Allcry
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, for a while I have been impressed upon to read heavily about the law to just navigate life.
Family law, Housing, EU consumer law, and probate.
I already have a degree and no funds to study.

On completing my law degree I would like to be helpful. Not necessarily being paid. But helping those at times of crisis, usually when a council keeps saying no (but is legally obligated to say yes or maybe).

Do I need to be qualified to give legal advice?
Can you suggest ways to get funded for study, if certification is actually needed?
And or ways to get certified to help at a Citizens advice or other public-facing legal advice centres?
I would like to be a barrister how can this fit a pathway to this goal?

Thanks in advance.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Allcry)
Hi, for a while I have been impressed upon to read heavily about the law to just navigate life.

On completing my law degree I would like to be helpful. Not necessarily being paid. But helping those at times of crisis, usually when a council keeps saying no (but is legally obligated to say yes or maybe).

Can you suggest ways to get funded for study, if certification is actually needed?
And or ways to get certified to help at a Citizens advice or other public-facing legal advice centres?

Thanks in advance.
1. Bit of a minefield, but yes you can, although you have to be careful in what you say, what advice you can give, what work you can do and what you say you are qualified to do.
https://www.progressionsolicitors.co...ments-company/
2. You could get funding for the LPC or the BPTC,
3. You could try and get a job as a paralegal.
4. Just go and volunteer at CAB.
5. If you have spent three years studying Law, then didnt you use your uni careers service? There are plenty of sites which list how to become a solicitor or barrister.

Your thread imo isnt clear if your degree is a non law degree or law.
rollandrock
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It hugely depentlfs on what you want to do, so it would help of you had a clearer idea of that before you embark on any studies. I think you can advise at some law centres or citizens' advice bureaus without a formal legal, qualifications, but of you want to be a barrister then obviously you need to study (lots of info about this career path online, just Google it).

As you already have a degree, you can do the GDL (conversion course) in a year rather than a full law degree; it's not cheap but obviously cheaper than studying for three years.

You'd have a bette chance of finding of you went the solicitor route - many firms pay for the conversion course and LPC - but the competition is very high, possibly even higher in those areas of law you mention.

Your best option is to try and get some unpaid work experience, whether in a law centre, solicitors' firm, and/or barristers' chambers - this will help you decide where your interest and skills lie, and you'll need it for your CV to apply for pupillage / training contracts / jobs.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You don't need a qualification to work at CAB, however the Free Representation Unit does require you be a qualified lawyer (or be past the last term of a 3 year law degree before graduating).

To become a solicitor you don't require a first degree in law (it can be in any subject), nor do you even necessarily need a law qualification at all with the new SQE coming out. The become a barrister you do need a law qualification, which can either be a bachelors (e.g. senior status if you have a first degree) or a GDL. I believe there are some very competitive scholarships offered by some chambers for very promising applicants to undertake a GDL and/or BPTC. After this you need to do the BPTC, then get a pupillage. It is enormously competitive to get a pupillage, and very expensive to do the BPTC.

Neither the GDL nor the BPTC are eligible for any funding from Student Finance England in of themselves, although there are some GDL (and possibly BPTC) courses which can be "topped up" to a masters by writing a dissertation. If you can apply directly to this route that may be eligible for the graduate loan scheme.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Allcry)

Thanks in advance.
For CAB, you will be fully trained before you start advising clients. The training for full adviser is actually equivalent to a level 3 (i.e. A-Levels), if you apply and pay for the qualification. But you'd not be able to start academic courses with the L3 -- just get a nice certificate to say you've done and passed training. It is not competitive to get into CAB; they will take anyone who isn't half-dead.

I would suggest you do an LLM which covers the GDL material; get SLC funding for it. Really, I think you need to try to get as much practical experience as possible.

You can also go down the CILEx route.
Last edited by Notoriety; 2 months ago
Catherine1973
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I an doing law senior status at 46. I am self funding but can continue current role 1 day a week to cover it.
In current role I know lawyers I have worked with so am hoping that assists with any summer placements (though it would be a bit odd to do 2 weeks of photocopying with people I have been on other side of corporate deals) .
I also consider cab afterwards or maybe the cps side if I want to help people. I will also volunteer at university pro bono clinics.
Good luck!
Crazy Jamie
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
I believe there are some very competitive scholarships offered by some chambers for very promising applicants to undertake a GDL and/or BPTC.
Kind of. Sets with high pupillage awards sometimes allow a portion of the award to be drawn down to fund academic study. Though those are, unsurprisingly, sets that are out of the reach of all but the best candidates.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Crazy Jamie)
Kind of. Sets with high pupillage awards sometimes allow a portion of the award to be drawn down to fund academic study. Though those are, unsurprisingly, sets that are out of the reach of all but the best candidates.
I think he was referring to Inns rather than chambers. Though a lot of the Inns scholarships are only partial; a few grand or even less.
Crazy Jamie
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
I think he was referring to Inns rather than chambers. Though a lot of the Inns scholarships are only partial; a few grand or even less.
You may be right. And yes, some Inns offer a small number of larger prizes, whilst others offer many smaller prizes (some are even a few hundred pounds). It should go without saying that the competition for the larger prizes is significant.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
11.11%
They might tell the bully (2)
11.11%
I don't think they'd understand (3)
16.67%
It might lead to more bullying (6)
33.33%
There's nothing they could do (5)
27.78%

Watched Threads

Latest