Have to go to work in an hour... WANT TO QUIT HELP ME! :) Watch

Cathy_Rah
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Okk.... gotta be fast with this :P
I work at Primark. Its awful. I've been there about 3 months, and just had a ''holiday'' last weekend. Now i do not want to go back. When i'm there... i just want to cry. lol. it really is horrible. so what can i do? ring in and say ''I dont wish to work for you anymore, sorry im not coming in''? or just not turn up... argh im scared. and dont know what to do.. all I wanna do is revise

any advice is helpful
cantthinkofaname
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You may get a bad reference unless you give them a month or so notice.
depends what it says on your contract, if you dont have one then you probably could get away with a phonecall.
chernij
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't know what to do being honest, but don't not turn up - if you do this too often and they fire you, then it doesn't look good for your next employer does it?
Lisaanne
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You only need to give like a weeks notice because of the short time you've worked there, and they can't give you a bad reference even if you don't give any notice. Just ring and say you don't wish to work there any more. They can't make you carry on working there.
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think it would be better if you did it in person, rather than over the phone.
blondevalkyrie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
type up a resignation and take it in today giving a weeks notice?
randomgirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you quit like that, then you will not be getting a good reference. Do you know what your notice period is supposed to be? I'm afraid that the only you should really quit is by writing a letter of resignation and working your notice. Of course if the reference doesn't matter, just don't bother turning up.
Lisaanne
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It depends how much this job means to you I suppose. If you're young and this is your first job, you can more than likely get another job without needing experience (especially in Retail) so if you just walk out of this job and never mention it to future employers, it's no big problem, so it doesn't really matter how you quit.
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Employment is a contract, whether a written agreement is in place or not. In the assumed absence of a written contract ,and as you have only been there three months, a weeks notice should suffice.

If you do not give notice it may be that a week's wages you are currently due may be docked by your employer, remember that you may have accrued holiday pay.

Safest thing is to give a week's notice and then work out your notice.
Cathy_Rah
Rep:
?
lmao thank you for the advice. ive just quit... over the phone.. lmao ive never felt so happy hahahaha!!!!
Cathy_Rah
Rep:
?
they were suprsingly nice to me... i did tell my superviser last saturday.... and craig (the guy i spoke to on the phone) said he was expecting it. so do u all reckon it will make my reference terrible?
Lisaanne
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
They can't give you a terrible reference or say anything bad, thats the rules, they just leave it out. Say if you were always late, they just wouldn't comment on your time keeping at all. I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure a reference or lack of one from Primark wont damage your future employability too badly!
Joanna May
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I would think you won't get a reference at all. Although they ant say anythign bad, it's inferred from the absenced of a reference that you were a bit of a **** and either worked badly or did something like this (ie. quitting over the phone with no notice).

I wouldn't bother mentioning Primark on your CV, or expecting a reference at all.
Cathy_Rah
Rep:
?
lol well thats okay then
thanks.....
I was wondering if it is possible to just not put it on my CV and just have my last Job (tesco) as my reference. and I did work hard, was always on time, never pulled a sicky throughout my time there. so how can they give me a bad reference??? I'd have been leaving in sept anyway for uni :\
Lisaanne
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah just tell them you didn't work for three months ... took time out to revise for exams maybe??
Cathy_Rah
Rep:
?
Does it matter that they have my p45 though? won't my time of employment appear on that?
Lisaanne
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
they will post it to you and you are meant to pass it on to your next employer but I never did... and ive had 4 jobs lol.. don't know how important it is but I never had any problems.
Cathy_Rah
Rep:
?
aww great stuff. thanks for that lisaanne. btw, noticed you go to wolvo uni? my best mate is going next year, and im going birmingham uni. we wanted to know how far away the unis are from each other? will we be able to see each other easily etc?
Joanna May
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Cathy_Rah)
lol well thats okay then
thanks.....
I was wondering if it is possible to just not put it on my CV and just have my last Job (tesco) as my reference. and I did work hard, was always on time, never pulled a sicky throughout my time there. so how can they give me a bad reference??? I'd have been leaving in sept anyway for uni :\
They can refuse to give you one for not working your notice. By phoning in and quitting on the spot, they've been left in the lurch. So you've undone all your previous good work, by being unreliable. Most companies need you to serve anotice so they can go towards replacing you.

It's not unreasonable for a three month gap on your CV at this point in your life. A lot of 18 year olds don't have any jobs at all.
Lisaanne
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Birmingham uni can be reached from Wolvo I would say within the hour by train, just one train to Birmingham New Street which is about 25 mins then one to the uni from Birmingham New Street which is about 15 mins... there might be some direct buses but I'm not sure, as Wolverhampton is north of Birmingham and Birmingham uni is towards the south of the city. Not too far though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
6.99%
They might tell the bully (35)
9.41%
I don't think they'd understand (57)
15.32%
It might lead to more bullying (145)
38.98%
There's nothing they could do (109)
29.3%

Watched Threads