Do I still have to pay PGCE tuition fees? Watch

urblec
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
The 25k bursary is a big help in covering the 9k tuition fees.

But been reading a few horror stories about how difficult a PGCE is...

So I'm now worried that If I fail my PGCE, e.g. half way through the year, does this mean I still have to pay the tuition fees, yet lose out on the bursary payments?
airfixfighter
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You pay up to however much of the course you've done. You have to pay termly so if you leave early, you pay up to the term you're on - same as normal university.

Don't worry about whether you'll leave early. I've had a very positive experience throughout my PGCE which I finished in June - I feel people are far more likely to complain about a bad experience than to talk about their good experiences. I did science (a subject where trainees traditionally struggle) and, in a cohort of 28, only one left and that was due to a family illness, not the course. Obviously, I would recommend you talk to people currently teaching and make sure you have a realistic idea of what the year and the job will entail
S27
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You still pay the tuition fees (these are usually through student finance) so you never see the money. i think the payments are broken down into terms, so if you only do a few weeks, you only pay for that term. Again, SFE take care of it.

You won't lose the bursary but they payments will obviously stop if you leave. They we're also weighted if I recall, so something like 2.5k a month and then a "finishing" payment of 4k - something like that.

Just to add to what's been said. You will only really ever hear the horror stories online! The people who have had a positive experince (like me!) only really say so when prompted! Stay positive!!
Last edited by S27; 2 weeks ago
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by urblec)
The 25k bursary is a big help in covering the 9k tuition fees.

But been reading a few horror stories about how difficult a PGCE is...

So I'm now worried that If I fail my PGCE, e.g. half way through the year, does this mean I still have to pay the tuition fees, yet lose out on the bursary payments?
Most people take out a fees loan to cover the tuition fee payments, and then if you do drop out, everything is sorted between student finance and the uni.

Do be aware that the fees payment schedule doesn't really match up with the bursary payment schedule, so if you do want to pay fees out of your bursary, you'll usually have to negotiate a payment plan with your uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
15.6%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (32)
14.68%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (45)
20.64%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (83)
38.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (12)
5.5%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise