sandrak2001
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
how important was black activism in the advancement of the civil rights movement in the years 1954-65? . Quite frankly i'm stuck on to how i would begin to start my research and do my interpretations and sources , can i please get some help from anyone, i would be so thankful
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sandrak2001)
how important was black activism in the advancement of the civil rights movement in the years 1954-65? . Quite frankly i'm stuck on to how i would begin to start my research and do my interpretations and sources , can i please get some help from anyone, i would be so thankful
So your first task is to read the title carefully and get a feel for the question they are asking.
What are they key words that strike you immediately?

This is where a pen and paper are handy.

How important? Irrelevant, a bit, a lot, vital, significant but other factors?
Black activism. What is it ? which events? which people? What did they stand for? What did they want? Strengths and weaknesses?
Advancement What is advancement? How will you show it through your essay?
Civil rights movement What is the wider civil rights movement? How does black activism fit into it? Was it just about black rights? Were there other groups and civil rights factions?
1954-65, Your essay must cover the full period 1954-65 as these dates arent chose by accident.

One of the ways is to show a contracts whereby you can describe the movement in 1954 allude to the fact by 1965 things had possibly changed in line with the title.

Your reflection, evaluation and conclusion in the last part of the essay can examine the answer to the question and what happened during the period plus where civil rights was at by 1965.

You should have been taught how to write an essay by now, but it should have a middle beginning and an end. there are articles in the stickies about writing essays.

Introduction
Scope of investigation and method.
Area 1
Area 2
Area 3
Area 4
Area 5

Up to about Area 8

Each one can be 400 words on a topic covering an aspect of the essay be it an idea, person or year or event.
You are posing a question, investigating an issue, analysing it, explaining how it fits in, reaching a conclusion, using evidence.
It is important you put thought in these 6-9 areas to examine which you will feel must be investigated to get you to a position where you can answer it in the conclusion. Remember the key words I pointed out. These areas once investigated must put you in a good position to answer the question.

Once youve looked at everything then you can draw some conclusions plus also explain why you rejected certain ideas or theories.
Also interesting to put things you learned from the investigation.
You then finish off with your short conclusion.

Sources and evidence.

Start with a really strong understanding of the time-frame and black activism during the period. Make notes read articles etc.

Once you have good notes then make a list of sources you might find helpful from the time.
There are various civil rights books and museums plus websites you can find via googling.
If you have sorted and undisputed backbone of events, you can then look at sources to add colour or topical evidence to your essay or simply to back up the ideas you have about things happening at the time.

That is the basic way I would go about answering it. Think and get a real feeling for the events, how they fit together and then how best to answer the question you have been set. Thinking like this will give you the best chance to control your essay and to add some originality for a better mark.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (68)
32.85%
Yes - a trusted person (58)
28.02%
No (54)
26.09%
I'm not sure (27)
13.04%

Watched Threads