The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Student diversity

Hi, to anyone who is enrolled in this uni, do you feel like there is a diverse range of students who come here? I am planning on attending this September and would like to get a better feel of the university. Thank you
Original post by Indiapatel31
Hi, to anyone who is enrolled in this uni, do you feel like there is a diverse range of students who come here? I am planning on attending this September and would like to get a better feel of the university. Thank you

Hi,

Well first things first: Southampton isn’t as diverse as London. But where students generally hang (Portswood, Highfield, City Centre) you shouldn’t be the target of any racist remarks or be stared at for being the only ethnic person in the street. That’s probably a fair benchmark.

As a BAME student myself, I’d say you shouldn’t feel uncomfortable or anything :smile: Lots of students come from BAME backgrounds, either home students and significant international community of students too.

There’s an international food store which is wildly popular (also shows the demand for things you may not be able to get in your local Sainsbury’s)

From an organised activity perspective, there are societies based on;

ethnicity (Asian Cultural Society- who host an amazing ball annually, Ghanasoc and ACS)

Religion: Isoc and Christian Union

As well as your usual societies based on shared interests, subject area or charitable causes, so you’re bound to meet people from a similar background. Plus, the great thing about uni is meeting people from a different background too :smile:

If you have any other questions lemme know, otherwise best of luck settling in!
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
can we get the job from where I can earn for my university fee , fooding and rent in London please suggest me
Original post by Prabin shah
can we get the job from where I can earn for my university fee , fooding and rent in London please suggest me

I think you need to start a new thread based on your question not use someone else’s. This thread is in the university of southampton section regardless :smile:
ok
Reply 5
Original post by Indiapatel31

its not bad not not great either, at least compared to London/Birmingham/Manchester. The ISOC/AsianSoc are probably the biggest societies in the union though from what I know
Reply 6
Minority ethnic student here.I do love how diverse the university is. I agree with MedicalMuffins' comprehensive rundown. If you want a first-hand feel of it, why not come down on the open day in early September?
Original post by 9910224
Minority ethnic student here.I do love how diverse the university is. I agree with MedicalMuffins' comprehensive rundown. If you want a first-hand feel of it, why not come down on the open day in early September?

I didn’t think of the open day! I think that’s a pretty good representation of both current and prospective students too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending