2002 Sep;29(9):497-502.
2. Samra Z, Rosenberg S, Soffer Y, Dan M. In vitro susceptibility of recent clinical isolates of Chlamydia trachomatis to macrolides and tetracyclines. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2001 Mar;39(3):177-9.
Anonymous #3
Report 11 years ago
Thought I might as well put this here.
(Anon, as my ex-boyfriend is on here, and he'd be livid if he knew)

I'm a healthcare student, so should really know this...but...
I've picked up one of those DIY Chlamydia test kits from my uni. I just need to do a vaginal swab. However, I'm currently having frequent unprotected sex with a guy (please, no lectures on this). Do you think it's OK to do the swab even though it's likely that it'd also pick up traces of his semen? Or should I wait until I haven't had sex for a few days and then do it? Sounds silly, but perhaps if it picks up both of us, it'll test for both??

Thanks!
Anonymous #4
Report 11 years ago
Quick question, if you use condoms when having sex, can you ever catch a STI? Anon or delete please.
Touche
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Anon 3 - Just do the test, it doesn't matter if there are traces of his semen. If it comes back +ve you'd both need treatment anyway.

Anon 4 - If you don't have any accidents and use condoms for everything (oral sex included) it is very unlikely. But it is just about still possible if you've both been naked with fluids flowing... all it takes is a bit of chlamydia to get in the wrong place.
Bassmonkey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Anon 4: Yes, STIs such as lice and herpes could easily be passed on even with a condom.
Touche
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Bassmonkey is right, I read 'STI' as chlamydia (prolly cos the rest of the thread is mainly on chlamydia).

Herpes, molluscum, warts and syphilis can all jump around while still using condoms cos they go through skin contact rather than urethral/cervical contact.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.15%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.06%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.76%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.55%
There's nothing they could do (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads