The Student Room Group

private a levels

hello
so I came to a decision a long time ago that I think I could come out with the best results for A levels if I did them at home, with private tutors maybe, rather than having to attend a sixth form everyday.
However I just don't know the way to go about it. On AQA's website they listed schools around my area that will potentially take private candidates. Do I ring them and ask them? Do I have to go to them? And if I'm asking a local school are they actually going to charge me a lot of money?

I'm 17 by the way, if that has any sort of impact.

Thanks
Reply 1
Basically you just self study the subject for however long you want (let’s say 2 years) then when the time comes for the exam you can sign up as a private candidate at exam centres which is usually £50 per each paper.
T
Original post by Oljen
Basically you just self study the subject for however long you want (let’s say 2 years) then when the time comes for the exam you can sign up as a private candidate at exam centres which is usually £50 per each paper.

This wouldnt work for any sciences since a practical endorsement is also required to be passed
Reply 3
Original post by Levi23317
T

This wouldnt work for any sciences since a practical endorsement is also required to be passed

Yeah, and Biology is one of the subjects I wanted to complete. The others don't require any practical endorsement from what I believe.

Original post by Oljen

A lot of websites online suggest you'll be paying near thousands to be entered as a private candidate, even my old sixth form headteacher told me I would be paying that amount. I'm not sure what to do.
Reply 4
I have a friend who dropped out of school, didn't get a levels, and debated getting them later (currently 18, Yr 14) and it was so complicated... Schools don't like to take older candidates/it makes their lives harder tbh. Have you looked at Internet tutoring? They might be able to help you sit
Original post by lyinglying
hello
so I came to a decision a long time ago that I think I could come out with the best results for A levels if I did them at home, with private tutors maybe, rather than having to attend a sixth form everyday.
However I just don't know the way to go about it. On AQA's website they listed schools around my area that will potentially take private candidates. Do I ring them and ask them? Do I have to go to them? And if I'm asking a local school are they actually going to charge me a lot of money?

Thanks

Just tell your parents you intend to be home schooled and then you can decide on your A levels.

You can either just buy text books or buy an online course with a bit of tutor support.

You need a private exam centre to sort out all the admin plus provide you with a place to take the exam.

The exam fee I would say is c £100 per subject.
The centre fee is likely to be a further £150- £300+ depending on the centre and where you live.
The endorsement is gained by going on a course and the cost for that is £800-£1400 or higher if you want extras.

Your job to sort yourself out.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Just tell your parents you intend to be home schooled and then you can decide on your A levels.

You can either just buy text books or buy an online course with a bit of tutor support.

You need a private exam centre to sort out all the admin plus provide you with a place to take the exam.

The exam fee I would say is c £100 per subject.
The centre fee is likely to be a further £150- £300+ depending on the centre and where you live.
The endorsement is gained by going on a course and the cost for that is £800-£1400 or higher if you want extras.

Your job to sort yourself out.

are you allowed to be homeschooled at 17 though?
i don't think the actual content of a levels will be an issue for me. I'm a good learner I think, and given my gcse's and my work ethic for other things I don't think I'd struggle with learning A levels. It's just the government say u gotta do full time education or full time work between 16 and 18, so is homeschooling really an option?
are you allowed to be homeschooled at 17 though?
i don't think the actual content of a levels will be an issue for me. I'm a good learner I think, and given my gcse's and my work ethic for other things I don't think I'd struggle with learning A levels. It's just the government say u gotta do full time education or full time work between 16 and 18, so is homeschooling really an option?

Id say not if u wana do any sciences. Why do u wana be homeschooled if u dont mind me asking?
Yes.
hello

Thanks

YES ring them and ask some also provide practicals for science things, u can do it with or without practicals and its more expensive with practicals, i heard the cost for science with practicals at least at my local exam centre is like 1 grand each subject, but without it (just exams n no practicals) its 300-400 quid, so yes, ring them and say that you saw them on the AQA website as a qualified school for the AQA A level exams and ask them about the process of applying to sit there, you can get a part time job asap to help pay off the costs fairly easily, go get a warehouse job will be quick money, but the cost at my local exam centre for maths is 370 quid, that covers all 3 papers, just get in touch with them, you could email them as well but calling will be faster n more reliable since sometimes they dont respond to emails just make sure u know everything before the exam and dedicate enough time to it

since ur doing 3 a levels and ur 17 i assume the start of year 13 u might wanna take a gap year too, so 2 years to study 3 a levels seems reasonable n youll finish at the same time as if someone was taking a gap year, but dont konw if u already covered year 1 content, then u could probs get it done within 1 year if u can idk though it depends on u personally.
Yes you can be home educated up to 18, although if you were in school before it might be tricky in terms of convincing LEA that you’re being properly educated not just dropping out - otoh lots of LEAs don’t really bother with home edders anyway so you might be ok.

However - think carefully and maybe don’t rule out going to college - I did GCSEs at home but I think I would have struggled with the A level requirements without the support of teachers at college. I do know of people that have done it though.

Re prices, centres tend to charge extra on top of basic exam fees, for invigilators etc, so my GCSEs for example cost around £100 each

Quick Reply

Latest