ChrisTheRockGod
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Here's a challenge for anyone doing AQA A2 English Language Variation and Change:
Identify and explain these features using linguistic terminology:

1. She come here yesterday.
2. It were worser than ever.
3. Is her ready yet?
4. She’s the girl what I saw.
5. We’re gooin’ for us dinners.
michaelyus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ChrisTheRockGod)
1. She come here yesterday.
2. It were worser than ever.
3. Is her ready yet?
4. She’s the girl what I saw.
5. We’re gooin’ for us dinners.
I haven't done ENA5 yet, but I'll have a really simple try...

1. A non-standard inflection for past tense "to come" - it is taken as "come" rather than "came".
2. Non-standard inflection for past tense verb "to be" in an existential sentence. Non-standard inflection for comparative adjective "bad", becoming "worser" rather than "worse".
3. The use of a non-standard inflection for the subject form of "she" (remaining as "she" in standard English) in an interrogative-by-inversion.
4. The use of "what" as a relative pronoun regardless of animacy - in standard English, animate objects take "who" as a relative pronoun, which declines in this case to "whom" in the object/accusative case.
5. "Us" as object/accusative case in standard English declines to the possessive/genitive "our", but here the "us" functions as the possessive/genitive.

I don't know how in-depth the analysis should be. How are we meant to explain the change?
ChrisTheRockGod
Rep:
?
(Original post by michaelyus)
I haven't done ENA5 yet, but I'll have a really simple try...

1. A non-standard inflection for past tense "to come" - it is taken as "come" rather than "came".
2. Non-standard inflection for past tense verb "to be" in an existential sentence. Non-standard inflection for comparative adjective "bad", becoming "worser" rather than "worse".
3. The use of a non-standard inflection for the subject form of "she" (remaining as "she" in standard English) in an interrogative-by-inversion.
4. The use of "what" as a relative pronoun regardless of animacy - in standard English, animate objects take "who" as a relative pronoun, which declines in this case to "whom" in the object/accusative case.
5. "Us" as object/accusative case in standard English declines to the possessive/genitive "our", but here the "us" functions as the possessive/genitive.

I don't know how in-depth the analysis should be. How are we meant to explain the change?
What do you mean you haven't done ENA5 yet?! how come you can use terms like 'interrogative-by-inversion', 'accusative case', and genitive?
I don't/can't use those and I've got this exam on Tuesday :|
michaelyus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ChrisTheRockGod)
What do you mean you haven't done ENA5 yet?! how come you can use terms like 'interrogative-by-inversion', 'accusative case', and genitive?
'Cos I did Latin GCSE. :p:

Interrogative-by-inversion is simply a sentence which has been made into an interrogative by inverting the subject and verb. In English it is only done with "to be" with a few others, although it is used in older styles of English. There are other ways in English to form questions.

Declarative statement = You do ENA5.
Interrogative-by-intonation = You do ENA5?
Interrogative with inversion under "to do" = Do you do ENA5?
Interrogative with inversion under negative "to do" (which seeks confirmation) = Don't you do ENA5?
Interrogative with a confirmation-seeking tag phrase = You do ENA5, don't you?
abderraouf
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
:|
ChrisTheRockGod
Rep:
?
(Original post by abderraouf)
:|
lmao my thoughts exactly...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads