The Student Room Group

Having 3 A-Level Subjects with Further Maths as one of them.

Hi I am currently in my first year of college, bound to sit for my AS in a couple of months and to submit my ucas application soon.
I currently have the combination of Double Maths, Econs and Physics. But I plan to drop Physics in A2, after taking it in AS, which will leave me with 3 subjects in A2. Reasons for this is because:
1. I hate physics :tongue:
2. I plan on pursuing a maths/finance/economics related career.
I have read a lot of posts here saying universities like LSE, Oxbridge and Imperial wouldn't let me have Further Maths as my 3rd subject.
I want to ask how true is this?
This is because, I've sent them personal emails enquiring about this and they said they do view Maths and further maths as 2 separate subjects. And on Lse's website, the courses that I'm interested in are happy to consider students who are offering ' A level Maths, Further Maths and another subject'
I really hope that dropping physics wouldn't put me at a disadvantage but I don't want to be without any offers and options when me application comes back due to my remaining subjects available.
Thank you in advance.

Websites for references:
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Admissions-Information
'Maths and Further Maths section'
- The courses that I'm aiming for is either Actuarial Science, Maths and Stats, or Financial Mathematics
Original post by _seannlee_
Hi I am currently in my first year of college, bound to sit for my AS in a couple of months and to submit my ucas application soon.
I currently have the combination of Double Maths, Econs and Physics. But I plan to drop Physics in A2, after taking it in AS, which will leave me with 3 subjects in A2. Reasons for this is because:
I have read a lot of posts here saying universities like LSE, Oxbridge and Imperial wouldn't let me have Further Maths as my 3rd subject.
This is because, I've sent them personal emails enquiring about this and they said they do view Maths and further maths as 2 separate subjects. And on Lse's website, the courses that I'm interested in are happy to consider students who are offering ' A level Maths, Further Maths and another subject'
I really hope that dropping physics wouldn't put me at a disadvantage but I don't want to be without any offers and options when me application comes back due to my remaining subjects available.
Thank you in advance.

Websites for references:
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Admissions-Information
- The courses that I'm aiming for is either Actuarial Science, Maths and Stats, or Financial Mathematics

Not true. You're 100% fine and your subjects look perfect for what you want to do.

Absolutely no reason to worry. Drop Physics. :fluffy:
You appear to have answered your own question.
As someone who did further maths and maths and Spanish for A2, I can tell you that it is fully possible to do this. I know of many cases particularly for Oxford where people got in with just these three. It is still three a level and the vast majority of universities don’t have a problem with it. I received five offers doing just these three and you shouldn’t be put of by people telling you to do more. At the end of the day, quality is better than quantity
Thank you in advance.

Websites for references:

It's fine and the unis themselves have even told you it's fine - they are the best people to ask not us :smile:

Also, why you have picked Physics if you hate Physics and don't need it for your intended career - you should drop it!
For the courses you're planning to apply for, Maths, Further Maths and Economics would be perfectly fine. You've already contacted the unis who have told you the combination is fine.

If you've heard anything against taking maths and FM as two of your three subjects, the only real issue with doing both of those two is with medicine and related courses that tend not to include both in an offer.
Reply 6
Yeah don't worry, I've just finished double maths and physics and I'm completely fine, and for what you're doing, you will be completely fine.
Reply 7
Original post by harrysbar
It's fine and the unis themselves have even told you it's fine - they are the best people to ask not us :smile:

Also, why you have picked Physics if you hate Physics and don't need it for your intended career - you should drop it!

It's kinda coz of my college. They only let me have further maths as a fourth option. And in the further maths cohort, I had either the choice of physics or computer science. So my only way to cheat the system was to take physics to As level and then drop it after :tongue:
Reply 8
My reason for this question was because I've been reading other threads and many of them said that places like Oxbridge and LSE would not offer you places as opposed to others who are offering 4 subjects
My reason for this question was because I've been reading other threads and many of them said that places like Oxbridge and LSE would not offer you places as opposed to others who are offering 4 subjects

That might've been the case in the past. But, now FM is considered a separate A level.

You have to remember that this is an internet forum and some people give advice without knowing the facts, though they are trying to help. Your best bet is always to check with the uni Admissions if the issue is an important one,which you have done. Presumably you will also be going to Open Days in Year 12 before you drop Physics, so that will be another opportunity to talk to the people involved in Admissions
It's kinda coz of my college. They only let me have further maths as a fourth option. And in the further maths cohort, I had either the choice of physics or computer science. So my only way to cheat the system was to take physics to As level and then drop it after :tongue:

Do you mean your college made it mandatory for everyone taking FM to also take physics or CS?
Those A-Level choices are by far the best for the courses you're looking for, I'm doing actuarial science and did the exact same subjects for A-Levels (I did Psychology As Level and dropped that second year as well). If anything the fact you have both Further Maths and Economics will really help you in your first year of uni regardless of which of those 3 courses you choose.
Original post by GreenCub
Do you mean your college made it mandatory for everyone taking FM to also take physics or CS?

Yup. It was either double maths Cs and econs. Or, Double Maths econs and physics
It's fine, LSE used to have language advising FM was only considered as a fourth subject for single honours economics, this has now been changed to my knowledge. I believe PPE at LSE however indicates those with it as part of a combination of three would be weaker applicants. The joint honours subjects with maths at LSE specifically indicate it's acceptable as part of a combination of three (and recommend applicants take it if possible).

For the rest it's fine, plenty of applicants to Cambridge economics have double maths and economics as their A-levels. For maths at Cambridge, they do note that physics can be helpful as there is a fair amount of applied maths in the course (at least some of which you have to take in first year), although they have supplementary lectures for those who haven't had much mechanics exposure before starting. It might be a bit less competitive for PPE at Oxford, although that's not really based on any particular data I can find so, personal opinion really...

Other than some courses at LSE which quibble over it, the only course that regularly indicates an issue with double maths and one other subject only is medicine - which you aren't applying to (and it would only be relevant if you took chemistry as your third subject anyway).
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 15
All depends on which course you want to do, I did Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry and I'm going to LSE in September to do Maths and Econ, but then for example some courses like Medicine won't accept further maths as a third a-level, so check all of the courses you are looking at just to make sure.
Original post by Aadz7
some courses like Medicine won't accept further maths as a third a-level, so check all of the courses you are looking at just to make sure.

To do Medicine you need both Chem and Bio meaning that you wouldn't be able to do FM as a third subject (considering that you'd need to do Maths to even do FM).
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Quick-use
To do Medicine you need both Chem and Bio meaning that you wouldn't be able to do your

Several medical schools do not require both chemistry and biology.
Original post by ageshallnot
Several medical schools do not require both chemistry and biology.

I believe there are some medical schools that say that those without both can apply but I'm pretty sure ideally they'd prefer students to have both.
Original post by Quick-use
I believe there are some medical schools that say that those without both can apply but I'm pretty sure ideally they'd prefer students to have both.

In that case they would say so.

Quick Reply

Latest